Smugglers Run—Motion Sickness?

Anyone have any problems with SR and motion sickness? My husband can do Soarin, roller coasters, and Mission Space Green, but he does get motion sickness on any tight spinning (tea cups) and he tried FOP once—he won’t do FOP again because he felt bad afterwards.

How is intensity for a 6 year old? She did fine on FOP and has ridden Space, Everest, and Big Thunder...
Hubby gets motion sick but had no problems on this ride.

How bumpy is the ride? If I close my eyes the entire time, will I feel the rocking and dropping as in a roller coaster? Any steep drop? Spin?
I'm not looking forward to being on this one, but my hubby is a SW fan so I will have to tag along.
Also, I closed my eyes 95% of the time on FOP and was fine with the motion. Is this similar? 🤞

Bumping this - would just like to confirm, is there spinning on Smugglers Run?

Anyone have any problems with SR and motion sickness? My husband can do Soarin, roller coasters, and Mission Space Green, but he does get motion sickness on any tight spinning (tea cups) and he tried FOP once—he won’t do FOP again because he felt bad afterwards.

How is intensity for a 6 year old? She did fine on FOP and has ridden Space, Everest, and Big Thunder...
Not sure if you've traveled yet but - my husband has no issues on any ride, he loves Star Tours, FOP, roller coasters, etc., and he almost barfed after Smugglers Run! He had to sit down in the hall afterwards and couldn't ride anything for a while after. I was shocked! He was the pilot on the right, if that makes any difference.

My 6 and 8 year olds absolutely LOVED it, as did I :) My in-laws are in their late 60s and had no issues either, and they hate roller coasters and "spinny" rides like the teacups.

1. Sometimes after Star Tours or similar I feel a tiny bit woozy. Not enough to not ride a simulator though. I didn't get that feeling on SR.
2. Its MUCH MUCH smoother than Star Tours even with the simulated crashes.

Yes, motion sickness. Yes, yes, unfortunately yes. I was mayyybe 45 seconds in and I had to remind myself that it was only a ride and I started searching through my backpack for my hand sanitizer as I was simply trying to find something to do to take my mind off of it.

How bumpy is the ride? If I close my eyes the entire time, will I feel the rocking and dropping as in a roller coaster? Any steep drop? Spin?
I'm not looking forward to being on this one, but my hubby is a SW fan so I will have to tag along.
Also, I closed my eyes 95% of the time on FOP and was fine with the motion. Is this similar? 🤞

If you close your eyes, you're still shifted up and down and back and forth in your seat. Our pilot was a bad pilot and we were jostled all over the place. And I would not say it's similar to FOP. I get motion sickness right when FOP goes into Egypt, but it's very short lived for me. I'm able to tolerate that ride, but not Star Tours, teacups or Mission Space -- and now not Smuggler's Run!

I get motion sickness pretty easily. Rides at Universal are not doable for me unless I have Meclizine. I have no issues with Smuggler's Run. The back row of Star Tours almost sends me to the restroom, though.

Yes, motion sickness. Yes, yes, unfortunately yes. I was mayyybe 45 seconds in and I had to remind myself that it was only a ride and I started searching through my backpack for my hand sanitizer as I was simply trying to find something to do to take my mind off of it.

If you close your eyes, you're still shifted up and down and back and forth in your seat. Our pilot was a bad pilot and we were jostled all over the place. And I would not say it's similar to FOP. I get motion sickness right when FOP goes into Egypt, but it's very short lived for me. I'm able to tolerate that ride, but not Star Tours, teacups or Mission Space -- and now not Smuggler's Run!
I think you mean Soarin and not FOP

Smugglers Run is definitely more like Star Tours but with you doing something instead of just sitting.
I can see how some could get motion sickness. Didn't think it was as jerky as ST.

DH cannot do any of the Disney coasters besides 7DMT, SDD, and Barnstormer. EE put him out of commission for a couple hours. He can’t do Star Tours and FoP isn’t great for him but he’ll ride.

He was surprisingly okay on MFSR, we were engineers though so that may have helped.

My DH is also a little nervous about this. Can’t do Star Tours or Pandora, but really wants to give it a try. I suggested to maybe avoid the front seats, where he’s not staring at the screen. I hope that will help. I’d hate for him to miss out.

My DH is also a little nervous about this. Can’t do Star Tours or Pandora, but really wants to give it a try. I suggested to maybe avoid the front seats, where he’s not staring at the screen. I hope that will help. I’d hate for him to miss out.

I can’t do Star Tours but am fine on FoP (although do look away a few times). The Pilot position doesn’t sit well for me. Gunner or Engineer, I’m good. I seem to be among the few people that actually want to be the Engineer.

Mine is similar and was fine as engineer! The least desired position so you’ll probably find someone who will trade if he ends up with something else. Unless of course you’ve got a group full of people who also have motion sickness issues lol.

I can’t do Star Tours but am fine on FoP (although do look away a few times). The Pilot position doesn’t sit well for me. Gunner or Engineer, I’m good. I seem to be among the few people that actually want to be the Engineer.

Mine is similar and was fine as engineer! The least desired position so you’ll probably find someone who will trade if he ends up with something else. Unless of course you’ve got a group full of people who also have motion sickness issues lol.

Thanks to you both for confirming. That’s what I figured. I do get dizzy at times on Star Tours, and avoid Pandora at all costs, but I’m not missing out on this ride. I’ll fly that ship silly and be totally ok with getting sick after. Definitely worth it!! 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!