Soarin through the dirt and fuzz

It's those darn brain-eating amoebas running loose in the projectors again!

At least, that's what it looked like the last time I rode it.

I was there last week and totally agree. They were not little specks. They were massive and totally distracting. To me there is no excuse; it has to be fixed whatever the reason is.

When I was on Soarin' last in June, it was very distracting. IMHO, this ride would benefit a lot from going digital. If they could refurb the Soarin' ride to randomize the ride experience, a la Star Tours, it would be absolutely amazing. I think back to the amazement of my first ride on Soarin' years ago, and I would love to experience the ride like that again.

From what I understand, though the process of filming (let alone projecting) something like Soarin' is extremely complex and expensive. It would be quite an undertaking to film randomized segments ... but so worth it.

I was there last week and totally agree. They were not little specks. They were massive and totally distracting. To me there is no excuse; it has to be fixed whatever the reason is.

This. ^^

I would understand if it was something that only I noticed for a moment, but these "specks" were like, a foot long on the screen. And everyone in our row was pointing and saying "look at that bug!" If it were something more random and not as obvious, I'd say let it ride. But it has become what people are fixated on during the ride.

First, it's an omnimax setup. Transitioning from that is a huge headache. While it wouldn't be necessary to reshoot, it would at the very least need to be remastered from the original film/11k DI. Soarin' does have a few unique traits in its film [48fps and being omnimax] that complicate matters. That said, IMAX has started to shift over to newer 4k digital projectors and imax 3d cameras, but I haven't seen any omnimax setups going that way yet [doesn't mean they haven't mind you :)].

Could you type that again, a little slower this time?

Rode it today and boy, you guys weren't kidding! I also noticed the floor was filthy and we rode it at 9:30AM.

We rode this about 7 times and each time we noticed it regardless of seat location. We were not looking for it, it was just there. I hope this ride gets a rehab/refurbishment very soon after all of the bugs in Test Track are worked out. Maybe I should buy Disney some canned air! :rotfl:

My husband was making jokes that it was out shadow because some of them were so big.

If the spots are caused by dirt and dust, it may just be a statement about the parks - or at least the Land Pavillion - in general.

I was lucky enough to get in two trips this year and noticed a lot of dust in places I had never noticed it before. In particular, the balloons and streamers above Sunshine Seasons were coated in dust on both trips. I was actually kind of shocked.

We thought the same last week. I gotta say, I would LOVE if this were re-done to something other than California! I know that is wishful thinking...

I just rode it yesterday and didn't notice a thing?? Or maybe I was just giddy because of the 10 minute wait time at 9:30am?? :)

I just rode it yesterday and didn't notice a thing?? Or maybe I was just giddy because of the 10 minute wait time at 9:30am?? :)
It may have to do with how high the fans or A/C is working and how many people have tracked in the dust over the course of the day.

My dh and I were just talking about this today! We thought it would be a (relatively) inexpensive thing to fix. But if it's really floating dust, then who knows. :confused3

I wouldn't call it an inexpensive fix. Disney has not converted to digital cinema yet, which is a very costly venture. I imagine they will very soon, but for now, they are apparently still using actual film which fades and burns the more it is run through the projector - and Soarin' is run through a lot. My family is in the movie business and it takes a serious chunk of change to convert projectors to digital, but at this time, it's a necessary evil (and the quality does improve as a result).

It may have to do with how high the fans or A/C is working and how many people have tracked in the dust over the course of the day.

Pretty sure the entire film path is a sealed system from the reels to the projection lamp.

I wouldn't call it an inexpensive fix. Disney has not converted to digital cinema yet, which is a very costly venture. I imagine they will very soon, but for now, they are apparently still using actual film which fades and burns the more it is run through the projector - and Soarin' is run through a lot. My family is in the movie business and it takes a serious chunk of change to convert projectors to digital, but at this time, it's a necessary evil (and the quality does improve as a result).

This comes up every time someone comments about the dirty film.

The reason why they haven't gone to digital is that digital omnimax is a lower quality, resolution wise, than film and just isn't ready for prime time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter