So, I think I've been "Disney Shamed"...

TresGriffin

Mouseketeer
So, last night out of the clear blue, someone I know basically "Disney Shamed" me. Like, it was that "(As a single adult with no kids) Why go to Disney when you can go so many other places?" conversation. I basically told him, "You know, I like it. If it's not for you, that's fine."

I must say I was annoyed by it. This is someone I'm good friends with, so I know he didn't really mean any harm, but why can't people just respect the fact that we all have different tastes in things?

Has anyone ever encountered this? How did you deal with it?

Yup, often. When we're traveling as a family we occasionally get snide little comments about going once again to Disney but most understand but when I tell people I'm going solo most seem genuinely surprised before I get the obligatory "Well good for You". Like you said to each their own. Most times it doesn't bother me but once in a while it gets a bit annoying.

As for how to deal with it you seem to already have it figured out. We all do have different tastes and you're better off in the long run just letting it slide.

Have fun no matter where you go or what you do!

I went to WDW 2 years in a row with my DH and kids, and my cousin’s friend said upon meeting me “oh, you’re the crazy Disney people!” Clearly my love of Disney bothered my cousin enough that it was a conversation topic with strangers. I’m sure if I went by myself it would bother her even more.

I just shrug it off and know that it has more to do with the other person than it does with me. Why would someone else even care where I go on vacation, or bother to form a judgmental opinion, unless it was due to jealousy or insecurity? I am too blessed to stress over someone else’s petty thoughts about my vacation destination choice.

Yep! When I had a kid do 2 DCP within a year I had an AP-and hopped on a plane everytime airfare was low (Hello! $39 flights on Frontier!). It's kind of a running joke now-but guess who gets called/emailed/pm'd when they plan a Disney or Universal trip??

So, last night out of the clear blue, someone I know basically "Disney Shamed" me. Like, it was that "(As a single adult with no kids) Why go to Disney when you can go so many other places?" conversation. I basically told him, "You know, I like it. If it's not for you, that's fine."

I must say I was annoyed by it. This is someone I'm good friends with, so I know he didn't really mean any harm, but why can't people just respect the fact that we all have different tastes in things?

Yeah, some just don't get there are good reasons to go as a solo adult, and really, Disney has marketed to adults for more than 20 years now, with Food & Wine and all, but people still think Disney is for people with kids only. Wonder what they will think of all the Star Wars fans descending on Disney next month.

Yeah it happens to all of us who go frequently. But around here people go to the ocean a lot for summer vacations, often to the exact same places year after year. They don't see the irony.

I'm not a sit around on the beach person. Disney is an active vacation and I enjoy the warmer weather much of the year. I agree a lot of people don't know about all the fun things for adults at Disney World.

All the time. Our friends don't get why we're wouldn't rather be on a beach all day sipping Corona. They don't understand why my DH is looking forward to building a droid and why I'm already saving for flower and garden merch next year. I think the universal thought is when will you have a 'grown up' holiday. As someone who has been ripped off in Turkey, frozen in a tent in lydney and hit by a moped in Rome (the driver of which drove off without saying sorry) I'm sorry if I now demand the 'Disney feels'! Once I hear the music and I've got an overpriced Mexico avocado margarita in my greasy mitts I am home.

All the time. Our friends don't get why we're wouldn't rather be on a beach all day sipping Corona. They don't understand why my DH is looking forward to building a droid and why I'm already saving for flower and garden merch next year. I think the universal thought is when will you have a 'grown up' holiday. As someone who has been ripped off in Turkey, frozen in a tent in lydney and hit by a moped in Rome (the driver of which drove off without saying sorry) I'm sorry if I now demand the 'Disney feels'! Once I hear the music and I've got an overpriced Mexico avocado margarita in my greasy mitts I am home.

I feel ya on that AvoRita, as I call it!

The same people who make those comments likely have some other vacation spot they keep returning to, whether it's a beach, forest, an annual event of some type, etc. There is no "shame" in returning to a vacation destination that you enjoy. These people are not paying for your vacations, so does it really matter what they think of your choice of destination? I think not.

my boss and coworker make comments all the time. i know it shouldn't, but sometimes it does make me feel bad. no one in my family wants to go, and neither do my friends, so i've been doing a lot of solo trips recently. i think my boss is just jealous because he's stuck at the same restaurant basically every day of the week (except sundays) from 11 am - 11 pm. and my coworker is just a jerk...

like others have said, people don't realize how much disney has to offer adults. if it makes us happy, then screw what others think. it's not like we're hurting anyone by going to disney lol

Until now we've only gone a few times and with our kids, so no one has said anything. But DH and I have our first adults only trip planned in the fall. So far only my family knows, so I've gotten raised eyebrows but no comments. When I go back to work (teacher), I haven't decided how I'm going to handle it yet. On the one hand I don't want to deliberately not tell people, but on the other hand I'm sure someone will say something and I don't want to deal with it. It shouldn't bother me, but it will.

When my husband told a friend I was going solo, the friend's first response was "Whaaaaaaat???"
Then he said "Does she realize how many other places she could go?"
At first thought I was annoyed - angry almost. But then I told my husband to tell his friend I said "What a silly question. Of course I realize how many other places I could go." :p

my boss and coworker make comments all the time. i know it shouldn't, but sometimes it does make me feel bad. no one in my family wants to go, and neither do my friends, so i've been doing a lot of solo trips recently. i think my boss is just jealous because he's stuck at the same restaurant basically every day of the week (except sundays) from 11 am - 11 pm. and my coworker is just a jerk...

like others have said, people don't realize how much disney has to offer adults. if it makes us happy, then screw what others think. it's not like we're hurting anyone by going to disney lol

Co-workers are the hardest for me because I really don't want the people granting me the time off to be judging what I'm doing with it. So I relate with feeling bad even though it shouldn't.

I've stopped and thought several times about maybe instead of Disney for the x time this year and I've mapped out travel plans but regardless Disney will always be a staple for me and I will not be made to feel guilty about it 😊

"Oh, I'll be on vacation next week."
"Where are you going?"
"I've got family in California." (true, but I have no intention of seeing them this time!)

"Where are you going?"
"Florida."
"Are you going to Walt Disney World?"
"We're going to see Kennedy Space Center! I've always wanted to go there." (true, but that's one day there and six days at WDW)

It's not hard, people.

"Where are you going?"
"I've got family in California." (true, but I have no intention of seeing them this time!)

"Where are you going?"
"Florida."
"Are you going to Walt Disney World?"
"We're going to see Kennedy Space Center! I've always wanted to go there." (true, but that's one day there and six days at WDW)

It's not hard, people.
Well I don’t have any friends or relatives, but I stress that I will be doing some volunteering, not because I feel the need to share when and if I volunteer, but just to avoid the questioning look when I say I’m going to Disney again. Of course their first question is with who. They are usually shocked when I say myself. I really got crazy looks when I was asked by when I’m going to Disney again and replied August!

I get it all the time. We purchased AP last year and went Sept, Dec, This April and just got back last week. I hear things like "again?" and "it must be nice" which I reply "yes it is" and THAT seems to really piss people off lol. The worse one though is my brother. He gives me grief every time we go.

The same people who make those comments likely have some other vacation spot they keep returning to, whether it's a beach, forest, an annual event of some type, etc. There is no "shame" in returning to a vacation destination that you enjoy. These people are not paying for your vacations, so does it really matter what they think of your choice of destination? I think not.

The funny thing in my area is most people choose either Myrtle Beach, SC(huge tourist trap....doesn't feel lived in at all) or Dollywood/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg(which Dollywood basically is like Hoop De Doo all the time). Hardly any variations, though some will go to Carowinds instead. At least with Disney, you have beaches no more than a two hour drive away, you have the KSC, and if you want history, St. Augustine is right up the road.

Yeah mostly from my family especially my dad and brother but they're grumpy men who do nothing but drink. My boyfriend has accepted it as long as I include other trips. My oldest sister bought into DVC this year so it's not that weird for us, and I like how I can see her more often now. If my coworkers judge me then I don't care, my idea of fun is very different than theirs so whatever floats their boat, doesn't matter to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!