Spin-off Do you skip or ignore certain posters?

Wishing on a star

DIS Veteran
This is a spin-off from the Anonymous Poster thread.
I notice some people saying that they skip or ignore and have on “Ignore” other DIS posters. I think this brings up an interesting topic!

I am just wondering, why and how any of you would do this.
It looks like those who do skip or ignore other posters do this because they basically happen to disagree with and therefore do not like the other person. Not because the other person goes after them and maybe personally attacks them.

I guess, if this is generally true, would it not be the ultimate of only wanting to hear what you want to hear?
I guess it would not really be censorship. But would that not be a purposeful and personal way of censorship?

I do not skip or ignore. I don’t know why I would want to do that? There have been those that purposefully try to come at me, and even some personal attacks. I can easily see that right away, and either just blow it off or, if necessary, state that will just not “engage”

I ‘ignore’ the random ad posts which appear in clusters, usually in Chinese (?). And also someone who posts nonsensical gobbledygook.
I am interested in other points of view and enjoy reading other peoples’ opinions. I think, sometimes, that polite debate is becoming a lost art form. 😉

I had to check, but I have five people on ignore. I usually put someone on ignore if they are unable to discuss opposing viewpoints without making it personal. They don’t necessarily need to be attacking me. If I see the same poster doing it multiple times, they go on ignore. It just makes my browsing more pleasant.

I don’t have a problem with someone having an opposite opinion to mine. I enjoy having a calm and rational discussion about why I think the way I do and why they think differently. Occasionally one of us will actually change our opinion, but at the least it can make it easier to understand a different point of view even if you don’t agree with it. The world would be a very boring place if we all had the same point of view on everything!

Sometimes I actually specifically look at some posters to see what new ridiculous thing he/she has come up with to post. There are ppl’s post I skip over not b/c I usually disagree with them but b/c the way they post or the length of their posts annoys me so I tend to skip over their comments in a thread.

Life's too short to deal with people on a message board who cause me stress. Most of the people on my ignore list are probably not even here anymore, they just come on and post a blitz of annoying threads. If a poster bothers me, I hit ignore. You are free not to.

I only have one. I have thick skin but this person is always against everything I say so I put her on ignore :)

I'll never put anybody on ignore but there are posters I simply won't interact with. There are also lots of threads I don't bother reading because I've got no interest in the topic or absolutely nothing to add to the conversation - specifically the shooting/gun related ones. What's the point, really? :confused3

I notice some people saying that they skip or ignore and have on “Ignore” other DIS posters. I think this brings up an interesting topic!

It looks like those who do skip or ignore other posters do this because they basically happen to disagree with and therefore do not like the other person. Not because the other person goes after them and maybe personally attacks them.

I guess, if this is generally true, would it not be the ultimate of only wanting to hear what you want to hear?
I guess it would not really be censorship. But would that not be a purposeful and personal way of censorship?

I do not skip or ignore. I don’t know why I would want to do that? There have been those that purposefully try to come at me, and even some personal attacks. I can easily see that right away, and either just blow it off or, if necessary, state that will just not “engage”
I have never put anyone on Ignore because I disagreed with their viewpoint. Like others, I like hearing other viewpoints - especially from posters who live in different areas of the country, and other countries, than I do - and feel like I have learned some really interesting things here over the years. (Like OP I mentioned you to my DD over Thanksgiving as we were meal planning as I remembered how much you hated Bell's Seasoning, your being from the south and us from New England, lol.)

I've only put two posters on Ignore before and that was because they were just hostile and rude. I took one off because that person seemed to have calmed down an bit and I've actually enjoyed reading some of their posts (even though we generally have differing viewpoints). Some posters I really love reading their thoughts and marvel at how well they can present their opinions.

I don’t have anyone on ignore. I know there are at least a few who always have an opposing stance to mine, but that’s life! It would be boring if we were all the same.

I always try and remain respectful, but I know I’m not perfect. And sometimes it’s hard to accurately get viewpoints across clearly on a message board.

I do have a few people on ignore. I don't want to see the endless stream of "name a song with the letter Q in the title" or "what is your favorite color of fruit" threads. I've also ignored a few that I feel are just trolling the boards, and one or three that just irritate me enough that I don't see a need to engage with them about anything ever.

I don't have to interact with everyone I 'meet' or 'talk' to on any message board, or in real life. That's not censorship; that's personal choice. IMO,
censorship would be me stopping you from meeting or talking to them by blacklisting them on the site from your page.

I've not put anyone on ignore. Unless I see someone directly attack someone else I'm far more likely to simply hit my 'back' button.

I think in all my years on the dis; I've only hit the ignore button on 1 poster and I don't remember exactly why etc., but there have also been 1 or 2 posters who if I notice it's a thread they've started I won't even click on it. I just feel like somethings are just pointless and if I feel like someone is ALWAYS full of itor ridiculous in my opinion; then I know it's better for all involved if I leave that for others. I feel like it's a total waste of time and if I were to reply it probably wouldn't be what the OP wanted to hear as I'm sure it would have more to do with my thoughts of them being ridiculous. Almost never happens, but there's 1 or 2.

I do have a few people on ignore. I don't want to see the endless stream of "name a song with the letter Q in the title" or "what is your favorite color of fruit" threads. I've also ignored a few that I feel are just trolling the boards, and one or three that just irritate me enough that I don't see a need to engage with them about anything ever.

I don't have to interact with everyone I 'meet' or 'talk' to on any message board, or in real life. That's not censorship; that's personal choice. IMO,
censorship would be me stopping you from meeting or talking to them by blacklisting them on the site from your page.
100% agree...I totally forgot about the extreme string of senseless threads about nothing...almost positive I ignored that poster...as that got real annoying real quick.

I think in all my years on the dis; I've only hit the ignore button on 1 poster and I don't remember exactly why etc., but there have also been 1 or 2 posters who if I notice it's a thread they've started I won't even click on it. I just feel like somethings are just pointless and if I feel like someone is ALWAYS full of itor ridiculous in my opinion; then I know it's better for all involved if I leave that for others. I feel like it's a total waste of time and if I were to reply it probably wouldn't be what the OP wanted to hear as I'm sure it would have more to do with my thoughts of them being ridiculous. Almost never happens, but there's 1 or 2.
Those don't bother me. Sometimes the topics here get pretty sparse and those aren't a bad filler. I generally like the song threads. I don't watch a lot of TV shows or play games, so those end to be the threads I skip over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter