So... how many years of Fort Wilderness and describe first trip

Its our retirement trip, postponed a year due to the virus.
My retirement trip was scheduled for the end of Nov 2020, and I am sooo hoping that it will happen same time, this year. I’d be there for a month, too, if I had someone else to share the fun, but I will be more than satisfied if I can get 2 was with DD, particularly if our grandsons can be there for part of it. Have always wanted to stay at FWC, but we aren’t campers and can’t quite swing a cabin for only 2 of us. I get a vicarious look at FWC on the DIS!

Our first trip to the fort was in 2000. We had a total of 6 people, and my mom wanted all of us together (deluxe was out of the question) and the Fort wilderness cabins were just the thing. I remember my mom being thrilled that we had daily maid service! This was long before the re-do and the grandparents slept on the pull out couch.

First trip (to FW) was May 2001 in a tent in the 1500 loop. Was a park marathoner back then with a Disney and Universal AP along with a Sea World fun pass. Meant to get to River Country for the first time, but didn't get around to it. Still kicking myself for that call. I've always been a late nighter and the pool was open 24 hours back then so would go hang there late at night along with a cooler and a few beers and do late night swims and listen to my discman. Partials were $29 a night and they were giving 20% AAA discounts so it was just over $25 with tax.

Great reports, appreciate and love enjoying & laughing with this group even tho’ I have never camped at FT W and got lost driving around during holidays last year.
Well I did camp with Girl Scouts... boy talk about mean girls. Our “camp leader guide mom of fellow camper“ disappeared and was found crying . I think she was probably on verge of nervous breakdown.
I do remeber camping out in my best friend’s (the mean one but also was most popular) back yard... And another neighbor friends father putting a tent on the back porch for us to camp out ... still remeber listening to the sound of the rainfall on tent during the night.
Good times And best of times growing up in 50s 60s 70s...

Last edited:

June1982 - in a tent. DH, DS7, and myself- Magic Kingdom and Downtown Disney. We did not make it back till June 1988, but have been back 8 more times to Ft Wilderness plus many other Disney Hotels. We have visited the fort for a few hours on several other Disney visits.

My first trip , so far my only, was 2.5 years ago. And was made so much nicer and easier from tips from this very board. I got to do everything i wanted. Plus some. Going again in November. You guys and gals rock!

giphy.gif

My parents, sister, brother and I first stayed at the Fort in January of 1972 in a small 16 foot trailer.

Everything at the Fort was brand new. Only park was MK. Used tickets for the rides, A,B,C,D, and E. When we kids ran out of ride tickets we rode the monorail for an hour or so.

No River Country then but we did have a train! There were parking lot trams instead of buses. I don’t remember which loop we were in but the Fort seemed smaller then to me as compared to now. So warm that we swam in Bay lake in jeans and T-shirts since we didn’t think to bring swimsuits in January.

Needless to say, we were totally hooked! 🤣

I am so late to the game. The first time I ever visited WDW was in 2014 when I was in my late 30s.
We didn't purchase a camper until 2018, so our first and only trip to the Fort was July of 2019. It was everyone's favorite WDW trip. My husband is a theme park junkie, and I am a campground junkie. We all had our traveling requirements met on that trip.
Also, we stayed ten nights. We didn't want to leave.
On our first day, we hung out at the Fort, visited the main swimming pool, and the kids played on the playground while dh and I sat in chairs at Crockett's Tavern.
We also ate breakfast at the Trail's End.

We had two down days. We went to Disney Springs for part of one, and played at the Fort (and did laundry) for the other. On our departure day, we took a boat to the Contemporary for a farewell breakfast at Chef Mickey's.

December, 1980 drove from WI and pitched a tent. Water at River "Country was freezing but we wanted the full experience! We'd been back almost year since in nine different (increasingly larger) RV's till we retired and moved to FL in 2012, where we've been living in a 45 ft motorhome. We still love FW - in fact, even though we only live 30 minutes away, we have reservations there for 4 nites starting next Sunday 😁

I'll make all you 'youngsters' feel good. :) We first camped at FW in 1972 with our son just a toddler - DD stayed with my Mom. She was 4 and hated to travel (still does). He loved the train going through, and we loved River Country that opened a few years later. If I remember, we paid about $15 for camping the first time. The campground was also smaller then. Had to show 'passes' to use transportation. Train was $.50 :)

NoM thanks for awakening my memories. While it took me till 1988 to get to The Fort I too remember having to show our resort ID's to get on the internal tram and/or bus

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter