So, I "won" a test cruise and figured I'd share the experience

thanks for the report. as of this typing I see no other ships requiring proof of vaccine except Norwegian, so I guess I will look for a cruise on there.

Woke up Thursday morning and the ship was docked at Castaway Cay on time but since there were so few people, we were in no big rush. Outside on our balcony, enjoying my coffee, I saw 5 different ships within site and could make out at least two...the Brilliance and an Oasis Class heading straight for the island.

Wait, was there another ship in port today? Did the Oasis already have their test sailing? Was it on a test sailing too?

IMG-5070.jpg

IMG-5072.jpg

I went from, we can take our time to....hurry up and get me a beach chair on chill island, LOL

As it turns out, Oasis pulled up to the dock then pulled away so it must have just been practicing some maneuvers.

Got off the boat, snapped a few pics and made out way to Chill Island and much to our surprise, the floating bar had moved there from South Beach and we saw our favorite bartender from the Bamboo Room. Funny story, that day was his first time off the Mariner since June. He was looking forward to standing on land again and gets stuck working the floating bar LOL
IMG-5074.jpg

IMG-5077.jpg

IMG-5078.jpg

IMG-5075.jpg

After a drink on the floating bar, made our way to the Oasis Lagoon for a drink, then took advantage of the Thrill Waterpark and absolutely no lines whatsoever. Did each waterslide in each tower at least twice.
G0020096.jpg

G0030099.jpg

Overall, crew morale was outstanding. Guest happiness was pretty good too.

Yes, we ran into a couple of people who had to be difficult but for the most part, everyone seemed to have a good time. Mask usage was pretty regular when required and in vaccinated areas when they could be removed, some people even kept them on.

Distancing was not really enforced and people were free to pretty much move wherever.

On day 2 we chose our preferred disembarkation time and were assigned a group close to that time..we chose 9:30 and were assigned group 14 of 16 with an anticipated time of departure of 9:15 and were were called on the TV by about 9am. Walked down, didnt even stop at customs and made our way to the car and headed over to Universal for a short stay there.

IMG-7335.jpg

C7-CD5584-A75-A-4-F2-E-B894-017488-CE483-C.jpg

IMG-7337.jpg

I would love to be in a ghost town on a ship. This looks so quiet and pretty amazing.

I hope you had a great time. :)

As someone who wasn't choosen for these test cruises but has been following along, it seems everyone gets a standard balcony. No suites but no inside/oceanview either.
The owner of a RC blog/forum reported he was assigned a Suite on a test cruise. Can't remember if that was one of the original test cruises or this batch of test cruises that was more of a sweepstakes type thing.

The owner of a RC blog/forum reported he was assigned a Suite on a test cruise. Can't remember if that was one of the original test cruises or this batch of test cruises that was more of a sweepstakes type thing.
Ooh...thanks for the reminder on this.
I checked the deck plans before we left and noticed cabin 7544 was a Junior Suite and right down the hall from us so I wanted to see if it was occupied and it was. I didnt check other decks but at least on deck 7 they did assign at least one suite. I think I read somewhere that they would not assign any category below an ocean view stateroom but categories "above" would be assigned.

If you're sailing Royal, I would definitely not count on vaccinations being mandatory
I am, here is what they have done to avoid legal stuff. If you are not vaccinated, you can't go to certain parts of ship. you can only eat in room , outside or in certain dinning room. You must purchase health insurance to travel ( at about 500 bucks a person, and you must have a passport. and you must wear your mask at all times unless in room or eating. IMHO that pretty much does away with unvaccinated folks , LOL>

I really enjoyed this trip report! Lucky you!

Vaccinated, and just off 4 night DCL Dream. So, happy to be sailing again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter