Southwest Flight Change

Bowen9475

DIS Veteran
I have a trip to Disney in February on Southwest I booked a few months ago. When looking at my account a few days ago I noticed that trip is flagged in red with a message about being able to change the flights at no additional cost. I believe it is due to the 737 Max 8s. Does anyone know how long this will be available? I’d love to add a day but haven’t been able to add that night to my DVC reservation. Thanks!

It’s up to you to check it and decide if the newly assigned time works for you.

Sounds as though you stumbled over the flight change when on the website vs an email notification. I’ve always received an email notification. Have been several since the max issue this year.

I received a new type of email notice from them on 8/29/19 re a 20 minute flight change...i.e. a buying opportunity!

Was thrilled as we were booked on last NS of day & I was able to follow the link in the email to change to the 1st one, Friday after Thanksgiving that was more than quadruple what I had originally paid :)

I understand that you would like to keep your options open but if you really want to add a day onto your trip, why not grab a back up reservation thru disney while you attempt to add onto your DVC stay? I was only given a 4 day window in the email to make any changes BTW. IMO you need to call them once you make up your mind and request an adjustment ASAP.

“We want to make you aware of a change we’ve made to your upcoming trip. This was done proactively due to a Southwest flight schedule change on your day of travel.

Please review your new itinerary below. Your reservation is confirmed and no further action is required.

In the event this new itinerary does not work for you, we are offering the one time opportunity to change your flight date(s) and/or time(s) at no additional cost in accordance with our established reaccommodation practices.

For expedited service, you can change your flight at XXXXXXX between the hours of 12:00pm (CDT) August 30, 2019 and 11:59pm (CDT) September 2, 2019.

Flights with no additional cost will display as “Available”. Should you need further assistance, you can reach a Southwest Representative at 1-888-871-8321. Please keep in mind that the time to reach a representative may be longer than normal during this time.

We look forward to seeing you onboard soon.

-Your friends at Southwest”

I think I had two weeks that I could change my flight for free online. I’m not sure what they would’ve done if I would’ve called after that two weeks and still tried to change it.

I think I had two weeks that I could change my flight for free online. I’m not sure what they would’ve done if I would’ve called after that two weeks and still tried to change it.
Ummm, so you had 2 weeks vs the 4 days I was given via my email?

Where’s the LUV? Talk about inconsistency as to policy, lol

As soon as I discover a change I don't like I would just hand pick alternatives I would like (excluding flights I dislike, early morning homeboundss being some of those for me,) and telephone in and request a re-change. But I would not accept any price increase, preferring instead to ask fora higher level reservationist if needed to make a case.

This is due to the Max8 decertification. They have been taken off the schedule through March 6 and a lot of the schedule has been affected. Previous reports are that the changes are only available to be made online for a limited time, but many people have been successful getting changes put through afterwards by calling in.

I have been keeping an eye out for this, as I have nonstops coming up in January. But when I check my booking online, there is no advisory or warning language present. I have read that Southwest is taking it on the chin with this MAX issue because they are one of the biggest customers. Hope they don't boot me.

We had flights in both January and April that I never saw this notice about. I was able to switch my February flights, each with a stop, both to non stops. Happy with that. I never ended up switching dates. The notice was gone when i checked on Sunday.

Yep, I got a short window to change from the changed flights for both my October and January evening direct flights. But because of schedules, lost almost a whole day, for both times, as had to take the only available direct flight in the morning that SW bumped us to. When I called and tried to come home from a different airport, the no cost does not work, and the cost for that change was large enough, I decided, stay with the changes they made. Still salty about loosing meal planned and park time in October, and now having to speed out of our arriving cruise, and not relax and enjoy some sightseeing.

Such is the life of not having a hub SW airport. Many times, there is only one direct flight to FLA airports. And yeah, the Max issue.

Yep, I got a short window to change from the changed flights for both my October and January evening direct flights. But because of schedules, lost almost a whole day, for both times, as had to take the only available direct flight in the morning that SW bumped us to. When I called and tried to come home from a different airport, the no cost does not work, and the cost for that change was large enough, I decided, stay with the changes they made. Still salty about loosing meal planned and park time in October, and now having to speed out of our arriving cruise, and not relax and enjoy some sightseeing.

Such is the life of not having a hub SW airport. Many times, there is only one direct flight to FLA airports. And yeah, the Max issue.
I don't know that any of their policies for no-cost change work when you're changing airports.

I remember when we were under the Irma no-change timeline which we took advantage of. I don't think we could have switched to another airport (even if we had one available to us) and still taken advantage of no cost when we added a day and flew home the day after our original flight.

I have been keeping an eye out for this, as I have nonstops coming up in January. But when I check my booking online, there is no advisory or warning language present. I have read that Southwest is taking it on the chin with this MAX issue because they are one of the biggest customers. Hope they don't boot me.
Sorry, but you are too late for January changes. The change option was offered for most of January more than a month ago. This is a rolling offer, about one month at a time, until the MAX issues are resolved and the aircraft are placed back in the schedule. They just did the February-March flights. This offer will move forward, only, and is not retroactive, once the offer window closes.

I don't know that any of their policies for no-cost change work when you're changing airports.

I remember when we were under the Irma no-change timeline which we took advantage of. I don't think we could have switched to another airport (even if we had one available to us) and still taken advantage of no cost when we added a day and flew home the day after our original flight.

I switched from LAX to SNA in August.

That is good to hear Mackenzie. I know when I tried to change from TPA to MCO in this coming January, they said since the MCO flight cost more than my TPA flight, I'd have to pay the difference. And this was the day after I was notified of the change. Oh well, I guess I should have called again, or tried to do online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts