So, I'm a "cheap suit" kinda guy

I find it hugely interesting to read thru this and similar threads to see how different people interpret the concepts of 'formal' and 'semi-formal'. Not saying that there is a right and there is a wrong, just more of a 'hmmmm' reaction.

For me, PERSONALLY, formal = tux, semi formal = suit, cruise casual = khakis and a collared shirt (with or without a sweater or sport coat), and Friday casual = a nice pair of jeans and a sport coat.

My PERSONAL philosophy is that I prefer to be overdressed than underdressed.
If it's the latter, I feel self-conscious, and if it's the former, people will just assume that I have somewhere better to go to afterwards.

That being said, what works for me, doesn't work for everyone. However, I will echo the comments made by a number of other posters that it makes absolutely zero difference if you are wearing a custom made suit, or an off the rack sport coat and slacks from Sears or Goodwill - what matters is that you make the effort to get in the spirit of what is intended to be an upscale dining experience.

My philosophy too! Although Im probably a little too concerned with fashion sometimes. :lmao:

Always overdress. Especially at work, so when you show up in a suit it's normal and no one wonders where you are interviewing on your lunch break that day. Rolling into a restaurant in full tophat and tails is an amazing experience. We plan to do this at V&A's on next trip.

You are a more daring man than I - I just can't envision myself being able to pull off a tophat and tails.

Putting on my tuxedo and pretending for an evening that "I'm Bond, James Bond" is about as far as I'm willing to take it - although I do keep trying to find a reason to purchase a dinner jacket...

Ooo nice! I'll bet your pirate gear rocks!

I totally get it (being a part time mermaid.) Dressing up is a big part of the fun. A guy at work was like "why?" And I'm like dude. "Why not? And I can swim so much better..."

No matter what your look, most important is to commit to it 200%!! If not, people can tell..if you rock it, it just about always works. (Anyone seen the chainmail dress photo worn to the MDR that has circulated around cruise critic? Yikes! )

I've seen kilts, also. Or military dress uniforms.

DH usually wears a suit (jacket, dress shirt & tie) for formal nights, and dress shirt and tie (or jacket) for semi-formal. Same with both sons. And their suits were bought at JC Penney.

And we still have a Sears store in our mall.

Ooo! I would love to get my husband into a Kilt. Must book cruise!

Not sure if this falls into your 'cheap suit' category, but I got a designer tux for under $150 at Macys. They've got some awesome sales. As a younger guy, a white shirt and a black tie and bam, red carpet ready. :)

I have no need for a tux, but heck, its pretty awesome having one and finding and excuse to bust it out. :)

You could roll in all Ashton Kutcher like with un-linked french cuffs, dirty hair old sneakers and no jacket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter