Sorry,Just not impressed with Bonnet Creek

I don't think Jim was arguing that you shouldn't take a Disney cruise -- his point was simply that you'd do better renting out your DVC points and using that money on the Disney cruise than you would using the points themselves to pay for a cruise. You'd still essentially be using your DVC points for the cruise, but by renting them out they'd go further, if you see what I mean.

Also glad to hear that you recommend people not buy DVC unless they intend to use it only at the DVC resorts. Most people who buy DVC knowing what they are getting, and with an accurate understanding of their future needs, love their DVC. It's the people who think it can be useful for non-DVC resorts or who realize later they could have traded in (at least sometimes) for less or who end up not vacationing at Disney for many years after buying in who are unhappy.

If someone knows what they're getting, can afford it, understands the other options, choose to get DVC and love owning it, more power to them! They are following their hearts and living their dream. I can only admire them. :goodvibes
Thank you, and I undrstand what Jim means, and I have payed cash to go on disney cruislines before b/c its better that way, but I dont want to rent my points out to pay for the cruise b/c i want them available to use again for future use. I didnt buy DVC to rent it out to other people I used it for me and me only. If other DVC people choose to do that then so be it, not me. And again thanx for the kind words, I'm glad u understand where I'm coming from

I dont care if you think I can get cheaper for better or better cruiselines or better equipped kitchens or square footage for this amount of money...and believe it or not I'm not brainwashed or dilusional. I understand other people think DVC is not worth it, too expensive for the size, too inflexible or whatever. ... Everyone is different and if other people prefer other places or cruislines than DVC SO BE IT...I dont care!
I think everybody has understood you were a big DVC fan since Post 1. (So am I, by the way -- we've stayed in DVC resorts 30+ times.)

However, public discussion boards are not just about YOU.

When you put a premise up in a public forum, others have a right to disagree. As you've seen, from the length of this thread, there are a number of posters who have a different opinion than you hold. That's what discussion boards are all about. If everyone agreed with you, the thread would have died the first day, and there would have been no point to your thread.

As shalom noted above, I'm not knocking DVC. As I said earlier, there are things I prefer about DVC.

The other concept we all should keep in mind is that there are a lot of readers here who are not posting. No thread is exclusively about one poster's opinion or another.

So if you post a comment that someone takes exception to -- or thinks is incomplete -- somebody will disagree...not because of YOU, but for the benefit of other readers. Otherwise, we end up with "Should I buy DVC for cruises and Adventures by Disney" threads like the one we have now on the DVC boards.

For example,
"we r really not interested in going many other places excpet for hawaii and theres a DVC resort there now."

That's a true statement -- as far as it goes. There is ONE DVC resort in Hawaii which just opened. But DVC timeshare sales have been halted by the State of Hawaii, and Disney fired their longtime DVC CEO because of legal issues surrounding DVC's timeshare sales there.

More importantly, the resort is on Oahu (the last island most want to visit), and it's in absolutely the least desireable part of Oahu. I'm sure the resort is lovely, but there are so many better choices -- on Oahu, on Maui, on Kauii, and on the Big Island.

Wyndham, by contrast, has TEN Hawaii resorts -- only one of which is on Oahu, and it's at Waikiki.

Does that make Wyndham better than DVC? No. But it does offer TEN better Hawaii options for a fraction of the price. That's another example of the distinction I draw between the DVC resorts and DVC ownership.

There are some folks for whom Only Disney Will Do. When it comes to cruising, my wife is such a person. She literally will not consider sailing another line---and believe me, I've tried to get her to consider it. It doesn't matter how much more money it costs. It doesn't matter that some itineraries (I'm thinking Alaska, and especially out of Seattle) are inferior. What's more, she's never even sailed another line, but she is worried that she would not like it---no matter what "it" turns out to be. She will either sail with DCL, or she'll not sail. Period.

Some people are like that with lodging for visits to WDW as well. Price, space, amenities, etc.---absolutely none of it matters to them. They either make do onsite, or they don't go. There is a subset of such people for whom only DVC will do. Again, it doesn't matter what it costs, or that the units are generally smaller and less well-equipped and furnished than top-shelf offsite timeshares, because those resorts simply Are Not Disney.

It's true that there are also people for whom Disney Will Never Do. There aren't as many, but there are some. For these folks, there simply is no reason why anyone would ever pay Disney's prices for anything, ever.

You can imagine that when these two camps meet, it's not a short conversation. From where I sit, though, it's worth ignoring both of them. Why? Because they aren't really representative of most people. As near as I can tell, both camps are in the vanishingly small minority, albeit a very vocal minority.

Well, since I've read through this I'll state my preference. There's nothing better for us than a pool home when we vacation, even when there's only me and Dh. Love having the privacy and the pool all to ourselves. So to each his own. :thumbsup2

Hi.
Just reading thru this thread because we are heading up on Sunday for 4 nights.

I saw a few comments on the parking. Can you elaborate please.
We are 2 families bringing 2 cars.

Thanks so much.
Lori

Parking at Bonnet?

The surface lots are a bit too small for the towers---and that's probably because as construction went along, and sales boomed, they redesigned later towers to make them taller. So, they added a couple of parking structures. We parked in the structure closest to our building (#5).

Hi.
Just reading thru this thread because we are heading up on Sunday for 4 nights.

I saw a few comments on the parking. Can you elaborate please.
We are 2 families bringing 2 cars.

Thanks so much.
Lori
I'm not aware of any restriction on second vehicles, and there is plenty of parking with no parking fee. If you have any concerns, I would call WBC directly and ask them: 407-238-3500.

After your checkin, you will go to a separate desk to get your parking pass(es). There, you will be offered an incentive to participate in a sales presentation.

First, understand that ANYthing they ask you to do is a high-pressure SALES presentation. Second, just say no.

You may have to say it repeatedly, but say NO.

(Instead of paying $10,000-$50,000 for a Wyndham timeshare, you can buy one for $1 in the resale market. Seriously...you REALLY can. Say NO.)

I'm not aware of any restriction on second vehicles, and there is plenty of parking with no parking fee. If you have any concerns, I would call WBC directly and ask them: 407-238-3500.

After your checkin, you will go to a separate desk to get your parking pass(es). There, you will be offered an incentive to participate in a sales presentation.

First, understand that ANYthing they ask you to do is a high-pressure SALES presentation. Second, just say no.

You may have to say it repeatedly, but say NO.

(Instead of paying $10,000-$50,000 for a Wyndham timeshare, you can buy one for $1 in the resale market. Seriously...you REALLY can. Say NO.)

HAHAHAHA!!! Thanks for the tip! My husband will say NO loud and clear!!!!!:thumbsup2

HAHAHAHA!!! Thanks for the tip! My husband will say NO loud and clear!!!!!:thumbsup2
Loud and clear.

Loud and clear.

Loud and CLEAR.

LOUD and CLEAR!

LOUD AND CLEAR!!

LOUD AND CLEAR!!!!

If they don't get it, say -- in a loud stage voice -- "You know...I can buy a Wyndham timeshare for ONE DOLLAR on eBay!"

And when you do that...

They'll tell you a lie. They'll say, "But you can't use those points for ... you fill in the blanks."

Weasel-speak. Lies. Just say NO.

I think everybody has understood you were a big DVC fan since Post 1. (So am I, by the way -- we've stayed in DVC resorts 30+ times.)

However, public discussion boards are not just about YOU.

When you put a premise up in a public forum, others have a right to disagree. As you've seen, from the length of this thread, there are a number of posters who have a different opinion than you hold. That's what discussion boards are all about. If everyone agreed with you, the thread would have died the first day, and there would have been no point to your thread.

As shalom noted above, I'm not knocking DVC. As I said earlier, there are things I prefer about DVC.

The other concept we all should keep in mind is that there are a lot of readers here who are not posting. No thread is exclusively about one poster's opinion or another.

So if you post a comment that someone takes exception to -- or thinks is incomplete -- somebody will disagree...not because of YOU, but for the benefit of other readers. Otherwise, we end up with "Should I buy DVC for cruises and Adventures by Disney" threads like the one we have now on the DVC boards.

For example,

That's a true statement -- as far as it goes. There is ONE DVC resort in Hawaii which just opened. But DVC timeshare sales have been halted by the State of Hawaii, and Disney fired their longtime DVC CEO because of legal issues surrounding DVC's timeshare sales there.

More importantly, the resort is on Oahu (the last island most want to visit), and it's in absolutely the least desireable part of Oahu. I'm sure the resort is lovely, but there are so many better choices -- on Oahu, on Maui, on Kauii, and on the Big Island.

Wyndham, by contrast, has TEN Hawaii resorts -- only one of which is on Oahu, and it's at Waikiki.

Does that make Wyndham better than DVC? No. But it does offer TEN better Hawaii options for a fraction of the price. That's another example of the distinction I draw between the DVC resorts and DVC ownership.

Thanx dad for the lecture, where do I start, let's see? First off I posted i wasnt impressed with Bonnet Creek and posted why. The very first response was the same OLD complaint of smoking and glad I wasnt your neighbor, what did that hafta do with why I didnt like it...that was actually a postive for me to smoke on the balconies. I have understood everything YOU and the other poster have said about the differences. I have stated a few times that most people would like and even love the resort (re-read all the posts and highlight them like u so much like to do). I listed all the reasons why I didnt like it. But I got all these responses of why I should like Bonnet Creek and square footage and so on. I'm happy people like Bonnet Creek. But all the posts of "it better be the best for the money" comments about DVC where cocky and arrogant. Which is fine i could care less. But every time I shot back at YOU,or Brian he puts me on an ignore list (very mature) or you lecture me like a kid. Not gonna happen. If u dish it out be able to take it. I gave reasons for liking DVC it wasnt met well or disputed but god forbid I dont like Bonnet Creek. So you know what Jim if u dont like this post either add to me your ignore list but dont start throwing out its not about YOU junk cuz I'm not taking that. Thans to shalom, andy, and others who understood my posts and met it with respect for my opinions. Again Jim re-read the posts cuz I have and your outta line!

First off I posted i wasnt impressed with Bonnet Creek and posted why. The very first response was the same OLD complaint of smoking and glad I wasnt your neighbor, what did that hafta do with why I didnt like it...that was actually a postive for me to smoke on the balconies.
Fact check: That was not me responding that way.

But since you brought it up, you are the one who put the smoking question out there. Your positive, not surprisingly, turned out to be someone else's negative...and they said so. Expression of contrary opinions is what discussion boards are all about.

You smoking on your balcony is also a negative for me, but I didn't comment because you seem to be a considerate smoker who follows the rules. If I have a gripe about you smoking on your balcony within the rules, my complaint is against Wyndham, not you.

In all honesty, it's a little amusing that someone introduces a controversial subject to a discussion and is then shocked :eek: that another poster disagrees in a direct manner.

If you don't want someone responding to a controversial subject like smoking, don't put it out there. If you do, you get what you get.
I listed all the reasons why I didnt like it.
And that's fine. That's what discussion boards are for.
But I got all these responses of why I should like Bonnet Creek and square footage and so on.
Other posters are just posting their opinions...which is what discussion boards are for. Nobody is under any obligation to agree with what you or I post -- they're entitled to their own opinions.
Again Jim re-read the posts cuz I have and your outta line!
I think you're just a little oversensitive. All I've done is express another view, and in fact I've agreed with you on many things. I haven't indulged in any personal attacks or been disrespectful or anything else which violates the posting guidelines of the DIS.

I just disagree with you on some things. Anyone who posts here should be prepared for, and able to handle, a little disagreement.

Im sensing a pattern here.....
Wow these people seem very persistent.

I will be honest I was laid off in July so I really can't afford a purchase like this right now!

Thanks everyone for the heads up.

t on a DVC points stay, you can "segment" your reservation and only get DDP for the days you want it. If the cash guests can't do that, that's a huge benefit for DVC owners.

I agree that was a huge benefit for DVC owners, but it's no longer possible.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2794386

Not really surprised it was axed but not impressed with the no warning, just gone, thing. :sad2:

From where I sit, though, it's worth ignoring both of them. Why? Because they aren't really representative of most people. As near as I can tell, both camps are in the vanishingly small minority, albeit a very vocal minority.

I've known a few "Only Disney Will Do" people outside of the Dis, and I think the Internet is contributing to their existence and frequency. OTOH, most of the Disney Will Never Do people I've known, when you get to know them a bit, were coerced into commando Disney trips at some point. If your whole family is commando, and you're a more laid back traveler who isn't that into the rides, that resentment can burn a looooooong time. I'd argue that I could design a Disney trip for pretty much everybody, that they'd enjoy, and I've surprised a few people who had a pretty narrow understanding about what Disney World is all about, but I wouldn't try it with anyone with that in their past. :p

Still, better they hate Disney than they hate their family, I reckon. :upsidedow

I agree that was a huge benefit for DVC owners, but it's no longer possible.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2794386

Not really surprised it was axed but not impressed with the no warning, just gone, thing. :sad2:
WOW. But hey...it was true when I posted it!:rotfl2:

Once again, a midnight change in rules with no notice whatsoever. Last time DVC did that, some people parked their cars with free valet parking at night and woke up to learn they owed $10! It always surprises me when a company as good as Disney treats their best customers that way.

It was a very nice perk, but I'm not surprised it was stopped; I was much more surprised when it was offered. But they certainly could have handled things better.

My guess is the next thing they'll cut out is allowing "guests" (aka renters) to purchase DDP.

Fact check: That was not me responding that way.

But since you brought it up, you are the one who put the smoking question out there. Your positive, not surprisingly, turned out to be someone else's negative...and they said so. Expression of contrary opinions is what discussion boards are all about.

You smoking on your balcony is also a negative for me, but I didn't comment because you seem to be a considerate smoker who follows the rules. If I have a gripe about you smoking on your balcony within the rules, my complaint is against Wyndham, not you.

In all honesty, it's a little amusing that someone introduces a controversial subject to a discussion and is then shocked :eek: that another poster disagrees in a direct manner.

If you don't want someone responding to a controversial subject like smoking, don't put it out there. If you do, you get what you get. And that's fine. That's what discussion boards are for. Other posters are just posting their opinions...which is what discussion boards are for. Nobody is under any obligation to agree with what you or I post -- they're entitled to their own opinions.I think you're just a little oversensitive. All I've done is express another view, and in fact I've agreed with you on many things. I haven't indulged in any personal attacks or been disrespectful or anything else which violates the posting guidelines of the DIS.

I just disagree with you on some things. Anyone who posts here should be prepared for, and able to handle, a little disagreement.

Fact check again I didnt say that you specifically was the one that posted the smoking comment I said the first response I got was about smoking. And I know it was a sensitive subject but I only posted b/c it was one of the few positives in my opinion that I could think of. It wasnt to start a firestorm its actually one thing that aggravates that I cant do at Disney. I understand what your saying and make a good point about that subject and it's something I dont like divulging in cuz really its a no win situation for both sides. I didnt introduce as a subject per say but as one of the few positives. I dont mind disaagreeing Jim but its the arrogance of some of the posts against my opinions which I took exception too. I take all of what everyone says into consideration but theres a nice way of going about it and a not so nice way. One of the reasons I love theses boards is the different views. I have actually liked reviewing your posts b/c there pretty factual and straightforward...its the "good more room for me"(not your post) comments from other posters that are hard to swallow especially wen I try to be respectful to others opinions..Again I've stated in several posts that most people would love the resort. But look at it from my angle if our OP was mine and the very first post was an attack on something that u loved or enjoyed no matter the subject wouldnt u be a little taken back and angry? Read some of the posts Jim look at them and tell me that wouldnt bother you a little. I'm not over sensitive trust me, I work in retail and deal with people every single day. But wen u come here you expect something a little different than wen u deal with evryday life...maybe u disagree. I only go on defensive attacked, not b/c people disagree, I think thats where your misinterpreting me. Again I expect the disagreements its the attack mentality of the posts that cause me to go off. I dont know if u get that part of it thats all.

Wow, surprised at all of the hostility towards the OP. I like reading the bad and good about a place before I stay so that I am not disappointed. And it seems the OP went out of his way to point out the good things about BC. If you want to read only good things about a hotel, go to the hotel website and stay off review boards.

Does anybody else think that this thread has become unproductive and that a moderator ought to close it?

Just my opinion.

Dick Taylor

Wow, surprised at all of the hostility towards the OP. I like reading the bad and good about a place before I stay so that I am not disappointed. And it seems the OP went out of his way to point out the good things about BC. If you want to read only good things about a hotel, go to the hotel website and stay off review boards.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anybody else think that this thread has become unproductive and that a moderator ought to close it?

Just my opinion.

Dick Taylor

It has become unproductive Dick, I agree with you, it's unfortunate that this thread turned out the way it did. I thought that my OP was tasteful and wanted to give my view of my experience. But unfortunately it was met with a nasty response right away. Some of the posters have been respectful of my opinion, others have not. I've been told that I'm oversensitive, a bad neighbor, brainwashed by Disney. Thats fine, but I'm vot gonna just take when some posters attack. I'm fine with people who disagree just keep it in good taste. I hate the fact that I hafta fire back like that and I'm sure I'm viewed as the bad guy. But if everyone reads the posts from the begining i think you'll see I'm not the bad guy. So if the moderators wanna close it, thats fine with me...however I'd like to see it come to a peaceful close not just shut down...just my opinion.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter