• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Soft Openings?

I think Disney will try to monetize any SW:GE preview. They did a paid preview party for the new Pixar Pier at Disneyland, an underwhelming land reskin, they can easily charge $300 per head and easily well out two weeks worth of soft openings.

I'll be there in 6 weeks, too! That's my problem, I keep getting details about this trip mixed up with details about next year's trip! We are definitely not going in 2020 because my DH and I are using our points to go to Aulani. I retire in June 2020, July 2020 is our 30th anniversary, and both of our kids will be out of college. We want to celebrate!!! If my kids can't see SWGE next year (which it looks like they won't), then they will have to wait a few more years. It's not a big deal to us really. I just thought if we could hit a soft opening, it would be a nice bonus. They will have some new things next year: Pandora, TSL, and HEA. The last time they went was 2016.

That's too funny! Looks like our Dec trip starts a day before yours and the dates we are considering for 2019 are also ~Oct 9-13 and Nov 27-Dec 1 or 2 and the last time we went as a whole family was 2016. Ha Ha!

In 2020 we will have a couple of big celebrations - 1 kid graduating HS and 1 graduating college. No Aulani or retirement for us though and we just celebrated our 25th Anniv. so you're a little ahead of us there! Ahhh...to be done with college tuition and retiring....sounds wonderful! Enjoy!

We were there the day Toy Story opened...didn’t expect to ride the “two” rides, but were able to walk through that early afternoon. Truly the studios in general weren’t that crowded except that one area... book when you can go..I need to read more info on why you want to book three studios instead of a 2 bedroom.

We are trying to decide our November/December trip, but we are retirees so doesn’t matter to us, when it opens, we’ll be back.
We have three value studios booked at AKV that I can walk if we decide to do Thanksgiving. But I need to decide soon. The idea of the studios is that if someone needs to cancel, we can easily cancel one of the studios and then rebook another trip with that part of our family. Also we don't need a kitchen or W/D at WDW (definitely do at HHI). And I love Jambo as opposed to Kidani. If I book a 2-BR, I DO NOT want to book the value 2-BR. I hate the master bath set-up, but we will probably need the sleeper chair. So three value studios are cheaper points-wise than a standard 2-BR. And if I wanted to spend the extra points on a standard 2-BR, I would feel like I would need to book Kidani for the three bathrooms, but with three value studios, I can stay at Jambo and get three bathrooms. I know the value studios will be close together. And the studios give us some privacy.

That's too funny! Looks like our Dec trip starts a day before yours and the dates we are considering for 2019 are also ~Oct 9-13 and Nov 27-Dec 1 or 2 and the last time we went as a whole family was 2016. Ha Ha!

In 2020 we will have a couple of big celebrations - 1 kid graduating HS and 1 graduating college. No Aulani or retirement for us though and we just celebrated our 25th Anniv. so you're a little ahead of us there! Ahhh...to be done with college tuition and retiring....sounds wonderful! Enjoy!
Actually, we are checking in on December 15. I think I messed up my countdown ticker!

Nobody knows yet when SWGE will open.
Will there be a soft opening for AP, DVC, etc like they did for Pandora? Nobody knows.
My daughter and wife lucked into going to a soft opening for DVC for Pandora and got to see everything before it officially opened.
I suspect they will do something similar with SWGE, but nobody knows the dates.

Now that we know when the opening is , does anyone thing we will see a dvc or ap soft opening ? We are there for 9 days a week before opening and really are hoping for one! We will be gone by 8/29.

Now that we know when the opening is , does anyone thing we will see a dvc or ap soft opening ? We are there for 9 days a week before opening and really are hoping for one! We will be gone by 8/29.

You won't see a free preview for ANYone. Expect any preview to be paid.

I don't recall seeing any Soft Openings for AP or DVC with TSL. i wouldn't expect to see anyhting different for SWGE.
I think you either will see EMH every morning for quite a while or a lot of EMM hard ticket events. My bet is on more EMM. If they keep the number of tickets sold low (like they do now), it could be worth it.

I don't recall seeing any Soft Openings for AP or DVC with TSL. i wouldn't expect to see anyhting different for SWGE.
I think you either will see EMH every morning for quite a while or a lot of EMM hard ticket events. My bet is on more EMM. If they keep the number of tickets sold low (like they do now), it could be worth it.

But after the initial rush, they did AP dedicated early morning magic, which were very poorly attended. I'd love if they do something like that, but given they weren't a success I don't have high hopes.

But after the initial rush, they did AP dedicated early morning magic, which were very poorly attended. I'd love if they do something like that, but given they weren't a success I don't have high hopes.
The Annual Pass event was very limited,we were lucky to get to go to it and the moonlight magic at DHS. I will tell you hands down the early morning annual pass holder event was 1000 times better than MM event. You were given 1 hour to ride the rides. We rode SDD 2 times, Alien Swirling Saucers and TSM in about 45 minutes. We went at 0800 and by 8:40 they did rope drop and let people into lines. So we lost 15 minutes of exclusive park time. During the MM we rode SDD once and the line was 50 minutes long. TSM line was 35 minutes. Rest of the park was empty Tower of Terror was walk on, rode that 3-4 times. The problem for the MM event was everyone was in Toy Story Land and it was more crowded for the event then before the event. The AP event was awesome, they gave you a Fast Pass for SDD so you were guaranteed to get on quickly.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter