CONFIRMED! Splash Mountain REFURB: August 28 - November 16, 2017

There was a major plan to refurb Space Mountain in 2009. Right now Space is on the list but it is unsure when it would get a refurb.

Space likely won't ever get taken down but would benefit greatly from a refurbishment.

As a Disneyland vet I was excited to give the MK version of space mtn a try when I made my first trip to WDW last month. It's my favorite ride at Disneyland and I was pretty disappointed by the Orlando version. It is pretty jerky but no music playing is what really brings the ride down for me.

As for the topic at hand it sucks for those who were looking forward to riding Splash. I actually liked Orlandos version more than Disneylands which I've found isn't usually the case for most ppl. The Disneyland version kinda has the same problem as Orlandos Space Mtn.... Jerky. Not nearly as bad as Space Mtn in Orlando but I think it's more of a testament to how smooth the MK version of Splash is.

As a Disneyland vet I was excited to give the MK version of space mtn a try when I made my first trip to WDW last month. It's my favorite ride at Disneyland and I was pretty disappointed by the Orlando version. It is pretty jerky but no music playing is what really brings the ride down for me.

As for the topic at hand it sucks for those who were looking forward to riding Splash. I actually liked Orlandos version more than Disneylands which I've found isn't usually the case for most ppl. The Disneyland version kinda has the same problem as Orlandos Space Mtn.... Jerky. Not nearly as bad as Space Mtn in Orlando but I think it's more of a testament to how smooth the MK version of Splash is.
Yep, that 2009 refurb would've taken care of some of these problems. I don't necessarily need the speakers but it does need a fix up.

Yep, that 2009 refurb would've taken care of some of these problems. I don't necessarily need the speakers but it does need a fix up.

Maybe that's just me in regards to the speakers cause I've been on it so many times at Disneyland. Not just cause I like the music but the timing of it to go along with the drops and turns just makes it an amazing ride for me. It was so weird for me without that and only hearing sounds of other trains going along the tracks.

We missed Splash on our last trip 3 years ago because it was down the day we were at MK. I was so bummed as it was what I most looking forward to. I had planned to ride it extra this trip to make up for it! I can't believe this. I won't be able to handle any other rides being down after knowing this! Only rides I don't like were supposed to be refurbs!!!

I only brought it into it because you made it relevant by saying that you don't remember them ever doing it. That would make sense if you were older. It really doesn't at your age.

At any rate, I'll bow out. Those on both sides of this one aren't going to change their minds.
Well I will take over with one post then. Your posts have all been steeped in logic and common sense regarding the timing of the Splash refurb. No one yet has come up with a response that makes any sense as to why Disney would choose to do a water ride during hot months instead of January-March. The fact that there is another super secret rehab coming in early 2018 is IRRELEVANT to buckeye's valid point about moving that secret one to August 2017 and moving the most popular water/wet ride to the winter!

I'm "excited," too! If I had to pick something to be closed for refurb during our trip, it would be Splash or Space Mountain. One less ride I don't like, but endure for DD's sake, and bonus that I don't like getting wet on rides, so I'm good with this. Maybe I'll get lucky and Space will be down for some reason while we're there. :duck::p
This exactly. Whew, dodged a bullet.:yay:

:wave2: Yes! I am dropping into my own thread to remind everyone that this is TPAS, not Rumors and News! @rteetz has not only provided the factual info for the basis of this thread, he has been involved in answering a number of questions.

On TPAS, posters are entitled to share their opinions of Attractions and Strategies in a non-argumentative manner without directly attacking others.

Please continue to follow the DIS Guidelines when sharing your opinions regarding the refurb of this popular ride. :-)

However, since we don't know the reason why the annual rehab was moved, we're not in a position to assess the validity of the decision.

I'm certainly not able to second-guess the decisions of those who have all the information in front of them, including the long-term roadmap for all the other efforts that will be done and the resources needed to accomplish them.

Does the decision look odd? Sure it does. Partial information can be like that sometimes.

Well I will take over with one post then. Your posts have all been steeped in logic and common sense regarding the timing of the Splash refurb. No one yet has come up with a response that makes any sense as to why Disney would choose to do a water ride during hot months instead of January-March. The fact that there is another super secret rehab coming in early 2018 is IRRELEVANT to buckeye's valid point about moving that secret one to August 2017 and moving the most popular water/wet ride to the winter!
I don't find it irrelevant. The people who plan these things do it strategically so it all fits together like a giant puzzle.

As far as major rides in the same park, I went to Disneyland in Feb of 2015 as they geared up for the 60th anniversary. The following was closed.
Disneyland Park
The castle was under a tarp which was not only ugly... it impacted traffic flow to Fantasyland. This was done with about two weeks notice to guests.
Railroad
Peter Pan
Matterhorn
ALL of Critter Country was walled off past Haunted mansion. This closed:
Canoes
Splash
Winnie the Pooh
Hungry Bear Restaurant

CA Adventure
Soarin'
Luigi's flying Tires
The lagoon was empty- so no World of Color and it was pretty ugly
Ariel's Grotto (Princess Dining spot for DL Resort)
All of the Grizzly Peak area was walled off from the hub area to the entrance to the Grand. This greatly impacted traffic flow and closed:
Soarin
Redwood Creek challenge trail
Grizzly River Run

So.... there is definitely history of Disney closing multiple "big rides" as they gear up for anniversaries. Has we gone a week earlier- all the above was closed plus Small World. It was "off season" but the multiple closures- especially of whole lands- made it feel like summer crowd wise.

If true, this really sucks. Not only is it a huge chunk of time to refurbish an attraction, but the weather is still hot in August, September and October. Why not refurbish it in December, January, or February??

I was at Disneyland last October, and yep, Splash Mountain was down. So we are planning an October WDW visit, and Splash Mountain will be down again?? Thanks for nothing.

I strongly suspect that they are closing this E Ticket for that long in order to save money -- as if they weren't already swimming in it. Since when does a routine refurb take nearly three months?? Scrooge McDuck is now firmly in charge of the purse strings, and he's pinching pennies while raking in the billions.

I don't find it irrelevant. The people who plan these things do it strategically so it all fits together like a giant puzzle.

Sure. Disney can make any arbitrary, penny pinching move they want, and claim they have their own mysterious reasons to which we are not privy.

And the timing is still terrible, no matter what excuse they have.

Last edited:
Sure. Disney can make any arbitrary, penny pinching move they want, and claim they have their own mysterious reasons to which we are not privy.

And the timing is still terrible, no matter what excuse they have.
Would it occur to you that maybe guests are least affected during this period? You have schools going back in session at the end of August and September. So those become relatively down times. Periods in October and November are also down times. They aren't taking this down in June and July for example.

May I ask the time period of that graph is representing?
I don't know if it is for a specific year but maybe just an annual average type look. im sure on a yearly basis actual number change but the general idea is the fall period is less crowded than summer. Of course Jan-March might have been more ideal but they are trying to affect the least amount of guests possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter