Solo cruise on Disney Cruise Line?

pirate33

Mouseketeer
DVC Gold
Well, my husband recently passed away, and I’m contemplating my new life at age 55. I’ve read a number of posts about solo cruisers on DCL who rave but have any LGBT friends done this? I would do concierge if that matters so I could have my own table at dinner if I want. I was thinking about the recently announced transatlantic in May. I have done one Disney cruise with my deceased husband and our son, now 16, but since DCL is so family oriented I wonder if I would be better off with Cunard or some other line for a transatlantic. But, on the other hand, I am a Disney fanatic.

I wanted to arrange a trip in 2022 with other family but it is just not working out.

Transatlantic is a bucket list trip and even more so in light of recent sad developments.

As a PPS, I am confident my son would not want to have another Disney cruise. We had one a couple years ago, which was awesome, but I think I planned that just in the nick of time in terms of his development. He enjoyed the cruise but wouldn’t want another one right now. Not cool! Our son had 2 dads and one mom, now just 1 dad and 1 mom, so we alternate. Hence I have some freedom to travel off season while also being attentive to my son.

OK, so this is from a straight white male (who has a lesbian step-daughter) so take it with a grain of salt....

First my condolences on the loss of your husband. I can't imagine how hard that must be.

As far as being concerned about DCL being so family oriented goes we've found it to be all inclusive. There appears to be something for everybody. We've sailed on DCL 15 times now and I believe that every single one of them was with some LGBT friends of ours. There was never an awkward moment with the single or couples that we sailed with. Other passengers have not caused a scene. Crew has always been great.

And, I must say, argh mateys. Looking forward to your thoughts.
I say, do it. Life is too short to keep wondering.

random, DCL is on my bucket list together with DW. DW is coming. Hoping that I could go on cruise in the future.

Sorry for the tangent, but...
In the words of a fictional starship captain (who happens to be gay IRL) 'Make it So'
I hope this isn't going to come as a disappointment, but Patrick Stewart isn't gay,* he's just a very outspoken and active ally to the LGBTQ+ community. He has no problem flying rainbow flags, and he has publicly kissed his best friend Ian McKellen — who is gay — and the media occasionally makes assumptions about him. Partly that's based on his close friendship with McKellen, but gay fans were already trying to claim him since the '90s, long before Stewart and McKellen really got to know each other while working on X-Men. Stewart finds it amusing and corrects the rumors without being offended by them.

For his part, Stewart is married to a woman (he's also said he's not bi, by the way). In fact, McKellen officiated at their wedding.

* That first link talks about Patrick Stewart supporting "Ellen" Page when "she" first came out, so it might be helpful to note that that was when Page came out as gay in 2014, not when Elliot Page came out as trans last year. That name and pronoun are dead now, but that wouldn't have been known at the time.

@pirate33, since I hijacked the thread, I owe you a real comment on your topic. :)

My condolences regarding your husband. I haven't done any Disney cruises, so I'm afraid I can't answer your question with that kind of experience backing me up. You're concerned about DCL being family-friendly, but that's probably a benefit for solo travelers because it means the solo programming might not have the subtle (or not-so-subtle) matchmaking undertone that I suspect it sometimes could on adults-only cruises. And you'd be with other solo grownups, I'd imagine, because kids aren't going to be on a cruise solo. I don't know first-hand or anything, but my guess is that you'd fit right in.

Since you've done DCL before with your family, and you know you'll enjoy the Disney content, it's probably a pretty good bet.

Sorry for the tangent, but...

I hope this isn't going to come as a disappointment, but Patrick Stewart isn't gay,* he's just a very outspoken and active ally to the LGBTQ+ community. He has no problem flying rainbow flags, and he has publicly kissed his best friend Ian McKellen — who is gay — and the media occasionally makes assumptions about him. Partly that's based on his close friendship with McKellen, but gay fans were already trying to claim him since the '90s, long before Stewart and McKellen really got to know each other while working on X-Men. Stewart finds it amusing and corrects the rumors without being offended by them.

For his part, Stewart is married to a woman (he's also said he's not bi, by the way). In fact, McKellen officiated at their wedding.

* That first link talks about Patrick Stewart supporting "Ellen" Page when "she" first came out, so it might be helpful to note that that was when Page came out as gay in 2014, not when Elliot Page came out as trans last year. That name and pronoun are dead now, but thahas ft wouldn't have been known at the time.

Thanks for the correction, In point of fact neither am I however when I was younger a gay couple took care of me during the summer while my grandmother who raised me taught her classes, (college professor) so the rainbow flag has flown for a long time at my house.

The world would be a better place if people spent more time with people NOT like themselves they would discover whatever the outward differences are the similarities are much greater.

Thanks for all these responses! OKW Lover in particular I’m so glad you watch this forum. I think I will do it. I’m actually proposing an Alaska cruise for next summer with my in laws (father, mother, brother, sister and kids) but not sure it will happen. I hope it will! I was thinking of 2022 transatlantic for solo but it sold out almost instantly. A good thing to keep on my bucket list.

But, oh, the prices. Wow!

P.S. My son is interested in the family cruise if it comes together. He‘d like to bring a friend; ok by me!

I personally haven't ever done a disney cruise on my own. However, me and my husband have done 15 and never had a problem - infact I'd take a disney cruise over WDW anyway (where we have been subjected to derogatory comments).

It's useful to join Facebook groups ahead of cruises (although sometimes these can also be really annoying) as a way of meeting people - there are often planned meet ups etc. And it's a great way to meet like-minded people.

The great thing about a Disney Cruise is everyone is out to have a good time - I've often made friends at trivia or drinks classes.

We have done transatlantic cruises In the past. We were meant to be on this year's one.... but covid had other plans.... we are on next year's transatlantic though - as the cruises are longer it's a great way of meeting friends and also the ports are great!

Whatever you end up doing, embrace life - im sure your husband will be with you in your heart every step of the way and enjoy seeing you live your life and tick off your bucket list!

Keep in mind, cruising is priced on double occupancy . You still have to pay for 2 guest in cabin. So invite someone since it is really the same price for you.

This is what kills me about DCL. I want to cruise on the Wish for my 40th next year but I don't have anybody to go with!! Could they discount it alittle bit?? But i guess they don't have issues filling rooms so they don't care.

Well, I have a straight friend that travels with me a lot. His wife is not a traveler. We often go to Disney World, and take his grandkids on trips to educational venues during the summer. So if you have a good friend, invite them along. Hopefully they will pay half the cabin.

When we go to Disney, I use my DVC points, but he buys all the meals. He loves to travel, but hates doing the planning, so I just handle all the arrangements.

It's not unheard of for cruise lines, especially the kind that cater to a specific audience, to offer a way for solo travelers to find cabinmates ahead of time (the lesbian travel company Olivia does this for their cruises, for instance), but I guess Disney doesn't? I don't have experience with that. Maybe it's something that can be done on this or another message board?

Norwegian caters to solos pretty well and you wont get stuck paying for 200 percent for one person ive done it 3 times and would recommend it for sure
look for the ships with the studio solo rooms

Norwegian caters to solos pretty well and you wont get stuck paying for 200 percent for one person ive done it 3 times and would recommend it for sure
look for the ships with the studio solo rooms
I've cruised Norwegian and always wondered how the solo studios are. Sounds like they are ok? The concept is great and something I want to recommend to my my single friends.

To the OP - You only live once and if this is something you want to do, and you know you enjoy the Disney experience, DO IT. I have friends who've done DCL for their (childless) honeymoon, Disney has something for everyone. Every cruise I've been on we've found our niche and enjoyed it. Why wait?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter