Solo or Cancel?

Changing subject a bit: Royal Palm Club is great. Love Gayle and Laurette. They are the sweetest. But try floor 14 at CR sometime. 14 not 12. My DH likes CR 14th floor the best I like GF 4030 or 4021 the best. We always eat at great places when together. So I don't do when alone but I to think it is a great idea to do so alone if do not normally do so. I feel so safe in the Disney bubble alone. Not something I feel in many other places we travel. Here's to going it alone when we so desire at the most Magical Place on Earth!!!!! Pixi dust does exist :).

DH said he won't go back until Club Level is open again. I like the rooms at CR better than GF because of their size and layout. But DH loves RPC so much that we took his entire family in Jan 2020 for his mom's 90th birthday. I LOVE 4401 - it's a bit of a walk at the very end of the hall but that theme park view with the monorail going by on the side is just wonderful.

As to eating alone at TS: DO IT! If you're uncomfortable at first, take a book or watch a YouTube on your phone to keep you company. Or just watch the people.

When my children were little and I never got to even go to the bathroom alone I began going out to lunch at least once week. It was such small act of self-care - away from co-workers and not having to be a "mom" - that I now see that solo dining as an opportunity to just treat myself with kindness. And it's so nice to order just what I want - which sometimes is simply an appetizer or dessert and coffee

Thank you all for sharing your support and enthusiasm. You've definitely helped me feel that it's okay to do this. I talked to my son today and he's fine with me going alone- not envious or sad since he'll enjoy being with his dad, and that was important to me. If he felt bad about it I wouldn't have gone. He wants me to have a good time. I've booked the Grand Floridian for those last two nights and am now looking forward to a special March trip.

Thank you all for sharing your support and enthusiasm. You've definitely helped me feel that it's okay to do this. I talked to my son today and he's fine with me going alone- not envious or sad since he'll enjoy being with his dad, and that was important to me. If he felt bad about it I wouldn't have gone. He wants me to have a good time. I've booked the Grand Floridian for those last two nights and am now looking forward to a special March trip.
I'm glad talked to your son to make sure he was okay with it. I just did a solo trip in the last month. It was very different than my other solo trips in good and bad ways. I usually enjoy dining the most and things are so different with dining right now that it wasn't as pleasurable as other trips. I ended up enjoying more resort time, and even ordered meals from outside restaurants end enjoyed them in my room. Upgrading to Deluxe really made my trip enjoyable so I think staying DVC will surely help in making a enjoyable, relaxing trip.

I'm glad talked to your son to make sure he was okay with it. I just did a solo trip in the last month. It was very different than my other solo trips in good and bad ways. I usually enjoy dining the most and things are so different with dining right now that it wasn't as pleasurable as other trips. I ended up enjoying more resort time, and even ordered meals from outside restaurants end enjoyed them in my room. Upgrading to Deluxe really made my trip enjoyable so I think staying DVC will surely help in making a enjoyable, relaxing trip.

I'd love to hear why you didn't enjoy the dining. It was one of my favorite things from the last two trips (Jan and Feb)

I've done many solo trips. I travel with friends/family but also love the freedom to change my itinerary whenever I want, eat what I want, hang out at the resort if I want... . .. I stay on property.

My suggestion is bring a book/tablet/game that you can use while eating.

I've done many solo trips. I travel with friends/family but also love the freedom to change my itinerary whenever I want, eat what I want, hang out at the resort if I want... . .. I stay on property.

My suggestion is bring a book/tablet/game that you can use while eating.
Will do. I'm actually not shy about eating alone in restaurants. Getting ADRs for March right now is a challenge, though. I have managed to book Tiffins and Le Cellier. Haven't had luck yet with Brown Derby or Sanaa.

Will do. I'm actually not shy about eating alone in restaurants. Getting ADRs for March right now is a challenge, though. I have managed to book Tiffins and Le Cellier. Haven't had luck yet with Brown Derby or Sanaa.

Keep trying on the reservations. I wasn't getting many of the places I wanted, either, but finally got California Grill, Brown Derby, and even a dinner at Toppolinas.

If you don't get Tiffins, try to get on the waitlist at Nomad Lounge (unless there's something specific you want from Tiffins). In addition to the menu online, last month they had a big charcuterie platter, beef sliders, and a couple of other items. And it's just so NICE to sit out on that patio and watch the character boats go by.

I'd love to hear why you didn't enjoy the dining. It was one of my favorite things from the last two trips (Jan and Feb)
There were not nearly as many reservations to be had, I didn't get any reservations to favorites, the menus seemed to be stripped down. It was weird to not have the restaurant full, not in a self-conscious way, but in atmosphere. The poor servers have to wear masks and shields and it is so hard to hear them. Bars only have a stools available and if you want to go to a lounge you may need to get a callback when they have space again. It wasn't horrible by any means, but it wasn't the experience I've grown to like over the years. The best meal was at Topolino's. I really didn't want to eat there, but I did out of convenience and was really pleased. Also, ABC Commissary's new menu was a really pleasant surprise. I had a curry dish and it was excellent.

I used Uber eats for my delivery. I just got some random Japanese place and it wasn't too bad. I also had Texas de Brazil and it was good. I'm sure there are a lot of other wonderful places to order from too. I did use Ubers grocery service too and had them shop at Publix and was pleased with what I got and the delivery.

I'm a single mom with a teenage son. My son and I have annual passes that have been extended through this spring, and we had a spring break trip booked for mid-March, renting DVC points. My son has recently developed an acute inner ear problem, so he won't be flying by next month. He also hasn't seen his father much lately for Covid reasons (his father is very scared of Covid, so he requested a reduced visitation schedule that gives him less Covid exposure). Since my son can't travel, I suggested that he spend spring break with his father to make up for lost time, and he really liked the idea and his father agreed to it.

So the question for me now is, should I try to use our travel insurance to get refunded for the nonrefundable costs of our trip (DVC rental, mainly), or just go alone? I've never really vacationed alone, and am concerned about feeling lonely or like I'm wasting the trip. On the other hand, I'd love to get away from home and indulge myself a bit, soak in a hot tub, have some fun. And my annual pass will be expired by the time I can travel with my son again.

Any advice?
I vote for going alone also. You may really enjoy it.

Definitely look for reservations for 2 - a lot of the places won't show up for 1. You'll be seated at a 2-top anyway, and as long as you show up, there is no penalty for not having that extra ghost.

Definitely look for reservations for 2 - a lot of the places won't show up for 1. You'll be seated at a 2-top anyway, and as long as you show up, there is no penalty for not having that extra ghost.
agree with this. I did this a lot before Covid on my solo trips to Disneyland California. There is no need to be self conscious, just check in at the host stand and say just me and they don't care. You want be charged a no show for just being 1 not 2 :)

Also in places where its not table service and you sit at a 4 top to eat your food, again don't feel guilty that you are taking up a space for a family. Some people will try to make you uncomfortable for taking a table they feel they have more right than you, thats bull. If I see someone giving me the evil eye because I'm at a four top, it makes me stay longer just to spite them. No one has the right to make you feel uncomfortable for being solo.

Also in places where its not table service and you sit at a 4 top to eat your food, again don't feel guilty that you are taking up a space for a family. Some people will try to make you uncomfortable for taking a table they feel they have more right than you, thats bull. If I see someone giving me the evil eye because I'm at a four top, it makes me stay longer just to spite them. No one has the right to make you feel uncomfortable for being solo.

This exactly!!! If it's a TS restaurant, I'm there because that is where the host seated me. If you have a problem with it, take it up with them! And if it's a QS, I can say definitively Capt Cook's didn't even have 2-tops, and I didn't see any at Satu'li, so you don't really have a choice at many of them!

Also, I had a couple of hosts say "Don't say 'Just me'! You're fabulous!" :D

This exactly!!! If it's a TS restaurant, I'm there because that is where the host seated me. If you have a problem with it, take it up with them! And if it's a QS, I can say definitively Capt Cook's didn't even have 2-tops, and I didn't see any at Satu'li, so you don't really have a choice at many of them!

Also, I had a couple of hosts say "Don't say 'Just me'! You're fabulous!" :D

In Disneyland, at Blue Bayou, I always request a waterside table. I know I get the evil eye because I'm sat there at a 4 top in a sought after location, but I don't care :)

Another time I was at Red Rose Tavern (quick service) in Disneyland, eating pizza and this woman was really giving me the evil eye, so I pulled a book out of my bag and sat back in the chair :rotfl2:oooh she was mad

With the Covid procedures, it is nicer for solo travelers. You get your own row on rides, own Skyliner car. No sitting with strangers on SDD or 7DMT.
Good point- never considered that. Even though I've never been solo before, I have been a party of 2 many times and even then they used to sometimes force you into groups with others. I remember years ago paying $100+ for a Garden Grill dinner at which we had to share a booth (with a slightly spaced apart seat) with another family. Didn't want to make a fuss at the time but I'm older & tougher now and I wouldn't take that Covid or not. But glad to know that kind of thing wouldn't even be suggested now. In that sense I suppose Covid is liberating to singles as they can't force us to buddy up with strangers.

You could do a trip report and take us all with you!
Nice idea. Maybe I will do a trip report this time. I've wanted to a few times before but never had time. Since I'll have more down time on this trip, that would be a great way to keep in touch with other people while I'm enjoying my vacation.

Anyone have tips on adding pics to posts? That's something I don't know how to do.

I have done multiple WDW solo trips. Four solo trips since park’s reopening. With the Covid procedures, it is nicer for solo travelers. You get your own row on rides, own Skyliner car. No sitting with strangers on SDD or 7DMT.

I am going to be so sad when they go back to multiple parties per row - especially on Kilimanjaro Safaris. I got amazing pictures on each round this past trip because I was able to slide from side to side depending on where the animals were!!

And when they start putting multiple parties in the gondolas, that will again be the end of any of the “Skyliner resorts” for me. Nothing worse than being stuck in the air in small box with a stranger for 10+ minutes. And yes, that did happen to me shortly after they opened. AWKWARD.

Nice idea. Maybe I will do a trip report this time. I've wanted to a few times before but never had time. Since I'll have more down time on this trip, that would be a great way to keep in touch with other people while I'm enjoying my vacation.

Anyone have tips on adding pics to posts? That's something I don't know how to do.

I just put mine in a blog post. Easier than dealing with the silliness on here where everything posts sideways.

Example: https://bethscapades.com/2021/02/19...rxnTQehRVVvG9nI9NPnXjcRO3c8Vd20cOQQpGLpCCDLb8

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter