Smugglers Run - how roles are assigned?

Oh, yeah, no, that part seemed a bit like...how would they even. But is it still, like, get on the transport, get stopped, get captured, go to cell blocks, escape, etc?

Oh, yeah, no, that part seemed a bit like...how would they even. But is it still, like, get on the transport, get stopped, get captured, go to cell blocks, escape, etc?
For the most part yes. Not all of it is part of the physical ride. Some aspects are pre-show. This has a big pre-show element to it.

For the most part yes. Not all of it is part of the physical ride. Some aspects are pre-show. This has a big pre-show element to it.

What I'm wondering about, reading that description, is: what about guests with mobility issues? How are they going to handle having to move around so much? Just reading the description it sounds to me like there's a LOT of guest involvement, and some guests on the ride might not be up to it. It sounds more like an "escape room" attraction than an actual ride.

And then there's the language barrier. It's one thing if you're just sitting there watching something happen but quite another when stuff is happening that you're supposed to react to and you don't even know what's going on. I'm sure Disney's thought of that, though.

Ugh. Now I have another thing to worry about. If I get assigned to be the pilot I don't want to be guilted into giving up my card to a child or some other stranger who really wants to be the pilot. I don't want to break someone's heart, but I would also want to have the opportunity to be the pilot myself or give it to a member of my own family. I guess that makes me selfish.

Ugh. Now I have another thing to worry about. If I get assigned to be the pilot I don't want to be guilted into giving up my card to a child or some other stranger who really wants to be the pilot. I don't want to break someone's heart, but I would also want to have the opportunity to be the pilot myself or give it to a member of my own family. I guess that makes me selfish.
Weirdly I haven't heard that this is happening that much, I would expect more of it but maybe people are being good about accepting the role they get?

What I'm wondering about, reading that description, is: what about guests with mobility issues? How are they going to handle having to move around so much? Just reading the description it sounds to me like there's a LOT of guest involvement, and some guests on the ride might not be up to it. It sounds more like an "escape room" attraction than an actual ride.

And then there's the language barrier. It's one thing if you're just sitting there watching something happen but quite another when stuff is happening that you're supposed to react to and you don't even know what's going on. I'm sure Disney's thought of that, though.

The moving around takes place in line with guests being placed in rooms. Once you are in the trackless vehicle, you do not leave until the end. Its really no different than having to go through the two rooms in FOP or the two rooms in Smugglers run.

We rode a total of three times and TYPICALLY, the cards were handed out in the order people were standing in, starting on your right, Pilot, Pilot, Gunner, Gunner, Engineer, Engineer. If you are thinking "hey does this mean single riders will almost always get Engineer?" yes, yes it does. On our first ride, a CM called down the line for a party of two, which I have a near Pavlovian response to, so we went forward and got (surprise!) the two engineer cards. My BF, who does terrible on motion sim rides like Star Tours actually really liked being engineer. To quote him "spent so much time pushing buttons I didn't notice to get sick!" I found engineer to be entertaining, something was typically breaking down during that ride as our pilots had a habit of missing button pushes, whoops!

On our second go we were the front pair, but I realized we had some antsy people so as soon as the CM started the "Hondo is looking for some pilots, gunners, and-" spiel, me and TWO other people (we were three sets of two) piped up wanting to be pilot. This was during one of the wait time walk on moments, so the CM asked the last pair to wait for the next mission, and myself and one young lady from the other group were the pilots (I was on the left, in fact I never got to sit on the right for any of my rides!) BF took gunner, which he didn't like as much as engineer and he found aiming to be a pain and advised me to pick auto aim if I was ever a gunner. We didn't do TOO badly that time (I hit the buttons!) Oh! We also had auto-engineers engaged, though I think the gunners now had harpoon control? Not sure, I was busy dodging left and right

Since we ended up being locked out of the cantina (whoops again), we went for one more ride, with me hoping to get gunner. They called for a party of two, but I didn't volunteer this time (cause see above, engineer) and we were in fact in front of a family of four, so we SHOULD have gotten the pilot cards and been able to trade. ALAS, the kids were either wise to this, or just couldn't stand still, because they snaked around us quickly, and the parents followed them and suddenly we were engineers again. Lucky for me, the mom of the group was will to trade with me. (When I first asked to trade with one gunner, one of the boys started yelling that he wasn't giving up his card... Like umm, plz chill? Same child also shoved me to the left side of the Falcon because he suddenly decided he wanted to sit behind Dad and not his brother, which you'd think would hurt being able to see, but the mind of a child...)

Regardless, I found engineer more fun than gunner (though I did auto aim). And yes you can just hold down the button, but your final payout will be docked for wasting ammo! Hope this helps!

Same child also shoved me to the left side of the Falcon

Wow, what a brat! I'm surprised his parents were OK with him pushing adults around. But they seem to also tolerate the boys cutting in line in front of other people, so I guess they were just a family of jerks.

To your last paragraph I'm wondering if Ears to the World will be updated to work for MFSR and RotR . when it opens, that would be helpful. A quick scan of the DL website and I couldn't find that device offered there but here they have these red headphones that translate what's happening in some attractions into different languages

Wow, what a brat! I'm surprised his parents were OK with him pushing adults around. But they seem to also tolerate the boys cutting in line in front of other people, so I guess they were just a family of jerks.

reminds me of one time we were in line for Ariel's ride and it must have broken down as the line didn't move for a while and these two kids were running all through the queue and climbing on the rock work, etc. After the 2nd time that they physically made contact with members of my family I talked to them about being mindful of where they are running and not run into other people - so they went to an adult in their group to report that I talked to them and this womand turned around at me, shrugged her shoulders, and turned back around and did nothing. About 5 minutes later their entire party, I guess got tired of waiting, so they all just left the queue and went through a door marked "Cast Members Only" - so yeah, some people seem to think rules don't apply to them

reminds me of one time we were in line for Ariel's ride and it must have broken down as the line didn't move for a while and these two kids were running all through the queue and climbing on the rock work, etc. After the 2nd time that they physically made contact with members of my family I talked to them about being mindful of where they are running and not run into other people - so they went to an adult in their group to report that I talked to them and this womand turned around at me, shrugged her shoulders, and turned back around and did nothing. About 5 minutes later their entire party, I guess got tired of waiting, so they all just left the queue and went through a door marked "Cast Members Only" - so yeah, some people seem to think rules don't apply to them
I wanted to react to this but no reaction worked. Because I am not surprise and the angry one wouldn't work because I deal with stuff like this almost everyday. It is quite sad how entitled people are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter