Spin-off - Popular Named child

I have a very 70s name. Born in 72 and named Kimberly. I think it was #4 on the list for that year. My husband has a classic name - Daniel - but has unusual middle name. My oldest is named Brett (family name) and we've only known one other boy by that name briefly when he was in middle school and he moved away. His name didn't crack the top 40. My middle is named Kyle (#25 the year he was born) and there were 1-2 other boys named Kyle in his class. My daughter's name is Kayleigh (also not in the top 40) but there are a few here in town named Kaylee. (I didn't think I spelled it weird - I just thought Lee was for a boy and Leigh for a girl). Love all their names though and wouldn't change them.

My daughters name ranked 38 in 1979, her name was Tara. I really liked it and it fit her.
My son has a name that is average.

My mom swore she didn't know anyone else who had named a child Jennifer.

DD's name hovers in the 60's, which is good, IMO. She knows others by her name, but she never had 3 in a single class.

My preference is for classic, timeless names out of the top 100.

My DD is Margaret.

I have my heart set on Eleanor if I have another girl...it is in the top 100 but not too high up there. I'm stumped for boys names, though. I love William and James, but those are pretty popular. I LOVE August for a boy but I'm not sure my DH does.

I absolutely adore the name Margaret. If we had a girl, she would have been Cora Margaret. I love Eleanor, too, but it has become over the top popular here. B/C of the Ella/Ellie nn. I see it everywhere :( Such a beautiful name and I hate that it is becoming "trendy".

I LOOOOOOOVE August for a boy. Love love love. It's a family name for me, but DH would not go for it.

My parents thought they were naming me something different in 1960 - Lisa (#6 that year and #1 for several years after). I was always Lisa C. in high school and college. Funnily enough, now I only know one other Lisa - wonder where they all went? LOL

Probably because my name was so common, I always liked different names. Oldest DS is Kenton. We've met a couple others but not many.

For 2nd DS I liked Landon and DH liked Jared, so we compromised with Kevin, which is one of those middle of the road names - not unusual, but not too common.

For DD it was between Kaitlyn and Leighton. I'm so glad we went with Leighton because she ended up with several friends named Kaitlyn. I've only seen a couple of female Leighton's.

My 2 year old grandson is Jayden. I know everyone says it's popular, but around here he's the only one I know.

My 9 month old granddaughter is Lana (rhymes with banana). I only know one other and she's a teenager.

DD is Charlotte. When I was pregnant with her, we came up with the top 3 contenders. The other two are Eleanor and Meredith. I still love Meredith! A good friend of ours just named their DD Eleanor and so we've definitely crossed that name out.

This year alone, I know 5 Charlotte's who have been born! Crazy! That doesn't include Princess Kate or the Clinton family. We don't call DD anything but Charlotte. I'm not huge into shortened names for girls.

For this baby, I think for a girl we are leaning towards Meredith, perhaps Meredith Suzanne. Suzanne is a family name. You really don't hear either too often.

For a boy, as crazy popular it is, I love Henry! DH and I both have a Grandpa Charles so we would love to continue that. Either Henry Charles or Charles Henry aka "Hank". The other two names we've thrown around are Charles Benjamin "Ben" and David Theodore "Theo" Neither of those are too popular either. I like names that are timeless.

Me too! I have a name that was popular in the 1950's-1960's and I was born in the mid-70's, so everyone that I ever met with my name as a kid was a middle aged woman. And there are about 10 "normal" spellings, plus about a gazillion unusual spellings, so nobody ever spells it right. I never wanted my kids to have to say "no...with an i. No, no...two r's and an i. No...S, not C"

And while it's true that I found keychains, they were always spelled wrong!

Funny enough, my DD11 has a fairly common traditional name, and a pretty trendy nickname, and both are spelled traditionally, but it is hard to find her name on things. It's always either the French version of her full name or two other names that are very similar but not exactly hers.

Go figure!

The bolded is exactly what I was talking about. Thanks for clarifying in the later post. :)

DD is Charlotte. When I was pregnant with her, we came up with the top 3 contenders. The other two are Eleanor and Meredith. I still love Meredith! A good friend of ours just named their DD Eleanor and so we've definitely crossed that name out.

This year alone, I know 5 Charlotte's who have been born! Crazy! That doesn't include Princess Kate or the Clinton family. We don't call DD anything but Charlotte. I'm not huge into shortened names for girls.

For this baby, I think for a girl we are leaning towards Meredith, perhaps Meredith Suzanne. Suzanne is a family name. You really don't hear either too often.

For a boy, as crazy popular it is, I love Henry! DH and I both have a Grandpa Charles so we would love to continue that. Either Henry Charles or Charles Henry aka "Hank". The other two names we've thrown around are Charles Benjamin "Ben" and David Theodore "Theo" Neither of those are too popular either. I like names that are timeless.

Henry is a [relatively] popular name in our area. DS and DD both had one in their class.

I wanted unique; DH wanted common. So we had to settle on commonly uncommon ;) Yeah... it wasn't easy!

DS is Simon
DD is Mallory

I thought we did pretty well, but there are at least 2 other Mallorys at their school.

Have never heard of another Simon though! :)

My name is Linda, born in 1949. The number one name for girls in the late 40's, early 50's. I grew up with 2 other Lindas and all three of us had middle names that started with J - Jane, Joan and Jean. DH's name was # 4.

DS is Brian, # 9 in 1978, DD is Carla, # 165 in 1982. I was surprised to see her name so high.

Have never heard of another Simon though! :)

I have a Simon! There aren't very many of them. While I was in labor, we told a nurse what his name would be and she said, "That's an old name. I haven't heard that in a while." It's true, but her name was Clara, and I had a hard time not laughing because I think Simon is more modern than Clara. It's a pretty name that I love, but hardly anyone uses it anymore.

I am a Lisa born at the time it was #1. I went to school with three others with the same first name, but we were in very few classes together so no problems there.
My husband was #13 for the year he was born - Kevin
Both the kids names are also in the top 20 for the year they were born, but have not run into many with the same name in their schools - Jessica and Ryan. My husband and I both wanted fairly traditional names with common spelling.

We wanted a not too common name for DD, but nothing weird or unheard of either. Her name is Valerie, but she sometimes leaves off the last e. Valerie's popularity apparently peaked at #60 in 1959.

My school had an overabundance of Lisa, or the variations, Elisa or Eliza or Elise. (But no Liza). Makes sense, since Lisa was a top 10 name in the early 1960s.

I took a look at the 10 ten names for 2014. All of the girls names are puke-worthy, IMO, and about half of the boys names are.

My youngest dd's name is sophia. while i love the name i was not going to suggest it to her dad because it was (in 2007, but still is) way too popular. while i was in labor he was looking though the baby book and said he liked sophia. since i loved it and it was better than the others he said i went with it. there have only been a few other sophia's around that i know of, so it isn't too bad yet. my oldest dd is shantelle and my son is terrell. im starting to see his name a bit more now, when we named him i didnt know anyone with his name.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter