Sneaking Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
They tried pulling this perk recently and there was such an uproar DCL reinstated the policy within a few days.

Very true, but a good part of the uproar was that there was no advanced noticed.

DCL will reach a point when the problem is worse then taking the perk away

AKK

I think it is funny on this board how some equate lack of "respecting a policy" to a morale failing. I do try to follow rules, especially when my actions may infringe on others. But I don't believe it reflects on my character when I bring my own bottle of water or can of pop into a movie theatre where they would charge $5 or more for a beverage. If challenged I would calmly throw it away, my risk. But if I was going to make a value judgement it would lean toward the price of concessions being obscene.

I am sorry you feel that way,but in fact it is just that and a poor example to the kids.

The movie company charges what the market will bear..........just like all companies in the world....if your not willing to pay the price then don't eat in the movie.

I am sure somewhere there is someone who thinks wherever job you do is over payed, but that is the market price for your job.

JMHO

Very true, but a good part of the uproar was that there was no advanced noticed.

DCL will reach a point when the problem is worse then taking the perk away

AKK

And then adult cruisers like me may say...hmm.

One of the reasons I was willing to pay more is gone. I may be gone

Their call.

And do you folks do a survey? How do you determine the beer I carried out of my room didn't come from Disney. They sell it to me, same for wine? Or are you just "assuming" and judging?

But I don't think it is the abuse or posts on here that will change the policy. They will just see it as a way to get even more money....

Why did they add booze to a restaurant in the MK??? Not to stop us from "sneaking":rotfl: But for $$$$$$$$$$$$

This board seems to have a high view of it's "power" :confused3

My interpretation of this is the similar to the food policy for the parks. On the website it clearly states no outside food or beverages. In reality, they have no problem allowing snacks, water, etc to be brought into the parks. What they don't want is people bringing in a full cooler of sandwich items, laying it out on a table and assembling their lunch (that is why you can bring in a whole sandwich, but not the individual fixings). They ask that if you want to do that, please use the picnic area.

The same goes for the alcohol policy on DCL. They are fine with you bringing on your own alcohol as long as you drink it in your room or one at time while out on deck. What they don't want is people bringing full coolers of bottles up on deck and handing them out around the pool, etc. It was stated before that they had problems with coolers in the rooms leaking and making a mess of the carpets, etc. But I can also see where they wouldn't want coolers of bottled beer or wine around the pool either.

But because they can't be that specific on the website, they include the wording as they have. Mainly because if you don't have something in writing people will take it to the extreme (give them an inch and they will take a mile) and then they will have to ban bringing on your own alcohol completely.

They aren't going to stop and check each cup to see if there is alcohol in it, but if you show up at the pool with enough alcohol for 10 people for the day, they might ask you to return it to your room (and can state the policy as the reason why).

I will point out, again, DCL's policy

Question
What is the policy regarding bringing alcoholic beverages on board?
Answer
Alcohol is permitted on board. However, any fragile items (including alcoholic beverages) must be hand-carried on board in the carry-on of an adult Guest – age 21 or older (dimensions can't exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep).

Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.
Guests who arrive in the dining room, including Palo and Remy, with a bottle of champagne or wine will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

It specifically says "may not be consumed in any lounge or public area". Nowhere does it say "may bring one drink at a time on deck". They ask that you consume the alcohol you bring onboard in your stateroom. Period.

"Give them an inch and they'll take a mile". Seems like the OK to bring it onboard for personal use, in your personal space is being stretched to include carrying it around on deck here.

It is not a perk, it is a business decision. DCL has calculated the cost/benefit and set the policy. My guess is it actually results in more sales of booze. Have a drink in you room then have 3 or 4 more on deck. Why other cruise lines don't do this likely has to do with the demographics of family cruisers.

I see people speeding and texting while driving every day. Those are 'rules' that affect people's lives not the bottom line of a 87 billion dollar corporation.

If you want to pat yourself on the back for following all of DCL rules and not wearing shorts to dinner or not drinking your beers on deck, that is fine but don't speed, text and drive, don't fudge your charitable contributions, don't take a pen from the office or take an extra 15 minutes on your lunch break.

Point being, live the best life you can and don't judge the shortcomings of others.

And then adult cruisers like me may say...hmm.

One of the reasons I was willing to pay more is gone. I may be gone

Their call.

That of course it your choice, as I said when DCL decides the problem is more of a problem then the solution of stopping guests from bring alcohol onboard....that is when this nice little perk will be taken away.

And do you folks do a survey? How do you determine the beer I carried out of my room didn't come from Disney. They sell it to me, same for wine? Or are you just "assuming" and judging?

This is not hard to do, a little attention to guests and you are able to figure that out pretty easy. Besides they need only convince themselves (right or wrong) the problem is worse then the solution.

But I don't think it is the abuse or posts on here that will change the policy. They will just see it as a way to get even more money....

I totally agree, When the problem is more painful then the solution

Why did they add booze to a restaurant in the MK??? Not to stop us from "sneaking":rotfl: But for $$$$$$$$$$$$

Agreed........and I still feel that was a wrong thing to do, MK is special, it should stay that way

This board seems to have a high view of it's "power" :confused3

Agreed, but DCL reads this board and others, so it is something of a tool for them

AKK

It is not a perk, it is a business decision. DCL has calculated the cost/benefit and set the policy. My guess is it actually results in more sales of booze. Have a drink in you room then have 3 or 4 more on deck. Why other cruise lines don't do this likely has to do with the demographics of family cruisers.

I see people speeding and texting while driving every day. Those are 'rules' that affect people's lives not the bottom line of a 87 billion dollar corporation.

If you want to pat yourself on the back for following all of DCL rules and not wearing shorts to dinner or not drinking your beers on deck, that is fine but don't speed, text and drive, don't fudge your charitable contributions, don't take a pen from the office or take an extra 15 minutes on your lunch break.

Point being, live the best life you can and don't judge the shortcomings of others.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I don't speed, in fact I rarely get out of the right hand lane on the highway. I don't text (driving or otherwise). We've never "fudged" our charitable contributions. The only pens that we have at home that we haven't bought, I've always asked if I could have them. And, as I don't work outside the home, I don't have a formal lunch break.

It's quite possible to live happily without "stretching" any rules.

I'm not judging others, someone asked a question, and I answered it.

Thanks! I learned something today! :goodvibes I honestly didn't know that there was a "no outside food" rule at the parks....

There isn't.

The FAQ is here.

Q.

Can I bring my own food into theme parks and Disney Resort hotels?
A.

Guests are allowed to bring food items—such as snacks or foods that do not require heating—into Disney theme parks. Inform a Security Cast Member of any food items when you enter the park.

And it's even super-easy to find now! That's ONE check in the "good job, new website" column, I suppose. (omg and you put "costume" into the search field and it gives you the FAQ answer about what people can and cannot wear! I'm amazed!)

DCL is the only line I know that allows us to bring alcohol on board, a wonderful courtesy for which I thank them. I hope the minority who abuse this courtesy don't eventually lose it for us all.

There are others who allow you to bring alcohol on board. Just not necessarily as much as Disney does. RCCL, for instance, somewhat recently started allowing 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. That's all I'd need, personally!

We bought a case of beer from dcl on our first cruise. And we carried that around with us everywhere we had bottles under the stroller. We bought from dcl so I assume it was ok. But I don't know how they could tell it was dcl an not from home.

And I think THAT is why CMs don't tend to bother you if you're drinking something. They might not have an easy way to know where you got it from.

I'll admit that I carried a glass of wine from my room to my aunt's room (or vice versa? can't recall), so I went through public areas, but it wasn't my intention to sit on a staircase and drink the wine. I was going from place to place with it to get ready for dinner. No one stopped me (I saw no CMs but let's pretend I had run into some), but how would they actually KNOW if it was my wine, wine I bought at a bar, wine I bought at the MDR, or even wine I bought in a package (there are wine packages on DCL, aren't there?). So they let it slide.

The one time I wanted wine at the MDR, I bought it. And it was good, too. Thanks Ludovic for the suggestion of that wine!

I don't speed, in fact I rarely get out of the right hand lane on the highway. I don't text (driving or otherwise). We've never "fudged" our charitable contributions. The only pens that we have at home that we haven't bought, I've always asked if I could have them. And, as I don't work outside the home, I don't have a formal lunch break.

It's quite possible to live happily without "stretching" any rules.

I'm not judging others, someone asked a question, and I answered it.

I don't do these thing either but my humility keeps me from bragging about it. I am ver humble. In fact, I am the most humble person I know. I once won an award for my humility.....but when I went down to accept the award they rescinded it.

Seriously, I not do most of these things....but I admit texting and driving....occasionally take a long lunch but often don't take a lunch so that is a wash. Don't itemize so don't fudge. If I ever get a moving violation it will be for going too slow.

If people don't follow the rules, I don't care. I'm a live and let die person....uh, I mean live and let live....yeah, that's it.

I don't do these thing either but my humility keeps me from bragging about it. I am ver humble. In fact, I am the most humble person I know. I once won an award for my humility.....but when I went down to accept the award they rescinded it.

Seriously, I not do most of these things....but I admit texting and driving....occasionally take a long lunch but often don't take a lunch so that is a wash. Don't itemize so don't fudge. If I ever get a moving violation it will be for going too slow.

If people don't follow the rules, I don't care. I'm a live and let die person....uh, I mean live and let live....yeah, that's it.

:goodvibes

My Friend, seems you and I are a bit like Mark Twain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we were born humble, but luckily we out grew it!:lmao:

I would :thumbsup2 except for part of admitting you text and drive. There's just so far that I, personally, will just shrug my shoulders, and mind my own business because it's not harming anyone else....but texting while driving isn't putting just yourself at risk, but everyone else on the road too.

I would :thumbsup2 except for part of admitting you text and drive. There's just so far that I, personally, will just shrug my shoulders, and mind my own business because it's not harming anyone else....but texting while driving isn't putting just yourself at risk, but everyone else on the road too.

Well, I don't do it often and only while stopped at a light.

I don't know....I think I call BS on this one, unless you brought a label you knew DCL carried. I don't believe all those CMs "everywhere" turned a blind eye. I could see, maybe one, wink and nod, but not "anywhere, including bars". I think this is very poor advise.

We asked multiple CMs including bartenders.One of them even gave us a free bottle opener. Most of them were jokingly saying there were going to find us after they go off work and have some drinks at the pool. We would tip the servers that would come by and pick up our empty bottles. We never had any negative feedback from any other cruisers or CMs.

We had Budweiser, a bunch of different beers from mexico(including a couple 40s) and 2 bottles of liquor (Johnny walker black label and Captain Morgan black) all together.
I feel and for the people that bought all those expensive drinks, we only spent about $70 on alcohol the whole trip.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

This past cruise when we stayed in concierge we had a set of bar glasses and wine glasses stocked in our room at all times. They were the same ones used in the lounge. Had we wanted to, we could have mixed our rum and cokes in there and taken them out, everyone would have thought we stopped at the bar. Since the lounge kept us well hydrated and we enjoyed the passport at skyline we didn't drink any of what we brought.

But had we brought wine nobody would have had a clue because of the glasses. I guess that could be seen as another concierge perk.

Cgolf

I think it depends on the CM with regard to how they handle things like this. Another CM might not be so encouraging with regard to a bucket of beers in a public area. But a single drink won't cause a problem:thumbsup2

It was an ice bucket from the room so it only held about 4 beers, I don't want you thinking I had 12 beers in a faint bucket I brought from home:)

When I read about following rules to the letter I think "so in your world Rosa Parks would have just chosen to not ride the bus. As an example to kids!"

Um on our magic cruise in February we sat at a table next to a man who had his bottle of rum on the table as he ordered cokes to go with it from the waiter by the pool, so apparently they don't rally care.

Um on our magic cruise in February we sat at a table next to a man who had his bottle of rum on the table as he ordered cokes to go with it from the waiter by the pool, so apparently they don't rally care.

You didn't happen to be on the feb 5th cruise did you? That might have been my husband :) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter