Sometimes DS's school can't do the simplest things right!

Mickey'snewestfan

DIS Veteran
DS's school has a back to school picnic every year, right at the beginning -- it's a simple potluck at a nearby park. DS loves it, but this year decided to go to his first soccer practice instead.

Today at 4:00 I get an EMAIL that it has been moved to October. Now it happens that I checked my email, and it happens that we weren't going, and it happens that if we were going my lazy self would have stopped at the pizza place for take out, but nonetheless I know there are people who 1) don't have email 2) didn't happen to check their email between 4 and 6 when it's supposed to start 3) actually cook for potlucks or 4) change their childcare arrangements or work schedule for the day to accomodate the picnic.

There are things I love about this school -- or I wouldn't send him there, but sometimes they make me want to scream! Seriously, how annoyed would you be to get (or not get) an email like that at that time.

I would be so annoyed!!!!! Can you imagine showing up after working all day and you stayed up the night before making something to take and THEN finding out that it was rescheduled???!!!! UGH........You can bet there were people that had no clue and then wondered where everyone else was. As hard as it is to believe...not everyone has access to email.

First of all let me say this...I would be VERY mad to
get an e-mail just a couple hours before an event if I had already
planned my day accordingly.

I have a friend who gives her e-mail out and then
NEVER checks her e-mail. What is the point then in giving out your e-mail
address if you aren't ever going to check it? I think it's an excuse for her!!

As for me, I am not at a job that keeps me at a computer all day, but I do check my e-mail multiple times a day. Like I would check for messages
on my home phone.

I am in charge of the communications for our childrens events at our church.
When someone gives me an e-mail address as a way of contacting them
I assume they actually check their e-mail. Now, I would NEVER send out
an e-mail a couple hours before an event to tell people it's been posponed.
But, here in Minnesota in the winter, families are instructed to check our website for the possiblity of prgrams being cancelleed on account of snow.

Yes I would be annoyed. DD's school does that stuff all the time. Last year they sent home a notice with her on Monday saying she was the student of the month for her class and she would be given an award at Tuesday nights PTA meeting. That was barely 24 hours notice. I got the note when she came home from school at 11:45am and the PTA meeting was at 7pm the next night. I work evenings and it was too late to ask for the night off so DH took her but I was very upset that I had to miss her first school award and DD was upset too. They are always giving last minute notice for things and it drives me nuts. Now I know the majority of the parents there don't work nights like I do but for certain activities they may need to get childcare for younger children or whatever and a couple days notice just doesn't cut it.

Yes I would be annoyed. DD's school does that stuff all the time. Last year they sent home a notice with her on Monday saying she was the student of the month for her class and she would be given an award at Tuesday nights PTA meeting. That was barely 24 hours notice. I got the note when she came home from school at 11:45am and the PTA meeting was at 7pm the next night. I work evenings and it was too late to ask for the night off so DH took her but I was very upset that I had to miss her first school award and DD was upset too. They are always giving last minute notice for things and it drives me nuts. Now I know the majority of the parents there don't work nights like I do but for certain activities they may need to get childcare for younger children or whatever and a couple days notice just doesn't cut it.

Our schools give similar short notice but most things are for during day hours which I work. :sad2: They just assume all moms stay home, though most of my neighbors do. I've called out sick to see ds in a 1st grade play. ;) Of course one can't do this for everything.
Now that older ds is in middle school, it seems many things are offered in the evenings and the entire schedule of everything (overnight field trips, dances, picnics, Christmas parties, etc.) is sent out at the begining of the school year. At least now I can choose the more important things I'd like to take off for.

But, here in Minnesota in the winter, families are instructed to check our website for the possiblity of prgrams being cancelleed on account of snow.

That is, in my opinion, different. If it's actively snowing I know to check the website/listen to the radio etc. . . However, if I wake up on a sunny September day I don't think to check for snow closing (or, as I suspect in this case -- forgot to apply for a permit to use the park cancellations).

DS's school has a back to school picnic every year, right at the beginning -- it's a simple potluck at a nearby park. DS loves it, but this year decided to go to his first soccer practice instead.

Today at 4:00 I get an EMAIL that it has been moved to October. Now it happens that I checked my email, and it happens that we weren't going, and it happens that if we were going my lazy self would have stopped at the pizza place for take out, but nonetheless I know there are people who 1) don't have email 2) didn't happen to check their email between 4 and 6 when it's supposed to start 3) actually cook for potlucks or 4) change their childcare arrangements or work schedule for the day to accomodate the picnic.

There are things I love about this school -- or I wouldn't send him there, but sometimes they make me want to scream! Seriously, how annoyed would you be to get (or not get) an email like that at that time.

I wouldn't get too annoyed - the people organizing these things are most likely volunteering their time, and somehow something came up (another event scheduled at the same time, a special meeting, the park was closed for some reason etc?) and the event was postponed.

If you are unhappy with how things are done, perhaps you could volunteer yourself to change how things are run.

If you are unhappy with how things are done, perhaps you could volunteer yourself to change how things are run.

That's exactly how I wound up an officer on my homeowner's association board, and I plan to try to infiltrate the historically clique'y "mommier than thou" group that is the heart of the PTA at my son's school.

I received a letter home in my son's folder on 9/11, dated 9/9 telling me that I was selected to be a part of the XXX committee and as such I was required to attend the meeting on 9/10. But if for some reason I thought I couldn't fulfill this obligation, please let them know by 9/5.

Even volunteers need to have a teeny bit of common sense...and a calendar...no?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter