• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spinoff of "Was I the jerk here" thread.....

One time I took my grandsons to see captain underpants. 🤪

The oldest one is on the spectrum. He has difficulty sitting properly in a seat. There was a woman next to him. I looked over and at one point he had slid so far down in the seat that he was on his back and his legs and feet were sticking up in the air. I’m sure sitting next to that was a little weird. I told him to sit up right. Also before the movie started but during the previews, the woman was looking at her phone. You know how they make the announcement to not use cell phones during the show. Well the grandson tells the woman she’s not supposed to be on her phone! I nearly died! I shushed him and thought to myself any adult who sits through captain underpants has earned the right to look at their phone. ☺️

So I guess that day we were that family.
The woman next to me in a crowded movie theater kept talking to her small child, (needlessly) commenting/explaining the movie to her. When I finally shushed the woman she retorted, "It's a Disney movie." So what? I paid to watch/listen to the movie, not listen to her talking. She was a bit quieter after that.

I expect some noise and disruptions at a kids movie. I wouldn't get upset about it, but if they are doing something like throwing popcorn or crawling around me or pulling on my seat back;, I would ask the adult to have them stop that behavior, and if it continued, then I'd go get a manager. Kid wallering around or making some noise is to be expected at a kids movie. Adults talking loud enough that I can hear them constantly, that would annoy me too.

The people who bring their kids to more adult themed movies, and then let them be disruptive....ugh. Get a sitter or wait until it comes out on DVD/streaming.
Anything PG-13 and above shouldn't be a place for young kids, sorry.

This is a spin-off of the thread "Was I the jerk here" thread...Have you ever sat next to someone really strange at the movies? I have NO issues at all sitting next to people I don't know at the movies EXCEPT in the case that happened to me a few years ago. I bought a ticket online for a movie, and was the very first one to do so. I got a seat in the middle in the back row. When I get there, I saw a man in the seat right next to mine. I immediately got the creeps and moved a few seats away, hoping no one would claim it. Thankfully no one did. Now before I get slammed, that man had every right to purchase that seat. But WHY in a theater that sits over 100 and only 8 people bought tickets, would you pick a seat right next to someone you don't know? If I go to a movie where there's not many people and someone 's sitting in an area that I like, I'll at least pick one two seats away.
Ok so do you know how in the episode of the Big Bang Theory when they go to see Force Awakens and are trying to give away Sheldon's ticket and they say no to Stuart because he brings little Tupperware containers of soup?

Cut to December 2017, I am all set in my seat with my popcorn and pretzel bites and water getting ready to see The Last Jedi and these two guys come to sit next to me and proceed to pull out thermos' of soup....i sat next to real life Stuart.

I can't answer anything because I'm lost at "my seat". You guys select the seat when you purchase a movie ticket? I've never seen that. You buy the ticket online and show your ticket code or you stand in line and purchase a ticket. Then you walk in and sit wherever.

I can't answer anything because I'm lost at "my seat". You guys select the seat when you purchase a movie ticket? I've never seen that. You buy the ticket online and show your ticket code or you stand in line and purchase a ticket. Then you walk in and sit wherever.
Man your places are way behind the times.

AMC in my area has been offering reserved seating for like 11 years at this point where it started in the converted Dine-In theaters (Fork and Screen and Cinema Suites although those names aren't used anymore) and then over the years rolled it out to all theaters (like Digital formats, IMAX, 3D, etc)

Looking at articles even in 2016 AMC had reserved seating in over 125 locations by that point before adding in NYC theaters.

I expect some noise and disruptions at a kids movie. I wouldn't get upset about it, but if they are doing something like throwing popcorn or crawling around me or pulling on my seat back;, I would ask the adult to have them stop that behavior, and if it continued, then I'd go get a manager. Kid wallering around or making some noise is to be expected at a kids movie. Adults talking loud enough that I can hear them constantly, that would annoy me too.

The people who bring their kids to more adult themed movies, and then let them be disruptive....ugh. Get a sitter or wait until it comes out on DVD/streaming.
Anything PG-13 and above shouldn't be a place for young kids, sorry.
Your post is why I wish there was an Alamo Drafthouse near me. I would love to go to PG-13 and above movies knowing that little kids wouldn't be allowed in. I expect noise at kid's movies which is why I don't go see those in theaters. I wait for those to come out on DVD/streaming.

As for the topic of the post, I haven't sat near anyone strange recently but I barely go to the movies anymore. The last movie I saw in theaters was Cats 2019 on opening day. My sister and I along with an older couple were the only ones in the theater. They sat right next to us (with 1 seat in between us) and the husband fell asleep for the entire movie. I can't say I blame him since it was Cats LOL

Not at a theater, but maybe 10 years ago at the State Fair DH and I were sitting at a long table in the food court area having a bite to eat. There were plenty of other empty tables under the tent.

This weird family comes and sits right next to us. Mom, Dad, and about six kids. They looked like backwoods 1930s Appalacia or something. No spaces between us, Dad sat directly next to me. He sits there while Mom and two kids go to get food. He lets the other kids run around. Then he starts talking to DH but it seemed like he was from outer space. We had no clue what he was trying to say.

We skedaddled outta there pretty fast. Thankfully we were just about finished eating anyway.
Were you sitting in the shade? If no other tables had shade and it was hot, I might join you too!

Funny you say that - when I go to the movies with my DS, on the way in he threatens me with bodily harm (JK) if I don't keep my trap shut. And here's me, just trying to enhance the experience for both of us with my witty commentary and thoughtful insights... :littleangel:
Good for your son!!
Remember you’re not in your living room and when you “enhance” the experience everyone around you can hear you.

Your post is why I wish there was an Alamo Drafthouse near me. I would love to go to PG-13 and above movies knowing that little kids wouldn't be allowed in. I expect noise at kid's movies which is why I don't go see those in theaters. I wait for those to come out on DVD/streaming.

As for the topic of the post, I haven't sat near anyone strange recently but I barely go to the movies anymore. The last movie I saw in theaters was Cats 2019 on opening day. My sister and I along with an older couple were the only ones in the theater. They sat right next to us (with 1 seat in between us) and the husband fell asleep for the entire movie. I can't say I blame him since it was Cats LOL
We went to see Top Gun, and the theater was packed. Pick your seats type theater, stadium seating w/recliners. Anyways, I was stuck next to a very large man. I wouldn't mention his size normally, because I am shaped like Pooh but with Piglet's height myself, but this guy kept moving his arm into my seat. It started on the armrest; fine he can have it. I'll keep my arm down beside me or in my lap. But he kept moving his arm...up to drink, down to replace, up to wipe his face, down to rest; over and over...and each time his arm would move into mine. Not to mention, he smelled like feet and BO, covered up with some sort of cologne, and he made commentary throughout the entire movie. He was there alone (people on the other side came in after him and left before the end of the movie), so I don't know who he was tlaking to. I thought I'll just scootch over and sit closer to DH, but he kept moving it further and further. At about halfway through the movie, I'm literally laying against the other armrest, with his bare arm resting up against my bare arm, a good 2" away from the armrest. So I pulled out my hand sanitizer (a gel), squirted some into my hands, and rubbed it on the arm. Left it very wet and a bit slimy (you know how globs of sanitizer are). When he put his arm back down after the 50th drink, his arm got coated in my sanitizer. He moved his arm, but about a quarter of the movie later, it was back; so I resanitized my arm, and he moved it away for good. UGH

Dh had his own issues, as the young lady beside him was busy without her shoes, legs pulled up into her seat, and kept checking her cellphone, fully lit, every 5 minutes. If It had a been a 'dark' movie, I would definitely have said something to her about it, because the light/dark thing screws me up, but DH waived at me to not say anything because he didn't want to come across as cranky old man to the mid 20s teeniebopper.

We decided that movies are going to be Monday nights or maybe Tuesday nights (cheaper tickets), as those are their 2 slowest days of the week, and we're waiting an extra week after the movies come out before we go see them. Sucks, but we just don't want to deal with this kind of stuff anymore.

Good for your son!!
Remember you’re not in your living room and when you “enhance” the experience everyone around you can hear you.
I need her son to come remind my mother-in-law of the same although can it also be for the living room 😁

She does 20 questions so commentary of a different category but it's bad enough she does it at home, it grates on us in terms of watching a movie with her but in theaters it's grating and embarrassing; it's why we've limited that outing in recent years.

We went to see Jurassic World last weekend. PG-13. The woman at the end of our row had an 7-9 year old boy and a girl who had to be under 3. The girl cried off and on during the movie. The man in front of us asked her a couple of times to take the girl out. She finally did and left the boy in his seat. I went to the restroom and she was standing at the hallway beside the steps so she could watch the movie and hold the little girl who seemed to be asleep. The girl way way too young for a movie that is really loud and scary (for a little one).

It was so long ago... literally watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation on opening night with my parents. Every seat was full and there would be no moving.

There was a couple sitting next to me and they were totally engaging in some "naughty behavior" :rolleyes:

My DH gets very irritated at people checking their phones in a movie theatre—not that I like it. Once, at a somewhat crowded film he asked the woman next to him to stop using her phone to text, which she had been doing repeatedly. At the end of the movie she got very aggressive with him, said she had never seen such outrageous behavior, that she was dealing with an emergency, etc. I’m doubting it was much of an emergency if she didn’t have to leave the theatre. People, be polite!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter