Snow?

Mickey'sApprentice

Shamelessly demand, it works bette
Well, we were at wdw in January and December 2010 and both times...it was COLD.

We are headed back in January 2012. My question is...does it ever really snow at Disney??

Well, on Main Street in December and late November. And in Disney Hollywood Studios in late November and December. ;)

But I couldn't find any reports of snow in Orlando recorded. Sometimes a little freezing rain, but that would be it. jacksonville, Pensacola, yes.

Thanks! It would be interesting to see.

Either way, I'll bring my winter clothes. I wonder how well Disney would cope with a snow event.

One inch of snow pretty much brings Alabama to a halt.

I was in WDW in mid January this year, and the weather was beautiful, In fact I had to buy myself a short sleeve shirt because I had not packed enough of my own.
My sister I were in WDW in January 2009 and it was freezing, I guess it's a hit or miss.

Definition of a dusting of snow in central Florida:

1. One flake per acre with TOG (time on ground) less than duration of a yellow light at a red light camera intersection.

2. Light flurries above 10,000 feet.

Central Florida's coldest weather is generally north west of Orlando. Nothing like a good concrete heat sink to blunt cold air out of the northwest.

Definition of a dusting of snow in central Florida:

1. One flake per acre with TOG (time on ground) less than duration of a yellow light at a red light camera intersection.

2. Light flurries above 10,000 feet.

Central Florida's coldest weather is generally north west of Orlando. Nothing like a good concrete heat sink to blunt cold air out of the northwest.

Definition of "real snow" in Minnesota.

After it is done snowing, can you see the tops of the grass sticking out? - it isn't real snow. Does it melt after a day or two? Not real snow. Did you have to shovel it or did you just ignore it? - Not real snow.

After it is done snowing, can you see the tops of the grass sticking out? - it isn't real snow. Does it melt after a day or two? Not real snow. Did you have to shovel it or did you just ignore it? - Not real snow.

Definition of real snow in Louisiana.

Did they cancel school? Real snow.

Definition of real snow in Louisiana.

Did they cancel school? Real snow.

Which, if Louisiana is like some Southern States, happens about the time the weatherman says a flake MIGHT hit the ground.

I grew up in Louisville. Without snowplows and people used to driving in the stuff, a dusting can - and should - send school kids home. But I remember my mother being very confused (the family is originally from Minnesota) when we were kept home because it MIGHT snow.

Which, if Louisiana is like some Southern States, happens about the time the weatherman says a flake MIGHT hit the ground.

I grew up in Louisville. Without snowplows and people used to driving in the stuff, a dusting can - and should - send school kids home. But I remember my mother being very confused (the family is originally from Minnesota) when we were kept home because it MIGHT snow.

Oh, yeah. Very true. In Illinois, school was cancelled if we got 20" of snow.

In first 2 1/2 weeks of January 2010 there were a couple days at WDW where there were some brief snow flurries, mixed with rain, in the morning withno accumulation. Though I do not think they set any single day record low during that time, it did have the longest string of consecutive days where the daily low went below freezing, usually into the 20s. In the same period in January 2011 the weather was mostly in the lower to mid 70s for highs with lows in the 50s and sometimes upper 40s.

:ssst: No more snow talk! We're leaving in ~23 days, and the weather in FL REALLY needs to be warmer than the weather in OH! :rotfl: Send good vibes our way for nice avg temps! :thumbsup2

Thanks! It would be interesting to see.

Either way, I'll bring my winter clothes. I wonder how well Disney would cope with a snow event.

One inch of snow pretty much brings Alabama to a halt.

:wave2:Hi, Mickey'sApprentice. I think it's a really good idea to bring winter clothes, including a hat and gloves. I remember one year-although it didn't snow, it was freezing! There were lots of little signs around where flowers used to be about Jack Frost having paid a visit and please forgive us while we replant. I went to AK one day and lots of animals weren't out in the morning. People were buying up all the hats and gloves (at premium prices, high even for WDW) and the stores ran out of hats and gloves, leaving lots of COLD tourists!

OMG, please don't say 'snow'. I want one week, just one week of no snow. Sweaters I'm fine with. I refuse to bring my winter jacket. This year was the first time we went in January, but it was very nice, not hot and definitely no cold. Hoping for the same thing year.

Late Dec weather can be really tricky in central Florida. One year I wore a tank top, long sleeved tee, velour sweater and my winter jacket with my Micky santa hat on Christmas Eve and my bathing suit at the pool (85 degree weather) a few days later. Just be prepared for everything. The worst year was when it was cold and rainy. Only one of us (my DGD age 20 at the time) brought rain boots and was the only one to have nice warm comfy dry feet. I was second with my socks and crocs (the kind without holes in the side) and that was touch and go if I didn't see a puddle in time. Will be there in a week and so far the weather looks good for the mid 70s and 50s at night but will have the fleece and rain jacket along just in case.
One of our local TV stations did a report on "snow" in Florida this am - they do the snow thing in Celebration every night apparently - it is really some kind of soap bubble thing but the kids were having a wonderful time with it.

There's never any "real snow" as we'd define it here in Maine.
A dusting...at worse.
Here, we look at snow storms by what size rig we need to plow it!
A "normal" storm is plowed with a 1/2 Truck...a "real storm" requires a 3/4 ton ton or a 1 ton truck! :)

Does it snow in Central FL - yes!
Back in Feb of '77, the year I graduated high school, I was at a home basketball game. Just after half time it started snowing, everyone left the game, and we had a junior vs senior snow ball fight in the parking lot.
Some people were able create a snow man about two foot tall.
You have to remember, most of people in my high school had never seen snow, been in snow, nor traveled to an area that has snow. My high school friends and I were born and raised in FL. This was the first recorded snow fall in Central FL, since my mother graduated high school in '57.
Yes it can and does snow in and around Disney.

I'm really enjoying this thread!

I think I will bring my Disney Winter gear for our trip no matter the forecast in January!

I just wish my warm jackets didn't have hoods. If you see a pudgy woman with a really cute hat...and 2 hooded jackets...that's me!

As for Alabama: If you ever find yourself here in Winter weather. Stay off the road. WE don't know how to drive in it, and will crash into YOU!! It is our version of demolition derby!

If we are going to chat about real snow I'll pull out my years in Syracuse NY -- annual totals 110 to 120 inches - monthly records exceed 6 feet - meaningful snowfall six months a year - over 60 days of measurable snowfall each year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter