Space Mountain: DisneyWorld vs. Disneyland

Not even close...DL's is much, much better!

It's faster, darker, and a more thrilling ride than WDW's version. Plus, the music and the seating system.

Plus, they have a GREAT loading system for disabled riders...that pulls a car off the track, with a separate loading area. GREAT for my two sons with cerebral palsy!

Most duplicated things are mostly equal between DL and WDW, or one version may have some minor improvements over the other...but not Space...definitely worth the trip to DL!

We've never been to Disneyland but DD saw Space Mountain in Disneyland has different cars, two to a seat. I was just curious if the ride itself is different. If so, which do you enjoy more?

Strange that someone said it's the same ride, other than similar theming I think the two rides are far different. I was very disappointed that the MK version was not updated to the newer DL version during the refurb a couple years ago, because I think the DL version is vastly superior. So smooth it seems faster and longer at the same time. Synchronized music in each car along with the ability to re-theme for holidays. Much better at DL, unfortunately.

I just returned from DL and my friend & I were talking about how much better Disneylands is. More comfortable seating, music, smoother, darker.

DL version is better I can actually HEAR the music and its not as 'rough' as DWs. I prefer RnR to SM at DW.

I remember the first time we rode it a few years back at Disneyland. My son and I got off the ride and his hair was standing up. WDW is tame compared to DL. DL is far superior and the music score is amazing. It is pitch black in certain sequences. You have no idea where you are and the ride is sooo smooth.

Other rides that are superior at Disneyland include:
Pirates of the Carribean
Indiana Jones vs. Dinosaur
Peter Pan
It's A Small World
Enchanted Tiki Room
Mad Tea Party (teacups)
Autotopia vs. Speedway
Don't get me started on Parades, Fireworks, stage shows, and Fantasmic! (they all rock compared to florida versions)

Rides at WDW that are better:
Splash Mountain
Winnie the pooh (although I like how the ride starts outside at DL)

I agree with everyone; DL's is so much better. After riding it last July and then riding WDW's in October,DD and I couldn't believe how bad it was in comparison. Not sure if I want to even ride WDW's again. I may wait until we get to California again!

DL Space Mountain is much better than MK's Space Mountain for all the reasons previously stated. I may be in the minority but I do prefer the single file cars vs. 2 per row. Space Mountain DL during the holidays is awesome with the added star light effect.

On a different note, California Screamin' at California Adventure is a great coast as well.

Absolutely NO comparison! DL rocks the socks off WDW.

Basically they shut the ride down for over a year - completely replaced the track and reworked the ride. They brought it up to current technology with sound - GREAT cars for the disabled which do not slow down loading - the "dark" part of the ride is truly dark and the ride.....where there is absolutely no comparison.

When we heard Disney was going to shut down Space Mountain in WDW we expected the same result. Not so much. Basically the same ride with some fun stuff to entertain you in line.

It's like the actress who should have retired years ago but just puts on another layer of makup and is back on stage. Sad....so sad.

WDW is a shadow of the great ride in DL.

I don't know how true it is but I remember reading on Screamscape that the Disney World version originally was supposed to have all brand new track with the same layout and more effects with music in the cars but they canceled it to save money and because it would have meant closing the ride during the holiday season and they didn't want to do that so they cut out a lot of the planned changes.

Wow, really wish I could try out the one at DL! All I've ever known is the one at WDW :P

This is a little off topic but have you seen the Space Mountain in Paris? It looks so awesome!!

All I can say is I have ridden SM and WDW plenty of times but no more. I can't take the ride anymore. When I get off I am happy the ride is over because the bumps in the ride are so harsh it feels like someone is shooting my back with lightning. No other coaster at any park I have been to does this. Seems like when they take you over a "hill" in SM the cart comes up off the track a little and then slams back down after the apex. When it slams down it is like a jackhammer on my spine. BY the end of the ride I see stars not in the "sky" but in my head from the pain. I have never been on SM at DL and or any other ride at DL but have been to WDW more times than I can count.

DD is a lot more afraid of the ride in WDW. I have to keep a hand on her shoulder as we're riding and it's uncomfortable leaning forward to do so, and a lot more bumpier. DL's is side by side and so she feels safer with me beside her. The DL ride is smoother and since the sound is coming off right next to your ears in your vehicle it's definitely a more "surround" sound quality than hearing it echo around the space at WDW.

Wow, really wish I could try out the one at DL! All I've ever known is the one at WDW :P

This is a little off topic but have you seen the Space Mountain in Paris? It looks so awesome!!

The Space Mountain is Paris is probably the most uncomfortable ride I've ever been on :lmao: The premise is great - you blast off into space, there's fast-paced music coming out of the headrest, there's a loop, and corkscrews ... but wow, it jerks you around SO much. It's such a shame :sad2:

As for the DL vs. WDW SM - DL is without a doubt much better. It's faster (or at least it seems to be), darker, smoother and the soundtrack is clearer. I was really excited by the idea they were going to improve WDW's SM to that level, and still for the life of me can't figure out what they did to it (bar add a somewhat pointless interactive queue) :confused3

All I can say is I have ridden SM and WDW plenty of times but no more. I can't take the ride anymore. When I get off I am happy the ride is over because the bumps in the ride are so harsh it feels like someone is shooting my back with lightning. <snip>

You would love the DL version then, as it has no bumps at all. Just smooth and fast... I agree with you, I will probably never ride the WDW version again, it feels like I've been beaten up compared to the DL version.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!