southwest airlines: how strict are they about carry on luggage size?

figment forever

Earning My Ears
i'm trying to just take a carry on and no checked luggage so i don't have to waste time going to baggage claim after my return flight (i'll be using magical express so it wouldn't matter one way or another on the way there)

i know southwest airlines is much more generous with overhead bin space and allow 50 linear inches where as most airlines only allow 45 linear inches.

i have a small carry on rolling suitcase which is 22x13x9 so that would work and actually be 6 linear inches smaller than the max.

BUT.... i would rather take the other suitcase i have which is 25x16x9.5.
it is 1/2 an inch over the limit though so i'm wondering if southwest will really be super strict about it or not?
i would not have it overly full and bulging so i should fit just fine.

i'm trying to just take a carry on and no checked luggage so i don't have to waste time going to baggage claim after my return flight (i'll be using magical express so it wouldn't matter one way or another on the way there)

i know southwest airlines is much more generous with overhead bin space and allow 50 linear inches where as most airlines only allow 45 linear inches.

i have a small carry on rolling suitcase which is 22x13x9 so that would work and actually be 6 linear inches smaller than the max.

BUT.... i would rather take the other suitcase i have which is 25x16x9.5.
it is 1/2 an inch over the limit though so i'm wondering if southwest will really be super strict about it or not?
i would not have it overly full and bulging so i should fit just fine.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/index.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-BAGS Carryon items are limited to one bag plus one smaller, personal-type item. Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10x16x24 inches. All Customers and Employees and their items are subject to a thorough physical search.

I doubt 25" would fit wheels first, it would have to go sideways, which takes extra bin space. Worse comes to worse, you would have to check it and SW doesn't charge.

25" won't fit "wheels first" in any overhead bin. You'll have to put it sideways if you can get it past the gate agent.

In my experience, Southwest hasn't been super strict with carry ons, unlike some other airlines I've used. But, now we have carry ons that work with the strict airline rules. I usually have to travel with a computer due to work, so, I usually have that in a bag that will fit under the seat. But, on the two trips we took on Southwest, I found myself checking bags, because Southwest allows two bags.

If it's just you, probably not. You'll have a tough time passing the one carry on and one personal item test. If two or more of you, maybe . . . but expect the stink eye, and possibly complaints, from other pax if the overheads are full.

I wouldn't take it. Your using that bag means that another passenger will probably have to gate check their bag. Not really fair.

If you can't fit it all in the proper bags, why not ship a box down to your resort ahead of time?

I wouldn't take it. Your using that bag means that another passenger will probably have to gate check their bag. Not really fair.

If you can't fit it all in the proper bags, why not ship a box down to your resort ahead of time?

its a half an inch too big so that half an inch would not make a difference.
if someone couldn't fit their bag its not because of a half an inch.

i don't want to ship things down. thats why.

its a half an inch too big so that half an inch would not make a difference. if someone couldn't fit their bag its not because of a half an inch. i don't want to ship things down. thats why.

Yes it would make a difference if that half inch caused you to have to turn the bag sideways to get it to fit in the overhead compartment, essentially taking up 2 spots.

I wish flight attendant would take out any bags they see put in sideways and gate check them.

I suppose if only one person is over .5 it's not a big deal but how about if everyone doesn't decide to follow the rules? SW holds approx 140 pax. Then my guess is somebody is going to have to check a bag. Just check the bag - it's free and not that big of a hassle.

It's really an inch difference. The published max is 10x16x24 inches. A 24" might fit wheels in, a 25" will not.

Then I suggest you pack a bit lighter, not pack a bigger bag and possibly inconvenience someone else. Or risk having to check the bag anyway.

With most flights going out completely full, even Southwest is announcing that some roller bags may need to be gate checked if you re in the "C" boarding group.

I also really dislike when passengers bring on large roller bags and put them in the bin sideways. If bags go in properly, three roller bags can first in each overhead compartment. Your extra inch really does matter.

It can make a difference. Use a bag that is within the guidelines and you won't have to worry about it.

The Southwest website does not even mention the linear total for carryon bags, so it's the dimensions that count. I don't know if they have sizers at the gates.

When you measure carryon luggage, do you measure the wheels or just the luggage. I find both answers online!

You are supposed to measure handle to end of wheels. After all, you don't take the wheels off before you stick the bag in the overhead bin (although a long time ago, wheels were removable!)

Of course half an inch can make a difference. At some point, it's too big to fit in wheels first and still close the overhead bin. If you have to put it in sideways, someone else isn't going to be able to put their bag in the bin. So yes, you're extra inch (lengthwise) has the potential to directly impact someone else.

When you measure carryon luggage, do you measure the wheels or just the luggage. I find both answers online!

and the handle

it can be confusing when purchasing a bag online, many websites list the dimensions of the interior of the bag, without factoring in the wheels or handle.

Recently, almost ordered a 22 inch samsonsite that would've been too large even though it was listed as airline carryon compliant. Glad I double-checked it. Decided upon a Delsey indicated as 21 inches in height @ JCP. Took a tape measure with me...exactly 23-1/2 inches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter