Smoking Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologise if it did not come out civil. What I was referencing were comments on Facebook I keep reading over and over again that there were going to be issues because the poster's husband smoked and just wait until he had to wait in a two hour line in 90 degrees heat with yelling children all around (lots of comments to something like that). Then no one would have a good time. I'm not sure if there were patches or gum at that time but that probably would've helped.

I should have included those specific comments but I was pressed for time at work and still wanted to comment on the post.

That was my dad when we went in 1990. He had the brilliant idea of quitting smoking while taking the family to Disney World. Now I appreciate what he was trying to do but the timing was probably not great. My biggest memories was him getting mad about really dumb stuff and all because of the nicotine addiction. Uncool for sure.

I have spent the last hour reading though this thread and I am certainly in the minority.

I am a smoker and am truly devastated by this news. It is not feasible to walk from the back of the park to outside of security every few hours. All of the smoking areas are completely out of the way of guests unless you are looking for them (With the exception of Italy). I am overly conscientious about where I smoke, even in places that don't have restrictions, I sneak off to a corner where there aren't any people so I don't bother anybody. The only reason I am not canceling our 2 upcoming trips this year is our AP passes are already paid for. We will not be renewing them.
I am not going to spend thousand upon thousands of dollars a year to waste hours walking in and out of the park to have a cigarette. As much as I love Disney, it's just not worth it. We love Vegas too and they are very welcoming to us.

I realize that most of you can't understand this unless you have an addiction. It's not as easy as telling myself that I can't have a smoke. I would be miserable. The only way I have every been able to make people understand it is comparing it to being overweight. Most people have struggled with weight in their lives and the solution is really very simple. Stop overeating, eating junk food and exercise. If it was as easy as it sounds 40% of Americans wouldn't be obease.

Yes, I hate the smoking not the smoker. This is a genuine question and not meant to be judgmental, I'm just ignorant of the details: If someone were already going to the parks after this ban, but didn't want to inconvenience themselves by having to smoke, would using gum or patches be a decent alternative? I know if it were me or my family member I wouldn't want myself or them to go out to the front of the park every time they wanted a cigarette but I also wouldn't want them to miss out. I think once people get past the initial shock of the change, they will have to find alternatives if they don't want to cancel and don't want to walk outside every hour or whatever.

honestly never seen that - never seen anyone vomit

but if they are causing a disturbance they should be removed from the park

Sometimes Disney is too nice - if they were more firm with removing people that were causing issues due to drinking too much and were more firm with ensuring people who smoked stayed in the smoking areas, I think it would be better for everyone

They *should be removed*, totally agree. :(

Well then, you & others who haven’t seen this type of drunken behavior should consider yourselves lucky! The kiddos in our family never even want to step foot in Epcot again & quite frankly, we don’t blame them for feeling that way.
I do not want to see drunken fools at WDW either and don't really know how anyone could argue that seeing this makes for a fun trip to WDW. What does this have to do with either supporting or opposing the ban on smoking inside the parks?

He shouldn’t have to go thru security again of the smoking area outside the park is inside the security bubble, but if it is he will have to go thru security again.
No official word yet on where the WDW DSAs will be located, but at DL it will be outside the secure area, near the street.
Not trying to be mean....but, how do you KNOW their cough if ' fake' . Both of my children cough when passing any smoking section. I can guarantee my 17 month old baby isn't ' faking' her cough. Anyone has the right to smoke, but keep it away from innocent people
Cversely, if someone is already in a location smoking, it would be the responsibility of the offender person to avoid the area.
Minus nicotine it’s the exact same thing as in a vape pen.
Interesting. Some juice has no nicotine.

It's very hard to enjoy a park when my asthmatic child can't breath and needs to be rushed to the hospital because of someone's laziness that they won't go to a designated area
Genuine question, absolutely zero snark/sarcasm: if you don't mind, how many times has this happened from a whiff of smoke?

Last edited:

Well then, you & others who haven’t seen this type of drunken behavior should consider yourselves lucky! The kiddos in our family never even want to step foot in Epcot again & quite frankly, we don’t blame them for feeling that way.
Rubbish. If you can’t handle society at Epcot. Then you may as well never leave the house. Lol

Last edited:
"The reason" is rubbish regardless. Crowd control has nothing to do with it.
It does, sort of, at DL. The one DSA is on the path to SW:GE.
I go by my previous statement, if cigarettes were sold in the parks like alcohol is now this wouldn't have happened.
Cigarettes are (currently) sold in the parks.
Smoking is becoming less popular in the US.
::yes:: only about 14.4% of the population smokes, vs. in 2005 it was a tad over 20%/

mickeyfanachey1999 said:
What do this have to do with this conversation you may ask? Just this...Don't be a bit surprised when butts start littering areas between the parking lots, the trams, the monorail, and the boats.

The above thought process is what I have never understood. What are people thinking when they litter freely like this. I would like to say this does not happen but I see it daily - butts all over the ground (not just Disney). For this alone it would be nice to ban smoking - not only save people’s lungs but the environment also!

Now that there are festivals year round, and AP pricing is higher, I don't know if it's as bad. But the weekend scene at F&W used to be pretty obnoxious, not just vomiting but also shoving, cussing and the rest. I was actually pretty shocked the first time we ran into it (which was our first time back East in a while and we didn't even know what F&W was). It seemed Disney looked the other way because booze proved a band-aid for a broken Epcot (they even tried to emulate it was weekend raves at California Adventure). But we digress...

I actually surprised it took Disney this long to ban smoking in the parks. "Fair" or not, considering the trends, I would have expected this 10 years ago, when so many other cities, towns and counties in the U.S. started banning ALL public smoking, including on private balconies. Many of those ordinances are 15+ years old, I'm really surprised it took Disney this long to catch up. As much as some people still assume there are lots of rural regions where smoking is still widely accepted...there aren't. I travel all around the country and in very few places (Vegas and Denver come to mind) do I still run to enough smoke to give me flashbacks of growing up in a tobacco state (and going to college in Canada) in the '70's, '80s, and '90s.

I'd like to use a pun for $100. If you don't allow any smoking, you don't need to figure out which monster it is. Just nip it in the bud. :)
Groan ;)
Her JustVapor did indeed give me a migraine. So glad I won't have to deal with that at Disney
I thought the vapor is just steam? :confused3
fact: The words "hOST" and "gUeST" seem to be a phonetic drift from the exact same word
Host is rooted in Latin, while guest comes from old English.

Since we're talking about drunken behavior at Epcot, we happened to be there right when this happened:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...o-city-alex-morgan-disney-20171003-story.html

A group of Orlando City Soccer Club players, including U.S. women's national team star Alex Morgan, were kicked out of a Disney World park during the weekend.
According to the report, Epcot managers called deputies to trespass several individuals who were “impaired and verbally aggressive.”

We were getting pictures taken in front of Spaceship Earth right when a wasted Alex Morgan came crashing through, trying to make a run from security. It was actually hilarious: my in-laws and kids got a real laugh out of it.

Yes, I hate the smoking not the smoker. This is a genuine question and not meant to be judgmental, I'm just ignorant of the details: If someone were already going to the parks after this ban, but didn't want to inconvenience themselves by having to smoke, would using gum or patches be a decent alternative? I know if it were me or my family member I wouldn't want myself or them to go out to the front of the park every time they wanted a cigarette but I also wouldn't want them to miss out. I think once people get past the initial shock of the change, they will have to find alternatives if they don't want to cancel and don't want to walk outside every hour or whatever.

I don't see how they wouldn't. I know the patches and gum can really suck, but if someone was that worried about needing a fix, I don't see why those wouldn't be a solid option. Another option COULD be a nicotine inhaler, but I'm not 100% how those would fall under these new regulations, but I plan to shoot a question over to Disney to find out.

EDIT: So I messaged Disney about the nicotine inhalers and I am waiting to hear back with information which I will share with this board as I feel it would be good to have for those that maybe smokers and looking for an alternative.

Last edited:
I thought my Mom was the only person on earth who did that, (put out cigarettes and then put them in her purse). Lol
Nope,I do it too! One of my neighbors complains about cigarette butts on the ground, so I store mind in an empty pack until I get to a receptacle.
I'm sure that this will have no measurable negative effect on attendance at WDW.
With the restriction coinciding with the new Land opening, it will be 100% impossible to determine.

I thought the vapor is just steam? :confused3

The mix is 95% propylene glycol and glycerin, plus water nicotine and flavor.
  • While labeled a "food safe additive," the propylene glycol content gives some people, including bystanders, headaches. It affects some and not others...like eating MSG
  • The flavor/smell bugs others. Some just because it can be obnoxious in confined quarters, there are those people who can't handle being around strong smells, perfume, etc. Unfortunately for them, there are lots of strong smells coming of WDW guests. That said, many of the vape flavors are extremely sweet and attract attention
  • And then there is the nicotine. The chances are developing a nicotine habit from second-hand vape seem small, but it is still pumping an additive chemical into the air around others, and this does occasionally trigger former smokers
Now the e-cigs have been around long enough to study, there are starting to find links between them and COPD and heart disease.

Last edited:
I don't see how they wouldn't. I know the patches and gum can really suck, but if someone was that worried about needing a fix, I don't see why those wouldn't be a solid option. Another option COULD be a nicotine inhaler, but I'm not 100% how those would fall under these new regulations, but I plan to shoot a question over to Disney to find out.

EDIT: So I messaged Disney about the nicotine inhalers and I am waiting to hear back with information which I will share with this board as I feel it would be good to have for those that maybe smokers and looking for an alternative.
I have tried the gum and it simply does not work. In truth it makes me physically sick.

Cigarettes are (currently) sold in the parks.

Cigarettes are sold on property, not within the parks, and behind a counter.

The point is, if they advertised these products, placed Disney characters on the box, and had e-cigarettes that were designed as accessories in the style of Disney characters and sold them as much as they do alcohol... They wouldn't be banning smoking. That's just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter