DisneyFan1997

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone,

I am new to DIS boards, but have been a lifelong Disney fan. I have never done a Disney Cruise before and I am seriously considering doing a 3 night solo cruise next year. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I am just looking for feedback from people who have done a solo Disney cruise before- what was your experience like? Was it at all awkward? Would you do it again, or have you done it again, if you have?

I solo cruise on Disney most years. Honestly its a great experience and I don't feel awkward. They try and match up solos for dinner (usually you are put with other solos or adult only groups which is nice). I'm not over outgoing but always find people to do quizes with etc. Overall its just a lovely experience on a DCL cruise I find.

It depends on how you feel about doing anything solo. My life has been spent a combo of solo but within a smallish extended family structure.

Do you feel awkward dining alone? Can you go to the movies or a theme park without anyone? Take any type of trip? Stay in a hotel?

I have sailed all lengths of cruises, booked for just me. Visited WDW, DL, DLP.

I also don’t focus on meeting other solos. Most of the people I interact with are couples - again, I have spent my life within a family. Typically, these are childless pairs or empty-nesters. I have never been a party person, so it is typically just interacting with those around me. Pub quizzes are an easy way to share time. Sometimes you have fun together on an excursion.

I am wondering whether a short cruise is better or worse for meeting other singles. They are often seen as party cruises - so I personally would avoid them. But they might appeal to many for just that reason. Maybe someone will have some insight into this.

But I do not go on a cruise for interaction or the intent on meeting people. I don’t have that as a goal. I go on a cruise or vacation because it is something I want to do - even if no one I know is available or wants to do it. I probably pick the itinerary with an unstated set of parameters - I wouldn‘t go to a beach everyday by myself (the old rule of don’t swim alone) - and I don’t lounge in the sun. Like most trip planning, look at what you will be doing - destination, activities (or simply relaxing).

I don‘t want to miss out on life just because I don’t have a partner.

And I personally recommend as much travel in life as possible. There’s an amazing world out there.

I have cruised solo with DCL many times (10+) on 4 out of the 5 ships. I have also done the WIsh, but not solo.

I am very content being on my own and enjoying a book. I also don't really have an issue talking with strangers when I want some interaction. I think DCL offers the best of both worlds.

I do think it is much easier to connect with others on the Magic and Wonder due to the smaller and more intimate feel, but I still have a great time on the other ones.

@auntlynne brought up good points and questions to ask yourself. If you are not comfortable on your own, it might not be the best fit. However, if you are, it can be an amazing way to travel solo.

Second and third what previous posters have said. Whether or not you enjoy it really depends on if you currently enjoy doing things on your own. If the answer is yes, you'll enjoy it. If the answer is no, probably not. DCL is pretty expensive to do on your own as you're paying for 2 people regardless. If you're not sure if you would like traveling on your own, do a short, inexpensive weekend trip somewhere and see if you enjoy it. A couple of cruise lines have single traveler rooms, but I think they're pretty limited on quantity (and DCL does not).

But if you are trying to stretch yourself and get out there - solo or not, a Disney cruise is a great experience for many people. I don’t want to discourage you - getting comfortable doing things on your own is a new experience for a lot of people. I still prefer to go with someone / others.

I've cruised DCL solo four times, and cruised DCL with my son six times. There are pluses to cruising both ways: self-indulgence for the former, and companionship for the latter. I'll give the pros and cons of cruising solo with DCL, from my perspective, starting with the cons, to end on a positive note:

Cons:
  • Most of the guests on Disney's tropical cruises are traveling in families or at least couples. There are some solos but not many. You will be different.
  • You are unlikely to find people onboard who are looking to chat or make friends with a single person. Most people are absorbed with their own families/companions, and are not looking to socialize with a single stranger.
  • A lot of the activities are child-oriented. For example, character greetings, or the Midship Detective Agency. Now, adults can participate in those, but as a solo adult, you might feel a tad awkward doing so. I'm not saying you should or will, but I'll be honest and say that you might.
  • You'll hear "You're traveling alone?" or something similar in a slightly surprised or regretful tone from various service people such as your room server, dining server, etc. When one of the "thug" characters at Rapunzel's Royal Table stopped by my table, he actually joked, "Where are your friends? Do you smell?" He wasn't mean about it and I took it in humor, but it was clear that I was an anomaly onboard.
  • If you want to ride the Aqua Duck, you might not be able to while the ship is sailing, because it is often restricted to two riders only due to wind. On one cruise, which didn't even feel particularly windy to me, and wasn't at all rocky, pretty much anytime we were sailing, the AquaDuck was two riders only.

Pros:
  • No one will be rude or mistreat you because you are traveling solo. I've never had any rude remarks, and DCL staff of all kinds have been just as solicitous to me when I've traveled solo as when I've traveled with family.
  • You can usually get a solo table at second seating dinner if you press for it. (I've never had to share.)
  • The adult areas onboard and on Castaway Cay are spacious and peaceful. (I'm only referring to the original four ships, as I have never sailed the Wish, and reviews of her adult areas aren't so great.)
  • The staterooms are very comfortable on DCL, with Disney on Demand, and with most room service food being complimentary (give a tip) and are a great place to hang out and relax in a self-indulgent way, on your own schedule, in a way that can be hard to do if you have a companion.
  • It's really easy to drop into the rainforest room on a whim when you're traveling solo. Get a cruise-length pass if you're sailing on the Dream class.

Last edited:
I did a solo 3-night cruise on the Wish in April of this year. I really enjoyed it, though not sure I would do a solo cruise much longer than 3 or 4 nights (nothing bad happened, I just recognize with my personality and travel that I'd rather share experiences with friends/family). The 3-night allowed me to explore the (new to me) ship at my own pace. I requested a solo table (I don't like small talk, so the idea of sitting with strangers at dinner was personally not appealing), and while they didn't set it up ahead of time I went to dining services once I boarded and they gave me my own table.

Being solo also means you have more options for seating at the theater shows (easy to grab that one empty seat closer to the font than if you're in a group!). I will say I didn't get any of the "you're traveling alone?" comments that @Cheburashka noted (but I'm sure that varies a bit depending on your servers, etc.)

I did have a wind issue with the AquaMouse (on the Wish). I waited in line and when I got to the front they told me it was double riders only (due to the high winds). The CM at the top was surprised the CM letting us in line didn't tell me. Thankfully she checked with another CM and found out they had just switched back to single rider. I would have been a bit bummed to have not been able to try it out, but it certainly wouldn't have ruined the trip.

Also, on DCL if you cruise solo you'll pay the same rate as two people (except you'll only pay port fees for one). If you're cool with that, then that's fine. Just wanted to note because DCL doesn't do solo supplements like some other lines do.

It would help if you specify what you are concerned about or would consider awkward.

Some people think travelling solo is per definition awkward.

Do you like you and do you like spending time with you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter