Solo Disney cruisers, what does your typical day on the ship look like?

jimmymc

Professional Adventurer!
Recently, I've been looking at taking my first Disney cruise. I'm a frequent solo traveler to both Disney and non-Disney destinations, so I'm comfortable doing things and eating on my own, but it seems like a lot of the experiences and activities on DCL are designed for groups and families. So I was wondering, for people who have done it before, what does your day on the ship normally look like as a solo cruiser? Do you participate in activities like trivia and game shows, sit up on deck, go to the thermal suite, or something else? And my biggest concern, do you feel there is enough to do for someone who normally likes a fast-paced vacation? Thank you!

I can't speak to solo cruising personally, but I think you'll have a great time. There are often solo people at game shows and trivia because the rest of their party is doing something else. There are many times that me and my husband split up with me lounging and reading a book and him off doing....who knows? I can say that he's a pretty active/busy guy and doesn't prefer to just sit and relax often and he loves Disney cruises.

Ive done 2 solo DCL cruise with my 3rd booked for August 2024

Embarkation Day
  • Get the earliest PAT / Boarding Time that I can
  • Once onboard go to Dining Team and get Palo Brunch reservation
  • Get Rainforest Room length of cruise pass
  • Lunch at MDR
  • After lunch go to room and put up door magnets
  • Wander around the ship until Muster Drill
  • After Muster Drill, get drink of the day and watch sail out from adult area
  • Go to early dining (special request private table)
  • Go to shops in the quiet time after meal before 1st show ends
  • Go to 2nd show
  • Go to adult areas, have 1 drink
  • Night time walk on deck 4 before bed
Day At Sea
  • Check sunrise time and get up for sunrise, usually approx 6.30am / 7am
  • Get coffee and pastries in cove cafe and watch sunrise, take photos of empty pool deck and atrium
  • Have breakfast in MDR or Palo Brunch
  • After breakfast go to Rainforest Room, adult pool
  • Alcohol Tasting either mid morning or afternoon, depending on the day
  • Lunch in MDR
  • Afternoon Kids Club open house, Art of the Theme Show Tour,
  • Afternoon snacks in cove cafe / adult areas
  • Main Dining
  • 2nd show
  • Shopping
Port Day
  • Check sunrise time and get up for sunrise, usually approx 6.30am / 7am
  • Get coffee and pastries in cove cafe and watch sunrise, take photos of sail in to port
  • Go to Rainforest Room or adult pool
  • DIY in port, usually leave ship approx 11am
  • Back on the ship approx 3pm, go to Rainforest Room or adult pool
  • Afternoon snacks cove cafe / adult areas
  • Main Dining
  • 2nd show
  • Shopping

I tend to go opposite the main crowd patterns. I dont do character meets, bingo or the trivia, I stay in the adult areas, or do things like Kids Club Open House. I dont eat in Cabanas, but will go in after the main breakfast and lunch rush and take photos and sometimes have a dessert. I love the early mornings both on sea days and on port days. I love watching the sun rise and sail ins to the port. I only go to the adult night time entertainment on embarkation night, the other nights I prefer to just go to the shops or walk around the empty pool deck and atrium areas. I prefer to go back to my room and have an early night instead of staying up late.

On my first cruise I went to some trivia but it was just not enjoyable, as a lot of the questions are for the American cruise passengers and I am from Europe, and the Star Wars and Marvel trivia are the questions from those special cruises which have lots of big fans.

And my biggest concern, do you feel there is enough to do for someone who normally likes a fast-paced vacation? Thank you!

For me yes. I also go to Disney Parks solo and do a lot of solo travel. I am a planner and go go go person. In Disney Parks I do rope drop to close, get Genie+ and Individual Attraction Lightning Lanes, do ADR, and have a basic schedule / day by day touring plan for each park day.

On the Disney cruises, I do the same, but its more compact and all in one place. I have some things like alcohol tastings pre booked before the cruise so I use that as a guide. I go to Disney Cruise Blog and find a recent cruise on the ship I will be on, for the same amount of days and check the daily planners to get an idea of what sea days and port day activities are.

I know I like getting up early to see sunrises, I know I like going to the Rainforest Room. I do things I like doing, but are not necessarily the same things that the families do, or at the same time all the big crowds do things.

For example, the cinema is usually empty in the morning but they still show films. The shops are empty in the evenings when the main theatre show is on. The family pool is people soup with screaming kids, while the adult pool may be empty.

For me yes. I also go to Disney Parks solo and do a lot of solo travel. I am a planner and go go go person. In Disney Parks I do rope drop to close, get Genie+ and Individual Attraction Lightning Lanes, do ADR, and have a basic schedule / day by day touring plan for each park day.

On the Disney cruises, I do the same, but its more compact and all in one place. I have some things like alcohol tastings pre booked before the cruise so I use that as a guide. I go to Disney Cruise Blog and find a recent cruise on the ship I will be on, for the same amount of days and check the daily planners to get an idea of what sea days and port day activities are.

I know I like getting up early to see sunrises, I know I like going to the Rainforest Room. I do things I like doing, but are not necessarily the same things that the families do, or at the same time all the big crowds do things.

For example, the cinema is usually empty in the morning but they still show films. The shops are empty in the evenings when the main theatre show is on. The family pool is people soup with screaming kids, while the adult pool may be empty.
That is all great to know, thank you. I'm also an open to close park person and frequently get Genie+, so I was really concerned there would be stretches of time on the ship where I was bored. I've done cruises with other lines where the sea day entertainment was lacking, so I was wondering how different DCL is.

That is all great to know, thank you. I'm also an open to close park person and frequently get Genie+, so I was really concerned there would be stretches of time on the ship where I was bored. I've done cruises with other lines where the sea day entertainment was lacking, so I was wondering how different DCL is.
Well then you will be fine. You know already what you like and dont like doing on a cruise ship, so on a Disney cruise, just base your day like you would on other cruises and then add in all the Disney things. The Disney cruises have a lot more things to do. Just like in the parks, many things which are perceived to be kid things are just as enjoyable for adults. Research the Disney ship, as there are different things depending on the class.

Have never cruised solo, but my husband and I often split up to do different things like earlier poster said. You can join other people as a team for trivia. Our cruise this summer had some meetups for solo cruisers. For a fast paced vacation, choose a port intensive itinerary. You may find you cannot do all that you want to on the ship.

There are plenty of different activities. Especially on sea days. I did a 7 night cruise last November. Didn’t go to bingo, trivia or nightclubs at night. Still found stuff to do. I watched 3 Broadway shows, 3 movies in the theater, numerous characters meet and greets. I did some coloring, towel folding class, tried to make a 3d paper Chip, saved the puppies doing Midship Detective agency.

On a sea day on my transatlantic it was seeing characters, activities (like anyone can cook or trivia), the Rain Forest Room, the shows, and then meals inbetween. Sometimes the adults only shows.

Whether solo or with sister or her daughters (starting when teens), there is very little variation in my experience.

And that’s Disney, Norwegian, Royal, Princess, Carnival, or MSC. But mainly I cruise Disney.

I am happy with some trivia (well, lots), movies (movie theater other than on Wish and late night FunnelVision), hanging around the ship, dining. Disney has the advantage of fireworks on Pirate Night and several production shows I enjoy (not the same ones as many, because I love The Golden Mickeys, but pass on Twice Charmed and Believe). Just sitting upstairs in the Atrium and watching everyone enjoy the characters passes the time. But also the Sea Air! And sunsets viewed from the Deck 4 Promenade.

I would not recommend an itinerary with a bunch of Sea Days to someone who likes a fast-paced experience.

I said it on here recently - repeating what I hear a lot - you go to the Parks then you go on a cruise to relax and recover.

If you can find an itinerary with some fun ports and a day or two at sea, maybe it would keep you interested.

And when I think of cruising, unless otherwise specified, I think Bahamas or typical Caribbean (for others).

Last edited:
And when I think of cruising, unless otherwise specified, I think Bahamas or typical Caribbean (for others).
I only cruise in Europe. Both cruises I did had 2 sea days.

The ports in Europe are very different and mostly are not relaxing beach days.

So far I have done a 7 night Norwegian Fjords, with 4 port days and a 4 night to Spain with 1 port day.

My next cruise is a 5 night to Spain with 2 port days, 2 sea days.

As the European ports are city ports, there is a lot of things to do, so I usually end up doing about 20,000 steps.

Whether solo or with sister or her daughters (starting when teens), there is very little variation in my experience.

And that’s Disney, Norwegian, Royal, Princess, Carnival, or MSC. But mainly I cruise Disney.

I am happy with some trivia (well, lots), movies (movie theater other than on Wish and late night FunnelVision), hanging around the ship, dining. Disney has the advantage of fireworks on Pirate Night and several production shows I enjoy (not the same ones as many, because I love The Golden Mickeys, but pass on Twice Charmed and Believe). Just sitting upstairs in the Atrium and watching everyone enjoy the characters passes the time. But also the Sea Air! And subsets viewed from the Deck 4 Promenade.

I would not recommend an itinerary with a bunch of Sea Days to someone who likes a fast-paced experience.

I said it on here recently - repeating what I hear a lot - you go to the Parks then you go on a cruise to relax and recover.

If you can find an itinerary with some fun ports and a day or two at sea, maybe it would keep you interested.

I'm thinking of either a Castaway Cay double dip or a cruise with both Castaway and Lighthouse point. Those are a big reason why I want to pay the premium for Disney. I think most of those normally have one sea day, which sounds about perfect.

I'm thinking of either a Castaway Cay double dip or a cruise with both Castaway and Lighthouse point. Those are a big reason why I want to pay the premium for Disney. I think most of those normally have one sea day, which sounds about perfect.

If you are thinking of a 5-night DD or CC+LC, it would be a great Disney Bahamas cruise. It is rather low-key, but it really showcases DCL.

Sounds like you’ve done some research. So you are aware that these are pretty much simple beaches. The water is calm at CC, but I think the new development at Lighthouse Point will give more of an ocean feel with waves.

I have done the parasailing at CC; that was fun. You can run the DIY 5K on CC.

And you can be as active as you like, it’s just not the run-run get to the next big thing like the parks.

If you are thinking of a 5-night DD or CC+LC, it would be a great Disney Bahamas cruise. It is rather low-key, but it really showcases DCL.

Sounds like you’ve done some research. So you are aware that these are pretty much simple beaches. The water is calm at CC, but I think the new development at Lighthouse Point will give more of an ocean feel with waves.

I have done the parasailing at CC; that was fun. You can run the DIY 5K on CC.

And you can be as active as you like, it’s just not the run-run get to the next big thing like the parks.
Simple beaches and maybe bike rentals are exactly what I'm looking for. CC, LC, another port, and a day at sea seems like a great option.

I have done almost 20 solo Disney cruises and love them. I like that there are a lot of activities going on throughout the day so if I want to be busy I can. But I also enjoy relaxing and having downtime when I want. I love the evening shows, live musicians, and the adult areas the most. It can be a hectic day if you want it to be. It is a different kind of hectic than the parks. I find it much more tolerable and less exhausting these days than the parks. There really isn't anything as a solo that I don't do on the ship. I enjoy everything. The only thing that I can think of is riding the AquaDuck. When it is windy, they require two riders, but that was a rare occasion.

I agree that a 5-nt to the two islands with a sea day is a nice way to see if DCL works for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter