So how do you deal with the flight length? (also we are travelng w/ kids)

oceanmarina

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Aulani is on my bucket list, the main thing that is stopping me is the length of the flight. We are from NY so it would be 11 hours for us. We would be traveling with our kids ages 11 & 9, it just seems a lloonngg flight time. I was wondering how the flight is, does it seem like a never-ending flight or does it pass sort of quickly?

The longest flight we have taken with our kids is 3 hours, and by the end of the flight, they are starting to get restless, so i'm a little intimidated by the thought of such a long flight with them. (Of course I load their devices with new videos, bring sticker books, markers etc. to keep them occupied, they each have their own device but i'm worried that if they are ready to land by 3 hours how would they deal with such a longer flight?

Thanks for any feedback/advice, Marina :cutie:

Set the expectation for a long flight, especially with their ages. I think just knowing that it will be long is the biggest factor to reducing stress and restlessness. In addition to the activities you mentioned, I suggest a few things:
1) Eat on board - takes up time, breaks up the trip
2) Stay hydrated - the long flights we have been on generally have water often, if not, just go back to the galley and request some (we also bring filled water bottles, but those only last so long)
3) Take screen breaks - when we make ours take breaks from their tablets, they may accidently fall asleep or at the very least change up the activitiy
4) Bring snacks with you - we travel with a small soft sided cooler and fill it with snacks (tip: string cheese freezes and thaws well and will stay cold for the first few hours of your trip)
5) Get up and walk around
6) In selecting activities, a few they can do together also helps break it up (card games or travel-size board games)

Also, I prefer non-stop flights whenever possible, but if you think your family would benefit from a break, then you could look at getting to LAX or SEA or PDX, having a couple hour layover, and then continuing on. You could even stay overnight and make the second leg the next day.

Hi all,

Aulani is on my bucket list, the main thing that is stopping me is the length of the flight. We are from NY so it would be 11 hours for us. We would be traveling with our kids ages 11 & 9, it just seems a lloonngg flight time. I was wondering how the flight is, does it seem like a never-ending flight or does it pass sort of quickly?

The longest flight we have taken with our kids is 3 hours, and by the end of the flight, they are starting to get restless, so i'm a little intimidated by the thought of such a long flight with them. (Of course I load their devices with new videos, bring sticker books, markers etc. to keep them occupied, they each have their own device but i'm worried that if they are ready to land by 3 hours how would they deal with such a longer flight?

My wife and I have done the Hawaiian Airlines direct flight from JFK 3 times. (Now, we haven't done it with children yet so you can take my advice with a grain of salt if you'd like lol). It's long. No sugarcoating it. BUT it's doable. Here would be my advice:

- Prepare yourselves for it. Pack plenty of snacks. We even brought PB&J's for ourselves the 2nd time around. The last thing you want on a flight that length is to get "hangry". This was a mistake we made on our 1st trip. Lesson learned. Bring neck pillows, blankets, whatever you think may help comfort-wise for you and kids. I never used neck pillows...until this flight and it was a must.

- Consider the extra comfort seats. We've done them each time. Now in fairness, because we've done them each time, I have nothing to compare them to re: standard seats. We've never regretted spending that little bit extra for them though. We did row 34 each time though which wouldn't work for you guys unless you split up 2 & 2. Only the outer seats on each side in row 34 are extra comfort. The benefit being that on the outer parts there is no row 33 b/c of the exit door. So you get 6-8' of legroom. Take a look at some of the other extra comfort seats though if you're interested, you'll definitely find something that works for you.

- Take the time to sit down and eat a good, filling breakfast at JFK before the flight. This goes back to the "hangry" point lol

- Hydrate, hydrate, HYDRATE! I know this is true for every flight, but especially one this long. I really can't stress this enough. Hydrate as much a possible and then some before, during and after your flight!

- Dress comfortably. Very comfortably. You don't wanna be stuck in something uncomfortable for almost 11 hours.

- Take advantage of the entertainment on the flight. A few movies, some TV episodes, mix in a nap and you're there!... it's that simple, right? LOL

- The flight to Hawaii is always better (in our experience at least) than the flight home. 1) the obvious reason of going to/leaving Hawaii lol 2) The timing. The flight there leaves at 10am (usually). It's like a normal day. You wake up, you eat breakfast, you stay up for the day. Not bad! The flight home is a little weird timing-wise. You leave Hawaii around 4pm, next thing you know it's pitch black as you're flying into the darkness. No big deal, just throws you off a little. Then you land in NY around 6-7am. Where the heck did the day before go!?!?! It's not terrible, just a little weird for the old body clock.

- When you arrive in Hawaii (around 2pm), force yourselves to stay awake until at least 8-9pm. Try to normalize your body clock asap. We made the mistake on our 1st trip of going to sleep at like 6pm that 1st night. Bad idea. We spent the next 5 days waking up at 2am and being completely off time-wise. The next couple of times when we forced ourselves to stay up, the adjustment was MUCH smoother. Same thing when you get home, try staying awake for the day if you can.

It's really not a bad flight at all. It's long, no 2 ways around that, but just because it's long doesn't mean it's awful. Hawaiian Airlines has been a pleasure each time and they do a wonderful job of making you feel like you're "in Hawaii" from the time you step on the plane. The planes have always been very nice and we can't say enough good things about the staff! Now with all of this said, everyone is different. I know people who say there's no way they could ever do this flight (or any flight of similar length) direct. Maybe that would change if they actually tried it, I don't know. For us though, it is well worth it for beautiful Hawaii! We don't even think twice about it anymore. You just kinda accept the flight for what it is and make the best of it. It's all worth it once you get to paradise!

* 1 extra little tip for Hawaiian Airlines... if you do plan on going, apply for the Hawaiian Airlines Mastercard before you go! We did this between our 1st and 2nd trips and received 50% off 1 person's airfare for our next trip plus miles to use in the future. *

1 other thing I should add... with a flight of this length, make sure you plan on going for a good amount of time! You don't want to be turning around and flying home that long again just as you're adjusting. We've gone for 21 nights (our honeymoon), 14 nights and 16 nights (added a night on either side for travel, found this to be a nice happy medium for us...although I wouldn't hesitate to do 21 again lol). It makes the flights and the anticipation of those flights a lot easier if you've got plenty of time to settle in and enjoy in between them.

Hi all,

I have never taken a flight that long, but I am also traveling to Aulani for the first time real soon. We also don't travel with kids.

Have you thought about possibly breaking up your flight? You can fly to LA and visit Disneyland for a couple days. Then you can fly to Hawaii. That is what we are doing on our upcoming trip. This advice that I have seen often has been helpful for us, because people said it helps you adjust to the time change easier. You could also break up your flight on the way back? I don't know what the extra cost would be like, but if you are worried about how your kids will handle a longer flight, maybe breaking up your trip could be a good choice.

Our flight time from Texas to Oahu was suppose to be 10ish hours. To break it up on our way there we flew to LA had a 10 hour overnight layover to sleep and then flew the last 6ish hours out. Coming back we did an overnight flight so most of us would be tired enough to sleep.

My kids are 12 and 14 so a tad older but we just reminded them it would be a long flight. They each had a book, music/movies on their phones, and a video game system (actually they each had a DS and switch). We bought them pillows and they had a blanket. We bought them drinks/snacks for the flight as well. The flights to Hawaii also had screens with movies, shows, games downloaded. On the way back no screens so they had to use their own entertainment. I also brought Dramamine just in case anyone had issues since it was our first long flight.

I actually prefer the longer Delta flights. I'm not sure about other airlines, but Delta has seat back entertainment (movies, games) for free and they now offer free food on the longer flights. The longer flights also have bigger planes, so taking a little stroll is totally doable. I think of it this way: can my kid sit all day long and watch nothing but movies and play video games? So a long flight should be not much different. For a young child, space isn't really an issue, all the seats are plenty big enough and offer them plenty of leg room and room to move around.

That said, we just flew ATL to HNL in first class on the lie down seats. It was like sitting in a recliner for 10 hours. OMG, I don't think I'm ever going to be able to do it any other way (but, of course, I will have to)

All good tips above. I just wanted to add HA seemed to have extra comfort seat scattered throughout the cabin. Not just right behind first class. Like delta or AA. On the way back we where in row 30 last row of one section in front of restrooms. And the section right behind the restrooms were two rows of extra comfort seats. One set was bulkhead and to the left there was an exit door that row had tons of legroom. But no tv screens. So maybe book two seat for adults with extra leg room and the two right behind for the kiddos with the screens. Although in HA it's not free and my kiddo enjoyed the iPad instead. I flew regular and I can say I did not feel cramped at all. It was 6 hours from Kona to HNL and we had 3 lay overs. I would have preferred a 11 hour flight versus the 24 hours it took us to get home. I think That on long flights there is just a point where you get over the anxiety on the time left to go and you just get over it.

All good tips above. I just wanted to add HA seemed to have extra comfort seat scattered throughout the cabin. Not just right behind first class. Like delta or AA. On the way back we where in row 30 last row of one section in front of restrooms. And the section right behind the restrooms were two rows of extra comfort seats. One set was bulkhead and to the left there was an exit door that row had tons of legroom. But no tv screens. So maybe book two seat for adults with extra leg room and the two right behind for the kiddos with the screens. Although in HA it's not free and my kiddo enjoyed the iPad instead. I flew regular and I can say I did not feel cramped at all. It was 6 hours from Kona to HNL and we had 3 lay overs. I would have preferred a 11 hour flight versus the 24 hours it took us to get home. I think That on long flights there is just a point where you get over the anxiety on the time left to go and you just get over it.

This is row 34 and there are TV screens, they just come up out of the arm rests because there's no seatback in front of them for it.

and they now offer free food on the longer flights
Like all other insanely frustrating flight features, this is not necessarily true either. We had a 6hr Delta flight on a nice big A310 and got nothing but nuts/pretzels the entire way. I always bring food just in case. Even if they are supposed to have food, catering carts get short stocked/not delivered or rough weather can cause them to not serve it. Better safe than hangry for me

There is some great advice in this thread.

My main source of entertainment on long flights is my tablet. I use it for:

1. Watching in flight movies.
2. Listening to podcasts; Disunplugged and more.
3. Reading books. The Kindle app has some classic for free on it.
4. Listening to audio books. Some apps have free books to listen to.
5. Playing games; Sudoko, crossword puzzles, etc.
6. Watching Netflix movies; which they now allow for downloading movies ahead of time and watching offline.

Don't forget to bring an external battery, so you don't run out of power.

Hi all,

We went to Aulani two years ago with our kids (6/4 at the time). Also came from the east coast. We ended up splitting our flights by stopping in SF to see family on the way out. This also allowed easier adjustment to the time difference. On the way back we flew to LAX and spent a couple of days at Disneyland. Not only did it break up the flight it helped with the downer of leaving Aulani.

Delta IS providing meal service on direct flights to Honolulu from Atlanta, JFK, and I believe Minneapolis. Your flight information will indicate if meal service is included, and you will have the option to order special meals if needed. (Child, vegetarian, etc).
http://news.delta.com/complimentary-meals-alcohol-be-offered-honolulu-flights

We flew ATL-HNL direct in May. We were very pleased with the meal service options. We got a full meal a couple hours into the flight, and a snack (pizza) shortly before landing. We ordered a child's meal for our 5 year old, and he got a special snack just for him too.

Everyone's advice above for keeping occupied for the long flight is spot-on. Our flight was around 10 hours, I think. And yes, it was long! But really, it wasn't horrible. I mean, the flight pretty much consisted of three movies, a nap, and eating some food.....
the in seat entertainment is free, and a huge help. (I can watch a movie and ipad or read at the same time!). After lunch, we did take the iPad away from our son and made him do some low-tech stuff for awhile.... and yes, we then gave him Dramamine to help him get drowsy for a nap.

We've done Hawaii four times. I can't sleep on flights overnight (which is interesting, because I do nap on them during the day!), and we have discovered that getting a hotel on the west coast overnight on the way back is the best option for us.

We're also from NY (upstate) and flew Delta through Atlanta both going and coming home. Delta began providing meal service and free alcohol to all fare classes on the long haul flight out of Atlanta in September 2016. The plane was an Airbus 330 with 2-4-2 seat configuration which was great. There were hundreds of movies and TV shows. DH and I each watch 2 movies, read a little, dozed off a little, and then we were there. From Atlanta, I think it was closer to 8 hours in the air which wasn't terrible.

The flight home was worse because it was difficult to sleep - we left Hawaii at 4:30pm local time to fly to Atlanta, so we weren't tired until we were nearing the end of our Atlanta flight so we didn't sleep much, if at all. When we got to Atlanta, it was close to 6am local time and we had a two hour layover before flying home, so we were pretty exhausted. All worth it though!

The flight home was worse because it was difficult to sleep - we left Hawaii at 4:30pm local time to fly to Atlanta, so we weren't tired until we were nearing the end of our Atlanta flight so we didn't sleep much, if at all. When we got to Atlanta, it was close to 6am local time and we had a two hour layover before flying home, so we were pretty exhausted. All worth it though!
This is why I chose a 7 am flight coming home. I knew getting up that early we could probably nap on the flight and by the time we landed (11:30 pm), it'd only be 7:30 pm on our body clocks (since we'd fully adjusted in two weeks). Since we had a 1.5 hour drive from the airport, I wanted DH (who can't sleep on a plane) to be rested. Plus there was the added bonus that i couldn't see what I was leaving behind!!

Delta IS providing meal service on direct flights to Honolulu from Atlanta, JFK, and I believe Minneapolis. Your flight information will indicate if meal service is included, and you will have the option to order special meals if needed. (Child, vegetarian, etc).
http://news.delta.com/complimentary-meals-alcohol-be-offered-honolulu-flights

We flew ATL-HNL direct in May. We were very pleased with the meal service options. We got a full meal a couple hours into the flight, and a snack (pizza) shortly before landing. We ordered a child's meal for our 5 year old, and he got a special snack just for him too.

Everyone's advice above for keeping occupied for the long flight is spot-on. Our flight was around 10 hours, I think. And yes, it was long! But really, it wasn't horrible. I mean, the flight pretty much consisted of three movies, a nap, and eating some food.....
the in seat entertainment is free, and a huge help. (I can watch a movie and ipad or read at the same time!). After lunch, we did take the iPad away from our son and made him do some low-tech stuff for awhile.... and yes, we then gave him Dramamine to help him get drowsy for a nap.

We've done Hawaii four times. I can't sleep on flights overnight (which is interesting, because I do nap on them during the day!), and we have discovered that getting a hotel on the west coast overnight on the way back is the best option for us.

Glad to hear they are offering meal service, I thought it was a nice touch that they had a special kids meal for your little guy.

You make it sound completely doable - 3 movies, eat a little, sleep a little! Gives me hope that it wouldn't be that bad.

For my son (12) and other kids I've interacted with, how we prepared them for things made the biggest difference. Be honest about the length, have them help pick out things to do, and keep an upbeat attitude about it. Don't forget to have them get up and walk up and down the plane a couple times.

Having them excited about the destination is also a plus. That can make the journey more bearable. We don't tell my son when we're going, only that we'll be going Hawaii or Disney. That way he won't get overly excited before hand. We pack in secret.

We flew Hawaiian Airlines direct from JFK last fall. We booked the Extra Comfort seats and they were wonderful. No we don't have any children but there were lots of children from infants to teens on both flights. On teh way home one mother had her girls change into PJs for the trip home to encourage them to sleep! The food was good. Going out they sell premium drinks and snacks soon after take off. Soon after that they serve 'lunch' which is a hot meal with water and other drinks. There are drinks and snacks available throughout the flight (paid as well as free). About an hour before you land they serve a 'snack meal' consisting of fresh fruit, cheese and crackers and drinks. They sell nice earphones for $4 which come in a case! We were in bulkhead seats and they have a screen and tray table in the armrest. With extra comfort seats you get a pillow and blanket as well. There are charging ports in teh armrests as well in teh extra comfort seats. We did bring water and some snacks that we bought in the airport. The crew were wonderful throughout the flight. We felt that there was enough food. We also went to bed about 7:20 PM (HST) (1:30 AM EDT) the first night and were awake by 4:00 AM! The first week we were on NCL's Pride of America for a 7 day cruise and then spent 8 days at Aulani so by the time we were at Aulani we were somewhat adjusted to the time difference. I prefer flying direct to stopping with a layover or change of planes. We got up frequently to use the restrooms or just stand and stretch. I was impressed by the headroom! That being said it is a very large plane so they begin boarding 45-50 minutes before the schedule departure. I can strongly recommend HA for the service and trip overall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter