Something About Nothing............ #14

Had a nice paddle, we had 16 people out so 3 boats out. It was quite overcast dull day. But getting out on the ocean is always nice. Saw a few seals around. Curious creatures.
A past team mate was out with us, she had moved to the island but was in town for the weekend. After practice 4 of us went over and had a nice visit. So much to catch up with. We didn’t leave till 4!
Husband had the ribs cooking on the bbq. He does a dry rub. Love it.
Feeling a bit sore lol. But in a good way.

Schumi yes dreams can be bizzare. I can’t quite remember mine this morning but had something to do with going to the Middle East! Not a clue.
I think I’d have panic attacks waiting till last minute to pack. I do pack the night before, but everything is set out, cleaned and ironed, what needs ironing.
Watching Wild Britain on tv he’s in Wales on River Wye! No scary movies for me lol!

Keisha interesting pineapple trick. One daughter gets terrible cankers from it. When I was in Hawaii we got white pineapple that doesn’t do that to you! I’ve never seen it outside of Hawaii.
I have an Instant Pot! Love it. The stovetop pressure cookers scare me.
I have sprayed my masks too with Microban! I may do that pre flight. Or maybe just soak them in Vodka 🤣

Charade glad you’re getting sleep. Body’s way of healing. Oh, yes. What I meant for packing is everything is washed and laid out ready to go into suitcases. But I don’t physically put them in until night before trip. I do have other things in suitcase already like mug, popcorn bucket, bathing suit, cover up, toiletries etc. Tomorrow underwear and nighties. But clothes will wait.

Keisha beautiful pic of GD! Do you know what movie it is? A ton of movies are filmed here. We’re called Hollywood North lol. I’m my town Shogun is being filmed. I read the books years ago. They built a set on the shore, a Japanese village. Think I’ll talk some people into paddling down there. Can see it from the water.

Schumi I love fresh ginger yum. I’m not particularly restrained with luggage either. As usual my last trip I only wore half of what I packed in August. So I’m going to try this trip. Really!

Oh Mac- not nice to blame it on the cat 🐱

OMG Real I’m so sorry. I can’t imagine. I will keep her in my prayers.

Night Metro!

Soniam I always get new frames, at Lenscrafters. Seems they have 50% off lenses a lot if you buy frames so comes out cheaper or the same to just get lenses and frames. We have insurance too, pays $325. Last time I looked around clearance rack, and got lucky. They had a really nice pair of Tiffany frames on clearance plus lenses were 50% off. And my daughter found a great pair of glasses too on clearance. We had good timing. Usually I don’t find anything I like on the clearance rack.

Tsco salad sounds good! I can’t watch or read scary stories! Terrible nightmares!

Trying not to reflect too much on 9/11. We were at home getting ready to fly to Germany the next day for a 3 week vacation, my first to Europe. Well that didn't happen. It was the least of our concerns though. We did fly out on the Sunday to a welcoming place. Many people said we were crazy for going. We didn't have any children or anyone that depended upon us, so it wasn't irresponsible. However, the third degree we got in Amsterdam on our return flight and the full close patdown, under my shirt, that I got upon arrival in Detroit did make me question it a little though. It was a very surreal time.

Unfortunately, 9/11 wasn't new for me. We knew people killed/injured in the Murrah bombing in Oklahoma City. My mom used to work in the building when she worked for the IRS. Our bank was still in the building. The scope of 9/11 was much worse. However, Oklahoma City was always much harder to take since so many children died or were injured. I also felt angrier, since the crimes were committed by other Americans.

My heart goes out to the families/friends of those who were affected by these events. I hope that we don't have to experience these again.

Absolutely devastated. My best friend - who we had a long weekend with in Yorkshire last week - has lost her husband suddenly today. Can’t get my head round it at all. She had only been out for an hour and returned to a silent house and found him on the floor. We are truly shocked and bewildered. Charles was so kind and Kev’s best friend. Please hold her in your thoughts she is bereft.

What a shock for her. Never good to hear.

Good night folks...heading to bed after reading several more chapters of Chasing the Boogeyman.

Have a good night! :goodvibes

lol.......after something scary I usually have to watch something light before I go to bed....or Tom has a rucksack for the night with me saying "what was that noise" all night long.......lol........

Hope it`s a good read!

Dropped over $1000, well husband did since he has the job now, at the eye doctor today for all 3 of us. Son had to get regular and sunglass frames/lenses. He is learning to drive and will need sunglasses. Husband and I had to get new lenses. We have insurance, but it just doesn't cover much. Can't wait to get my old glasses back with new lenses. Both hubby and I are sitting around sort of blind/fuzzy using old glasses.

I made taco salad tonight, sans tortilla chips for me. I haven't made this in a while. It takes a bit of time on a weeknight if I am working. I like to make extra ground beef to have later for lunches and freeze. I forgot the cilantro though. We had some really good hatch green chile salsa that I used. I like to mix it into the ground beef and into ranch dressing. I made sure to get unripe black olives for my husband. They are unbrined. My husband calls them bobos; it's the name his father uses for them. My father-in-law is from Chile and has an accent, so we always have to say it with a similar accent. I think we will have grilled fish and steamed broccoli for dinner tomorrow.

Started my fall smelling wax melts. Mmmmm. Fall, sort of. I will start the HHN candle about 2 weeks before we go.

Just finished watching Haunting of Bly Manor. It was really good. We started a Netflix streaming subscription so that we would watch Haunting of Hill House for HHN. Hill House was really good too. I am excited for the house. I have read the books and seen older movies that both of these are based upon. I like the new takes, but they were still faithful to the intent. We are not trying to watch as much as we can on streaming without having to pay for the subscription for too long. We already have the Netflix DVD subscription. We are tight when it comes to streaming subscriptions :rotfl2: I just hate having to pay for every darn show.

That is terrible! My heart goes out to your friend, her family, and you.

We liked Hill House better than Bly Manor, quite atmospheric. And probably the only other thing I`ve ever seen Henry Thomas act in since ET. Never read those books.

Glad you got your new glasses soniam......

Trying not to reflect too much on 9/11. We were at home getting ready to fly to Germany the next day for a 3 week vacation, my first to Europe. Well that didn't happen. It was the least of our concerns though. We did fly out on the Sunday to a welcoming place. Many people said we were crazy for going. We didn't have any children or anyone that depended upon us, so it wasn't irresponsible. However, the third degree we got in Amsterdam on our return flight and the full close patdown, under my shirt, that I got upon arrival in Detroit did make me question it a little though. It was a very surreal time.

Unfortunately, 9/11 wasn't new for me. We knew people killed/injured in the Murrah bombing in Oklahoma City. My mom used to work in the building when she worked for the IRS. Our bank was still in the building. The scope of 9/11 was much worse. However, Oklahoma City was always much harder to take since so many children died or were injured. I also felt angrier, since the crimes were committed by other Americans.

My heart goes out to the families/friends of those who were affected by these events. I hope that we don't have to experience these again.

I can sympathise Soniam with that. Growing up in the UK we had the IRA terrorists bombing us during the 70`s and into the 80`s constantly. So many innocent people including children murdered by them. Yes, the anger is indescribable.

And good thoughts and hugs go out again to Lori......hope yesterday went well for you and your family, had to be tough but hope it was beautiful too my friend.......:hug:

Decided to go out a walk after all this morning, think it`s just us today. Another couple were going to join us, but changed their minds last minute.

Enjoyed The Devil made me do it, not as scary for jump scares, but there were one or two, probably scary as it was another of the Warrens true stories, what an amazing couple they were. And I love Patrick Wilson in anything!!

Baking a ham for Sunday dinner today, it`ll slowly roast away all day in the Aga with honey, mustard, crushed pineapple and brown sugar. Should be lovely.

Not quite light yet, so will wait and see what the weather looks like to see if it`s shorts, or leggings. Think it`ll be shorts, but it`ll be dull again. Ideal for walking in.

Then home again for bacon rolls and hopefully a good Grand Prix this afternoon in one of the old favourite circuits, Monza right up in the North of Italy, beautiful area around it.

i-8s5c5hf-Th.gif

cv24-S.jpg

cv52-S.jpg

Have a wonderful Sunday ::yes::

lol.......after something scary I usually have to watch something light before I go to bed....or Tom has a rucksack for the night with me saying "what was that noise" all night long.......lol........

Hope it`s a good read!
It's been interesting but not scary...at least not to me. Lots of reviews say its scary but you know how that goes. :)

Have a great Sunday!

Sunday is here, and so is the sun. Yay, another nice day. All our bushes are now trimmed, yeah with new motored trimmer, and not quite got the fence fixed. Apparently we did cement the last post that was there, but the pole had broke right near the ground, so what’s left is stuck in the cement there. Ugh. Well, I’ll let DH break that old cemented pole out. Then we’ll be ready with new cement, pole and panel. Did buy all three at the store yesterday, as well as a replacement part we needed for our one bathroom. The store was very crowded when we were there. Hehe, DH said look at all the cars when we drove into the huge parking lot. Yeah, with this nice weekend weather predicted, guess many wanted to tackle yard and home to do lists like us.

But today, while tea for me, made coffee for DH. Eggs for him and a bowl of cereal for me breakfast for us. Kids are in sleeping late mode, as little one is a late night kid, and so was older one, as he has no work today. So I’m assuming brunch or a late lunch will be their first meal. And as a Sunday routine, alarm set and trash will be tossed out, to be picked up early tomorrow.

Schumi, that ham, brown sugar and pineapples is usually a holiday meal for us. I like ham cooked that way. I like pineapple, and have no trouble eating it.

Sue, nice the paddle was with a group, and yeah, seals are such fun creatures to watch. They seem so playful.

Heard some rain last night at HHN, but was said to be lighter rain, and no thunder or lightning. Said the actors on the stilts were not out until much drier out. Enjoyed seeing some pictures from last night on USOAP Facebook page, and also some great pictures from SW’s horror night last night from Gina. Can see her great pictures in the SW forum. Getting excited for my trip, which is now at a week. Eek. But as was enjoying that park fun a couple of weeks ago, luggage is at the front of the closet. I’m a last minute packer, and will be doing some wash the day before I leave. And as SW moved my crack of dawn flight to a late morning one, some very last minute packing will be the day I leave. Woot! Looking forward to some Fall park fun and meeting up with some homies.

Super Sunday, May all enjoy this last day of the weekend.

Heard some rain last night at HHN, but was said to be lighter rain, and no thunder or lightning. Said the actors on the stilts were not out until much drier out. Enjoyed seeing some pictures from last night on USOAP Facebook page, and also some great pictures from SW’s horror night last night from Gina.
Yeah...it was a pretty steady light rain most of the evening. Just enough to make you miserable after a while. No thunder or lightening to deal with. :umbrella:

It's been interesting but not scary...at least not to me. Lots of reviews say its scary but you know how that goes. :)

Have a great Sunday!

You too Todd.

Schumi, that ham, brown sugar and pineapples is usually a holiday meal for us. I like ham cooked that way. I like pineapple, and have no trouble eating it.

When you say Holiday dish, do you mean Christmas or another Holiday?

Just a regular Sunday dish for us...or any day dish.

Yeah...it was a pretty steady light rain most of the evening. Just enough to make you miserable after a while. No thunder or lightening to deal with. :umbrella:

I was watching some videos of last nights event, it looked quite heavy, but hard to see just how bad it was on screen. I agree, even light rain after a while would make you miserable.

Did 6 miles walking this morning, it got a little cooler than we`ve had lately, so we cut it short as we both had shorts on, hoodies for the first time in a long time.

Waited till lunch to have rolls with bacon, so feeling very full right now. Ham smells beautiful though. Making dauphinoise potatoes to go with it and a variety of veg. Still have the other meringue to use up, so will call that dessert with some cream and fruit.

Watching the GP right now with feet up.......and an iced water.

Waited till lunch to have rolls with bacon, so feeling very full right now. Ham smells beautiful though. Making dauphinoise potatoes to go with it and a variety of veg. Still have the other meringue to use up, so will call that dessert with some cream and fruit.
That sounds wonderful! I like Virginia ham (where I'm from) and spiral ham...but not country ham...too salty.

Schumi usually it is our New Year’s day entree and also at Easter.

Interesting. Never thought of it as a special dish.

Which is your preferred cooking style? My mum cooks it the complete opposite of me, I do like her version, but prefer mine.

That sounds wonderful! I like Virginia ham (where I'm from) and spiral ham...but not country ham...too salty.

We can get Virginia Ham here too.....it is lovely although I`m sure it`s just a replica.....

I always soak my ham for longer than suggested, so many don`t so it can be salty.

We can get Virginia Ham here too.....it is lovely although I`m sure it`s just a replica.....

I always soak my ham for longer than suggested, so many don`t so it can be salty.
My mother and the older folks in the family over the years soaked and soaked but it was still too salty for me. I rarely add any salt to any food unless it really needs it. Got to watch that blood pressure. ;)

My mother and the older folks in the family over the years soaked and soaked but it was still too salty for me. I rarely add any salt to any food unless it really needs it. Got to watch that blood pressure. ;)

Yes, ham is naturally salty even soaked, and yes, got to watch your BP!! I always drink much more water after bacon and any type of ham have been part of a meal.

I have to add salt to chips (fries) tomatoes and eggs......that`s about it I think. Seasoning well with other ingredients salt isn`t always needed for sure. It`s amazing how many things it`s in and in huge amounts.

6AC515D6-59FC-4BDB-A459-8DD02E646734.jpeg
Yes, please!

Dropped over $1000, well husband did since he has the job now, at the eye doctor today for all 3 of us.
ouch.
I made taco salad tonight, sans tortilla chips for me
yum, haven’t made all summer. Tomatoes coming in hot & heavy, may have to rectify that this week.
We started a Netflix streaming subscription so that we would watch Haunting of Hill House for HHN. Hill House was really good too.
i keep forgetting to watch them
We are tight when it comes to streaming subscriptions :rotfl2: I just hate having to pay for every darn show.
i loaded up on them when everyone hunkered down. Figure a few bucks here & there, eventually will dump them once I clear them off. My DS are thrilled HBO extended the free NFL tix again this year. Nice to be able to watch on mobile device
Keisha interesting pineapple trick. One daughter gets terrible cankers from it. When I was in Hawaii we got white pineapple that doesn’t do that to you! I’ve never seen it outside of Hawaii.
yes, loved that variety! Was thrilled to be able to enjoy pineapple from dawn to dusk there lol
I have sprayed my masks too with Microban! I may do that pre flight. Or maybe just soak them in Vodka 🤣
At the risk of sounding like a germaphobe…use it at home, especially door knobs & sinks. Never thought to spray on the masks.
Keisha beautiful pic of GD! Do you know what movie it is
Aw thanks. yes, cha cha real smooth, plot centers around party event planner? Guessing it won’t be an Oscar contender lol
Soniam I always get new frames, at Lenscrafters.
i wasn’t happy with the local one last time we used them. they didn’t stand behind the quality of the mr’s sun glass frames. Not cheap, Maui Jim brand. Have had in past without issue. He‘s lucky if he uses them a few times a month & they never sit in the heat of the car but, they oddly became mis-happen.

We now use vision works. Not sure if that’s a regional chain or national here. Our copay wound up nearly half the price Of vision works for designer frames
can sympathise Soniam with that. Growing up in the UK we had the IRA terrorists bombing us during the 70`s and into the 80`s constantly. So many innocent people including children murdered by them. Yes, the anger is indescribable.
hard to let such emotional stuff go. Not sure one should ever forget Such horrors. What bugs me about that particular situation is that is was glossed over in many quarters Here.
but the pole had broke right near the ground, so what’s left is stuck in the cement there.
now that is unusual. For ur DH sake hope it’s a foot deep vs below the frost line!
Can see her great pictures in the SW forum. Getting excited for my trip, which is now at a week. Eek. But as was enjoying that park fun a couple of weeks ago, luggage is at the front of the closet. I’m a last minute packer, and will be doing some wash the day before I leave. And as SW moved my crack of dawn flight to a late morning one, some very last minute packing will be the day I leave. Woot! Looking forward to some Fall park fun and meeting up with some homies.
she kindly did post so many great pics!

So many here scare me with last minute packing habits lol
I was watching some videos of last nights event, it looked quite heavy, but hard to see just how bad it was on screen. I agree, even light rain after a while would make you miserable.
I normally don‘t mind a bit of rain at home. Dress for it and carry on. However, in Orlando it’s a game breaker.

umbrellas = lightening rods & eye pokers in a heavy crowd.

Ponchos = sweat box. Especially, those park ones, ugh

i’m going with lightweight, disposable ponchos this trip However, they have arms/elasticized wristbands. Was tempted to buy the lightweight frog tog jackets you can wear as a shell, wind & waterproof. Just too many reviews said they didn’t breath/wick in any sense. :crazy2:

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers. Her son has travelled up today. He’s a lovely chap and will be great support. Chief Engineer at Land Rover/Jaguar. I’m going up on Tuesday to Wednesday.

My DS has been round with baby X for a few hours which L and J have loved and brightened us all.

Cooking a free range chicken etc for a traditional Sunday meal. Hope everyone else is doing well a d thank you again x

View attachment 604190
Yes, please!

ouch.

yum, haven’t made all summer. Tomatoes coming in hot & heavy, may have to rectify that this week.

i keep forgetting to watch them

i loaded up on them when everyone hunkered down. Figure a few bucks here & there, eventually will dump them once I clear them off. My DS are thrilled HBO extended the free NFL tix again this year. Nice to be able to watch on mobile device

yes, loved that variety! Was thrilled to be able to enjoy pineapple from dawn to dusk there lol

At the risk of sounding like a germaphobe…use it at home, especially door knobs & sinks. Never thought to spray on the masks.

Aw thanks. yes, cha cha real smooth, plot centers around party event planner? Guessing it won’t be an Oscar contender lol

i wasn’t happy with the local one last time we used them. they didn’t stand behind the quality of the mr’s sun glass frames. Not cheap, Maui Jim brand. Have had in past without issue. He‘s lucky if he uses them a few times a month & they never sit in the heat of the car but, they oddly became mis-happen.

We now use vision works. Not sure if that’s a regional chain or national here. Our copay wound up nearly half the price Of vision works for designer frames

hard to let such emotional stuff go. Not sure one should ever forget Such horrors. What bugs me about that particular situation is that is was glossed over in many quarters Here.

now that is unusual. For ur DH sake hope it’s a foot deep vs below the frost line!

she kindly did post so many great pics!

So many here scare me with last minute packing habits lol

I normally don‘t mind a bit of rain at home. Dress for it and carry on. However, in Orlando it’s a game breaker.

umbrellas = lightening rods & eye pokers in a heavy crowd.

Ponchos = sweat box. Especially, those park ones, ugh

i’m going with lightweight, disposable ponchos this trip However, they have arms/elasticized wristbands. Was tempted to buy the lightweight frog tog jackets you can wear as a shell, wind & waterproof. Just too many reviews said they didn’t breath/wick in any sense. :crazy2:

Yay....enjoy that football!!

Yes, the memories are vivid from when I was a young child wondering who and why was bombing us. My aunt lived in NYC from the mid 50`s often commented on the support they had, akin to them being freedom fighters >:( Probably too political for the Dis, I know we`ve discussed it before, but yes, so many bombing victims who`ll never be forgotten.

Oh the types of rain in Orlando is dreadful.....but we have some fun memories of walking back home after the parks or HHN and being drenched to the skin as if we had jumped into the pool.......and we laughed a lot at times like that!

But, for HHN......it`s downright miserable after a while.......always feel for the SA. I`ll never wear a poncho....yes, they must be a nightmare to wear with sweating!

Loving the GP now!!! Guy we don`t like has caused his own demise from the race by not allowing one of our favourites enough room on the track, they collided.....shame our guy is out too though......well, one of our favourites.

Yeah, we soak the ham for quite awhile too. We bake it in the oven for hours. I do like it. Virginia hams, and most pork products I do like. Growing up, very little pork products served in our home. When we did have it, my mom would always cook pork meats in different pans than her usual pans.

Julie, nice to visit to show your support and give company in the sadness. Shocking, it happened, as will take her time to grieve, but know she will always have his sweet memories in her heart.

Ah yes, Keisha, the football season is here. Screaming birds better do better this year. Else, with the fans now in the stadium, our boo birds will be out. Sigh, I prefer to watch the games on the screen. Think older one may be wearing your QB Jersey today. I think he has our team’s t shirts, but he likes jerseys more and he is more football fan of a guy, not so much a team.

Ooh, I hear both kids. Brunch it may be. Will see what they want to eat. And I hear DH out there chipping at that old post base. Hope he can break it up without much effort.

Yeah, we soak the ham for quite awhile too. We bake it in the oven for hours.

Oh goes without saying to soak it.

I`m always interested in the different ways folks cook it.......each to their own for sure.

We have some rain......seems like a flash downpour as it disappeared as fast as it arrived.

Sorted through our DVD`s earlier....we have around 12 Christmas movies we watch faithfully every year.......and we can`t find one. Christmas Vacation seems to have vanished, and neither of us can remember loaning it to anyone. Had another look and it`s definitely not there......maybe one of those little mysteries and it`ll turn up in the laundry room one day!

Happy Sunday. It has been mostly a lazy one for me. I did finally venture out of the house for the first time in over a week. I picked up a couple of things at Walmart that I need for my trip. I think I am officially old. I bought a pair of sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses.

lol……that would make a cool horror movie idea!

Cats are naturally creepy at times……..
I think my cat would be good in a horror movie. He's great at jump scares.

Dropped over $1000, well husband did since he has the job now, at the eye doctor today for all 3 of us. Son had to get regular and sunglass frames/lenses. He is learning to drive and will need sunglasses. Husband and I had to get new lenses. We have insurance, but it just doesn't cover much. Can't wait to get my old glasses back with new lenses. Both hubby and I are sitting around sort of blind/fuzzy using old glasses.
Ugh, I can relate. DH gets regular glasses and prescription sunglasses. I get regular glasses and computer glasses. We both wear progressives. B gets daily disposable contacts. She also got a new pair of glasses this year. She had been wearing the same frames for several years.

Charade glad you’re getting sleep. Body’s way of healing. Oh, yes. What I meant for packing is everything is washed and laid out ready to go into suitcases. But I don’t physically put them in until night before trip. I do have other things in suitcase already like mug, popcorn bucket, bathing suit, cover up, toiletries etc. Tomorrow underwear and nighties. But clothes will wait.
I have nothing in a suitcase right now. Most stuff will get packed the night before. A few more things might get packed the morning of, although I may have bought enough travel stuff that I won't have to do that.

Baking a ham for Sunday dinner today, it`ll slowly roast away all day in the Aga with honey, mustard, crushed pineapple and brown sugar. Should be lovely.
Sounds really good.

I rarely pack rain gear when I got to the parks. I just deal with it when it happens. I try to bring as little as possible with me when I go to the parks.

Supper time soon. I might go out and get something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!