Southern California (& Disneyland): Backstage Magic Meets Thread

Hmm, that is a tough one. We are DVC owners at the Grand and usually stay in the villas but have also stayed in the regular rooms plenty of times. I just came back last night from Disneyland doing the StarWars Run Weekend. For this trip we stayed at the DL hotel - I had not stayed there since 1980 :) There are many cool things about the DL hotel (the pool is beautiful and a cool retro vibe), but I think the Grand is still my preference. You just can't beat the location and convenience of it for one thing and I love the lobby. The DL Hotel is very convenient to the monorail which is fun. In my opinion the finishes and linens etc in the rooms in each are equally nice. The DL hotel has been very nicely updated - light and bright with the cool light up headboards. I think I like the bathroom layout better at the DLH over the Grand. However you can't get around the fact that the DLH is old construction. I found that the noise from other rooms was really loud as well as noise coming from outside. The elevators are tiny and the shower was pretty basic. It always quieted down at an appropriate time, but it was noticeable. Oh there is another plus for the DLH though - Dole Whips with rum in the coffee bar in the afternoon.

We walked through the Grand on Sunday and there is a ton of construction going on. The pool is completely closed and blocked off and it sounded like other construction was going on as well. I don't think the change in hotels would cause me to change the trip, because they are both very nice hotels and the "specialness" of the trip is all the extras and backstage exclusives.

On other construction notes, StarWars Land is really starting to take shape - rock formations are emerging.

Happy to answer any other DL questions.

Thank you for posting this! We were disappointed in the hotel change, but it isn't a deal breaker. There are so many other reasons we are taking this trip and a Hotel change isn't enough to make us cancel. I am very glad to hear from someone who has been to both recently and could give this type of comparison.

WAY out...like a year out (sobs), but my BFF and I just booked the February 18, 2018 adults only trip! Would love to meet anyone else who is doing that trip!

We leave in four days for our adult only adventure. I'm super excited for my first ABD trip, but I have to admit I'm a little bummed by all the the refurbs happening during our time at Disneyland. Fantasmic, the railroad, Pirates , the Matterhorn, Mickey's Fun Wheel, and World of Color. I'm really disappointed about World of Color, as that was scheduled as one of our evening activities. Any thoughts as to what might be scheduled instead? They have also moved Jim Henson tour to the same day as the Walt Disney Studios and Archives and Imagineering tours, as well as arriving at Disneyland. Busy Day! I got a letter stating the change last week. We will be one of the last groups to stay at Grand Californian as well due to the refurbishment.

Wow, seeing Henson studios, Disney studios and Imagineering on the same day? (And starting the Disneyland portion?) Having been on this tour several times, I think that sounds like way too much to do in one day. Did they give you a reason for the change in itinerary? I hope this isn't the norm going forward.

Wow, seeing Henson studios, Disney studios and Imagineering on the same day? (And starting the Disneyland portion?) Having been on this tour several times, I think that sounds like way too much to do in one day. Did they give you a reason for the change in itinerary? I hope this isn't the norm going forward.
My guess would be that Henson Studios is closed on the 20th due to the President's Day Holiday, so they either had to move it or skip it.

Sayhello

McPackers, are you still going in May? We're on the May 21 departure. Are you with us? Anyone else for May?

Disappointed by the news about the hotel. We won't cancel as a result, but that is a disappointment. I kind of think some financial compensation (i.e. price adjustment) is in order. It's not an immaterial change. The price difference between the Grand Californian and the Disneyland Hotel is a good $100/night based on a quick check.

FWIW, I'm going in October and did not receive any e-mail about a change.

Disappointed by the news about the hotel. We won't cancel as a result, but that is a disappointment. I kind of think some financial compensation (i.e. price adjustment) is in order. It's not an immaterial change. The price difference between the Grand Californian and the Disneyland Hotel is a good $100/night based on a quick check.

FWIW, I'm going in October and did not receive any e-mail about a change.

I agree about the price differences between the hotels.

To my knowledge, no. We are going in December and I found out from my TA after I heard about it on the boards. I understand that construction has to happen, just kind of a bummer. Hilarys posted on this thread (last post page 20) making a comparison between the two hotels and that definitely helped clarify some issues for me. It isn't a deal breaker because, honestly, we won't be in the room much anyways,but this will be my one and only trip to DL, so I was hoping to stay at GC, but DLH will be just fine.

ABD has made the decision to move to the Disneyland Hotel for Backstage Magic guests permanent.

I am told that this "fits better within the storyline of the Backstage Magic Adventure...because of the Disneyland Hotel's history".

ABD has made the decision to move to the Disneyland Hotel for Backstage Magic guests permanent.

I am told that this "fits better within the storyline of the Backstage Magic Adventure...because of the Disneyland Hotel's history".

Sooo, I'll come right out and ask the question. Is ABD planning to decrease the price of this trip given the permanent change to lower-priced accommodations? We're planning to do this trip in 2018. Frankly, the hotel change doesn't bother me at all since we are DVC members and typically stay at the Grand Californian for our regular Disneyland visits. I actually welcome the opportunity to check out the Disneyland Hotel, because I've never stayed there. But it does seem that ABD is going to be saving money as a result of this change, and it sure would be nice if it passed those savings on to its guests!

On another thread, Kevin said ABD told him they are charged the same price for both threads.

If that is true they need a better negotiator, LOL. The GC is always priced higher than the DH--often by quite a bit. I don't mind when ABD makes changes, but I don't like profit maximizing moves masquerading as something other than what it is. The Disneyland Hotel isn't as convenient is the Grand, and it's the second best Disney hotel in the collection no matter how they try to sell it. I've done Backstage Magic, and I don't see how staying at the DH enhances any supposed theme. The parks part of the tour is a mix between old and new.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter