Smoke odor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMCmom25kids

Mouseketeer
Anyone have any personal experience with having to deal with the odor of smoke while out on their own verandahs? Just wondering as we know this is probably a real possibility as we heard smoking is allowed out on verandahs. Didn't really consider this when we booked 2 connecting verandah rooms! Uuugghh! Oh well, we will still have a great time! I will be considerate of any smokers..... by not saying anything.... but I hope they would also be considerate by not lighting up one after another, after another, after another..... Hint... hint.... We ALL want to enjoy our cool and PRICEY verandahs. LOL

we have done 5 cruise's so far and all with veranda's and have never had any issuse's with smoke from smokers....gotta take into concideration that while the ship is moving, sea breeze's and the dividers between veranda's the smoke doent hang around realy at all...have a great time...:woohoo:

and not all people who book verandas smoke.. like me just spoiled from the first cruise with a veranda

Yes, we dealt with smokers near us on both of our cruises. It was never from next door, but from below us or a couple rooms down. But, it was tolerable or I just went inside. I wouldn't give up my veranda because of it.

Thanks for the replies so far.... I will keep my fingers crossed. I do feel a bit better about what one person said about the odor not really lingering. I sure hope not. The stench just makes me soooo nautious! I won't dwell on this by any means.... I will just make the best of it. Happy Cruising to all, and to all, a "smoke free" verandah night! LOL :cutie:

.... I will keep my fingers crossed.....The stench just makes me soooo nautious! I won't dwell on this by any means....

Just wait until you smell the fumes from the ship's smoke stacks! Or the exhaust from all the buses and cars dropping folks off at the terminal!!
;)

We were one of the unfortunate few whose neighbor smoked almost the entire 3 day cruise. We were so busy during that trip that we didn't use our balcony much, but it was frustrating when we did try to use it. (We have allergies to smoke and were unable to tolerate it for long.) We decided that we wouldn't pay for a verandah in the future due to the chance of this happening again.

While our verandah was lovely and enjoyed getting up early and sitting outside, we could not use it while our neighbors were out smoking. But the smoke smell only lingered while they smoked, so at least it wasn't bad all the time.
I am one that will not pay for a verandah in the future, (probably would take one as a free upgrade ;) though) until the go with smoking only on one side of the ship on private verandah's.

We tried twice and both times there was stinky cigar smoke that made our verandah unuseable for us. Both times we were midship. The second time the smell came into our room. They couldn't move us but gave us an air filter machine. I think we are jinx. We would like to try again for a verandah but we don't want to go through that again. It is sad to spend that extra money and not get to use it. I wish they would ban cigar smoking on ships. Even the kids talk me out of giving it another go saying we aren't in the room much anyway.

We thought it was a good idea for the first cruise because the children were 6 and 8. We thought if either got sick or needed a nap, we could at least get outside. Now that they are older, that itsn't an issue anymore.

We tried twice and both times there was stinky cigar smoke that made our verandah unuseable for us. Both times we were midship. The second time the smell came into our room. They couldn't move us but gave us an air filter machine. I think we are jinx. We would like to try again for a verandah but we don't want to go through that again. It is sad to spend that extra money and not get to use it. I wish they would ban cigar smoking on ships. Even the kids talk me out of giving it another go saying we aren't in the room much anyway.

We thought it was a good idea for the first cruise because the children were 6 and 8. We thought if either got sick or needed a nap, we could at least get outside. Now that they are older, that itsn't an issue anymore.

Wow, it sounds like you were with us! We also had the people next door smoking pot. Even our clothes smelled like cigs, and cigars. My son and I were sick for two months after. We are going to try the other side of the ship this time! ;)

Absolutely the luck of the draw. Sometimes we've never had anyone smoker next door and other times we've had chain smokers and even cigar or pipe smokers. It can also be a problem even if the smokers are a couple of doors down if they stand up at the rail while smoking.

Choose a room like 5622 that only has a verandah on one side to reduce the chances of having a smoker by 50 percent.

Anyone have any personal experience with having to deal with the odor of smoke while out on their own verandahs? Just wondering as we know this is probably a real possibility as we heard smoking is allowed out on verandahs. Didn't really consider this when we booked 2 connecting verandah rooms! Uuugghh! Oh well, we will still have a great time! I will be considerate of any smokers..... by not saying anything.... but I hope they would also be considerate by not lighting up one after another, after another, after another..... Hint... hint.... We ALL want to enjoy our cool and PRICEY verandahs. LOL

Six cruises; Six DCL verandahs, never an issue, people have smoked next door, but were very considerate, I have Asthma, so cant have smoke near me.

There is a notice on each verandah, saying please respect the people on the adjoining verandahs, and consider smoking only on the open deck.

I sure wish Disney would just get with it..... am I really the only one that thinks it would be MORE than fair just to designate say one side of the ship as being the "smoking veradahs" and the other side of the ship designated "NON smoking verandahs.??? Seems like common sense to me. However, I'm sure someone will chime in with a flaw in this idea. I give up.... after reading all the posts now, I feel as if I can't win. I guess the smokers win AGAIN! :scared: Uuugghh! All I can do now is PRAY!!!!!!!!

I sure wish Disney would just get with it..... am I really the only one that thinks it would be MORE than fair just to designate say one side of the ship as being the "smoking veradahs" and the other side of the ship designated "NON smoking verandahs.??? Seems like common sense to me. However, I'm sure someone will chime in with a flaw in this idea. I give up.... after reading all the posts now, I feel as if I can't win. I guess the smokers win AGAIN! :scared: Uuugghh! All I can do now is PRAY!!!!!!!!

Apart from the Port and Starboard lovers, it would be a great idea, I think there should be, a rule like this to be fair to everyone, as then smokers can feel free to smoke and Non Smokers, would be pleased.

I have posted the same idea as yours many times, another version was, all the aft rooms but then that effects people using the rooms designated for people with disabilities.

We were on a Princess cruise the Ruby Princess that did the port starboard idea. It was lovely because we were on our balcony smoke free while our friends who are smokers were across the hall smoking it up. The only draw back I see to that on Disney is the ton of connecting staterooms on the Dream. Some people would be stuck in the smoking side for the convenience of having all of their children next to them

We were on a Princess cruise the Ruby Princess that did the port starboard idea. It was lovely because we were on our balcony smoke free while our friends who are smokers were across the hall smoking it up. The only draw back I see to that on Disney is the ton of connecting staterooms on the Dream. Some people would be stuck in the smoking side for the convenience of having all of their children next to them

Not sure if I understand this correctly. Do you mean that the Dream will only have connecting staterooms on only one side of the ship? Sorry if I have this all wrong. I just wish it could be a non smoking ship. Period!

Except you would get folks complaining about the smoke drifting from one side to the other. I work with someone who admits she is allergic to everything....smoke, perfume, flowers, paint fumes. I don't doubt she has a reaction, but some of it is in her head. They announced they were going to do some painting on a certain day, and she went home sick because of the fumes. Unfortunately, management put off the painting 3 weeks, because she was going to be vacation that week, so there were no fumes, but she got sick just the same.:confused3

Not sure if I understand this correctly. Do you mean that the Dream will only have connecting staterooms on only one side of the ship? Sorry if I have this all wrong. I just wish it could be a non smoking ship. Period!

What I mean is that there are a number of connecting staterooms on the ship that families of five or more are excited about. That being said they are on both sides of the ship so I am sure that non smoking families would end up on a smoking side of the ship because they need that available connecting option.
I wish they could be smoke free also but Carnival tried that with the Carnival Paradise years ago and it flopped big time.

GRRRRRR. Not every smoker is rude and just because we smoke does not mean that we shouldn't be allowed to sail. Not everyone is perfect. Yes I smoke, no I don't smoke inside and I consider balcony rooms to be "inside" because I could have neighbors who don't smoke. Saying a ship should be "a non smoking ship. Period!" is unfair to those of us that smoke and attempt to be respectful about it.

Sorry if I upset anyone, but just because you choose not to smoke does not make it fair to "punish" those of us that choose to smoke.

Designating one side of the ship as smoking and one as non in terms of verandahs would never work because only 25 percent of the population smokes and that would take up 50 percent of the verandahs. Most non-smokers are not going to book a room on the smoking side when non is full. I remember the old days when smoking was still allowed in IL restaurants and the greeters would beg non-smokers to sit in smoking, where there were plenty of empty tables, but the majority would refuse and wait (sometimes up to an hour) for a table in non or simply choose to walk. DCL is not going to institute a policy that could cost them business. The WDW restaurants have been non-smoking for as long as I can remember, long before FL banned all eatery smoking...Mickey is too smart to lose money like those other restaurants. Smokers can step outside to smoke at an eatery but non-smokers cannot hold their breath for an entire meal.

GRRRRRR. Not every smoker is rude and just because we smoke does not mean that we shouldn't be allowed to sail. Not everyone is perfect. Yes I smoke, no I don't smoke inside and I consider balcony rooms to be "inside" because I could have neighbors who don't smoke. Saying a ship should be "a non smoking ship. Period!" is unfair to those of us that smoke and attempt to be respectful about it.

Sorry if I upset anyone, but just because you choose not to smoke does not make it fair to "punish" those of us that choose to smoke.

I was only stating MY opinion and wishes. Just for the record.... I do appreciate repectful smokers such as yourself.... it's the ones that are DISRESPECTFUL that I get annoyed with. I also just hate to see cig butts thrown down on the ground all over the place.... don't know why some people don't think this counts as littering. Amazing. Thanks for being a respectful smoker though.:cutie: I'm sure others appreciate this as well. Now lets get on with the fun of planning and learning about the great fun of cruising! :lovestruc

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter