Not open for further replies.
:snooty:

I - I am grateful that there are less and less places where you can smoke

D - Disgusting how you throw your used butts everywhere

I - I give you credit for lung cancer and emphysema

O - Outraged when I see a parent smoking near their child

T - Taking breaks every 15 minutes to get a fix

S - Stench given off by a smoker when they get right next to you

Sorry but it's hard to respect a smoker, when it's something they've chosen to expose themselves (and others) to, which is hazardous to your health, no matter how you try to justify it.

its okay, with that attitude i doubt many smokers respect you either. its all good! :rolleyes1

:snooty:

I - I am grateful that there are less and less places where you can smoke

D - Disgusting how you throw your used butts everywhere

I - I give you credit for lung cancer and emphysema

O - Outraged when I see a parent smoking near their child

T - Taking breaks every 15 minutes to get a fix

S - Stench given off by a smoker when they get right next to you

Sorry but it's hard to respect a smoker, when it's something they've chosen to expose themselves (and others) to, which is hazardous to your health, no matter how you try to justify it.

On the ship, I have never seen a cigarette butt on the floor. I've seen TONS and tons of napkins, french fries, you-name-it...but not a cigarette. I can't begin to count the number of times I've seen adults and kids drop things on the ground and not bother to pick it up. We had people on the balcony above us eating grapes as we pulled into port one day, and half of their grapes were dropping onto our balcony below.....
Face it....when people are anywhere other than their own homes, where they have to pick up their own messes, (a lot of) people just don't care. They figure that there is "hired help" to come along behind them to pick up...or that they're on vacation and don't have to.

Someone taking a cigarette break or giving themselves disease is not your concern. You're wasting far too much of your own precious time watching these people and worrying about them.

Cigarette stench? Like was said before....the stench of a dirty diaper, too much perfume, body odor, farting in public.....equally disgusting, but why doesn't anyone "police" those offenders???

There was only ONE perfect person, and I'm pretty sure you aren't Him. Please don't throw stones.

These threads always end up the same. I really do try to not even read them, and then I do something stupid, like read it and feel the need to reply.

No one is ever going to "win" this discussion.

The fact is, smoking IS allowed on the verandahs and in certain places. If that doesn't fit in to your vacation plans, then don't get a verandah and don't walk through the smoking areas.
Like it or not, smokers are still human, and still have RIGHTS. It IS our right to smoke where it's allowed.
And non-smokers have the right to NOT GO THERE.

If someone is so worried about smoking, thongs, and who-knows-what else, then they should consider a private vacation where they don't have to interact with other people.

If someone is so worried about smoking, thongs, and who-knows-what else, then they should consider a private vacation where they don't have to interact with other people.
I have been fortunate to travel much of the world, often in situations which were outside my personal comfort. But I am also fortunate to have been able to learn from those experiences, and to realise that my way is not always the best way, nor is it the only way of doing things.

I have always thought that travel was a broadening experience, because it allows us to see how others do things. If however we are not open to learning from others, or at least respecting others, then that learning opportunity is lost.

There are very few places we can go in life without experiencing differences, but I agree, if one is going to be so bothered or judgemental about those differences, then maybe one needs to find somewhere else to vacation.

These threads always end up the same. I really do try to not even read them, and then I do something stupid, like read it and feel the need to reply..

OMG, YOUR MY TWIN! i so try and avoid these threads, just know that someones ignorance is going to come through, but, like a train wreck, i just HAVE to go in and read a bit.....then of course i have to reply. its like the tipping threads. everyone has an option and you and i need to know it.
well, lets just all agree that we all have rights. i'll respect yours if you respect mine. if you don't, hey, i can blow smoke in any direction...:rotfl2:

OMG, YOUR MY TWIN! i so try and avoid these threads, just know that someones ignorance is going to come through, but, like a train wreck, i just HAVE to go in and read a bit.....then of course i have to reply. its like the tipping threads. everyone has an option and you and i need to know it.
well, lets just all agree that we all have rights. i'll respect yours if you respect mine. if you don't, hey, i can blow smoke in any direction...:rotfl2:
Yip, me too, I resisted til page 4. But Im NOT posting:surfweb:

I also have resisted posting until now... don't want to get into an argument.

But as a non-smoker I would like to share my feelings.

I guess what really bothers me is that smokers have the right to smoke in areas that will affect non-smokers.

It all well and good to say let's respect each others rights. But doesn't someone who is on a verandah who is a non-smoker have the right to not have smoke come anywhere near them and not have to retreat into their room.

That's the fundamental problem between smokers and non smokers -we don't want to have to have to inhale or smell your smoke and the fact that you are given the "right" to make us inhale or smell your smoke doesn't seem fair to me.

As I said don't want to stir things up any more than they are -I know there are some respectful smokers who take others into consideration but wanted to share my thoughts!

But until smoking is outlawed or prohibited from those areas, the smoker is not doing anything wrong.

One may not like the smell of smoke, or may not agree with smoking, (or may not like the clothes someone chooses to wear, etc etc) but that doesn't mean that one has the right to tell someone what they can and cannot do.

And by the way, I am not a smoker.

I also have resisted posting until now... don't want to get into an argument.

But as a non-smoker I would like to share my feelings.

I guess what really bothers me is that smokers have the right to smoke in areas that will affect non-smokers.

It all well and good to say let's respect each others rights. But doesn't someone who is on a verandah who is a non-smoker have the right to not have smoke come anywhere near them and not have to retreat into their room.

That's the fundamental problem between smokers and non smokers -we don't want to have to have to inhale or smell your smoke and the fact that you are given the "right" to make us inhale or smell your smoke doesn't seem fair to me.

As I said don't want to stir things up any more than they are -I know there are some respectful smokers who take others into consideration but wanted to share my thoughts!

Honestly....and if you've read the whole thread, you'll know I do smoke....you're right. Non-smokers shouldn't have to smell or breathe our smoke. But the problem is, there's no right or wrong answer. It is allowed, and I know from my own experience with booking rooms, I book a verandah for two reasons....one, so that I can get outside and enjoy the view, and two, so that I can smoke. And it is allowed.
I really do think, though, that like myself, most smokers try really hard to be aware of the people around us. I usually try to finish up quickly if someone comes out on their verandah next to mine, or two down. I book rooms on Deck 8, so that I don't have to worry about people above me. I know that's not possible for everyone, because of the cost....but for the most part, we are aware of your right to clean air and try to be careful.

What's really hard for us, though, is dealing with the non-smokers who are just downright rude. The ones who will walk through a smoking area and then "fake" cough as loudly and with as much exaggeration as possible. Or the ones on these boards who start these threads....because they're so worried ahead of time, that they almost ruin their own vacation worrying about every little (or big, in their minds) thing. And then they threaten to do as much as they can to make a smoker's life miserable.
One person a long time ago actually posted on this board, that they would spray Lysol over onto the verandah next to theirs....AT the smoker...if their neighbor was out there smoking! So someone has threatened to go as far as assault a smoker......
We are human, we have failures, and admittedly, smoking is one of them. But so does EVERYONE. No matter how perfect their little family may seem to be to them, there is always going to be something that someone else could pick on about them. But never does it seem worse than when it comes to the smoking issue. And it's far worse on the Disney Boards than it is on any other travel/cruise board I've been on. Something about "Disney" makes people think that everything should be perfect.
Sorry to say, but it isn't. The people who cruise on Disney are no different than any other people anywhere.
Someone said on another thread that Americans have class. Funny....travel to any other country and their citizens refer to us as "Dirty Americans"...because quite frankly, we're LAZY. We throw things out our car windows, we push to be first in line....the list goes on and on.

I was in the Walt Disney Theater one time and a girl of about 7 years old was behind me. When she was seated, she kicked the back of my seat. When she stood, she had her hands on the back of my chair, thus pulling my hair. I finally turned to the mother and was about to ask her to please control her daughter, when the mother looked at me and said "It's a DISNEY cruise!".....as if to say, I'm sure, that there are kids on a Disney cruise....but does that make it okay for the kids to behave badly and not use manners?

I guess what I'm saying is that nothing is ever going to be perfect or fair.
There are no written rules onboard about the things that a lot of people could claim are offensive to them. Other nasty smells, besides cigarette smoke....kids jamming the elevators or sitting on the stairs so that you can't move around them, adults getting drunk or using bad language....
But there IS a rule about smoking. And if it is allowed in certain places, then smokers have the RIGHT to expect to feel "safe" in those places, and not at the mercy of someone else's judgement.

One other issue....granted a small one.....is that DCL draws passengers from around the world. Some are from parts of the world where are no smoking restrictions , and they don't understand why they can't smoke where they want. This is the same sort of thing as tipping, some who cruise come from parts of the world where tipping isn't done.

I wonder why people think so negatively about smokers? :sad2:

Lighten up, she was joking!! The same as I hope the non-smoker was joking when she said she'd spray Lysol on anyone who dared smoke on the verandah next to hers.

I wonder why people think so negatively about smokers? :sad2:

yeah, my bad. i was only trying to lighten up the thread :sad2:. guess it didn't work. :confused3
and just as a p.s., not that its anyones business, i am a non smoker. i just choose to not let MY rights over power others. i'm no more important than you just as your no more important than me. were all in this together, right?

hahaha, I am one of those non smokers who would probably be making the that smoke stinks comments. HOWEVER, if someone on the verandah next to me was smoking I probably wouldn't say anything to them. If they smoked 20 cigs in a row so that I would be bothered,`then I would ask them for a break kindly somehow. Smoke bothers me and my family, by giving most of us headaches, but we have to be around it for a little while and be within a couple feet of it during that time.

Now if you are my mom, then yes, I would tell you to your face that you are smoking death sticks, but if you are not her, then you are pretty safe from me.

One random vent though, why do resturants that still have a smoking section make you walk through the smoking section to get to the non smoking section?:confused:

I wish, the smokers who wanted to quit could. I understand your frustration just like someone who is trying to diet, stop drinking, etc... It is an addiction that smoking companies don't want to you give up or they would go broke. My Mom is a smoker and unfortunately, it has effected her life in many ways. She can't even go more than 15 minutes without a cigarette which it makes it difficult for her to hold down a job. She spends most of her disposible income on cigarettes. It has ruined her life in every way possible. I think, most people when they see smoker or smell smoke think of my Mother. I'm sure you are respectful to everyone around you but my Mother is not. She is one of the people you'd be spraying the lysol at. It is pretty bad. The funny thing is that she doesn't think she has a problem. She doesn't think smoking effects any body but her.

I do have to say we have had a verandah several times and never had any issues. The only time I really noticed smoke to the point where I had to leave was in the Cove on the Mediterranean cruise. You could see it in the air-- it was thick like a smoky bar. My tolerance is pretty low these days for it since I don't live with it 24-7.

Honestly....and if you've read the whole thread, you'll know I do smoke....you're right. Non-smokers shouldn't have to smell or breathe our smoke. But the problem is, there's no right or wrong answer. It is allowed, and I know from my own experience with booking rooms, I book a verandah for two reasons....one, so that I can get outside and enjoy the view, and two, so that I can smoke. And it is allowed.
I really do think, though, that like myself, most smokers try really hard to be aware of the people around us. I usually try to finish up quickly if someone comes out on their verandah next to mine, or two down. I book rooms on Deck 8, so that I don't have to worry about people above me. I know that's not possible for everyone, because of the cost....but for the most part, we are aware of your right to clean air and try to be careful.

What's really hard for us, though, is dealing with the non-smokers who are just downright rude. The ones who will walk through a smoking area and then "fake" cough as loudly and with as much exaggeration as possible. Or the ones on these boards who start these threads....because they're so worried ahead of time, that they almost ruin their own vacation worrying about every little (or big, in their minds) thing. And then they threaten to do as much as they can to make a smoker's life miserable.One person a long time ago actually posted on this board, that they would spray Lysol over onto the verandah next to theirs....AT the smoker...if their neighbor was out there smoking! So someone has threatened to go as far as assault a smoker......
We are human, we have failures, and admittedly, smoking is one of them. But so does EVERYONE. No matter how perfect their little family may seem to be to them, there is always going to be something that someone else could pick on about them. But never does it seem worse than when it comes to the smoking issue. And it's far worse on the Disney Boards than it is on any other travel/cruise board I've been on. Something about "Disney" makes people think that everything should be perfect.
Sorry to say, but it isn't. The people who cruise on Disney are no different than any other people anywhere.
Someone said on another thread that Americans have class. Funny....travel to any other country and their citizens refer to us as "Dirty Americans"...because quite frankly, we're LAZY. We throw things out our car windows, we push to be first in line....the list goes on and on.

I was in the Walt Disney Theater one time and a girl of about 7 years old was behind me. When she was seated, she kicked the back of my seat. When she stood, she had her hands on the back of my chair, thus pulling my hair. I finally turned to the mother and was about to ask her to please control her daughter, when the mother looked at me and said "It's a DISNEY cruise!".....as if to say, I'm sure, that there are kids on a Disney cruise....but does that make it okay for the kids to behave badly and not use manners?

I guess what I'm saying is that nothing is ever going to be perfect or fair.
There are no written rules onboard about the things that a lot of people could claim are offensive to them. Other nasty smells, besides cigarette smoke....kids jamming the elevators or sitting on the stairs so that you can't move around them, adults getting drunk or using bad language....
But there IS a rule about smoking. And if it is allowed in certain places, then smokers have the RIGHT to expect to feel "safe" in those places, and not at the mercy of someone else's judgement.

Unreal......How DARE YOU!!! I challenge you to quote one of my posts to prove that I threatened to make a smokers life miserable. You can't do it.

How about the person that said they would spray Lysol at a smoker and/or their verandah???? Now THAT was a threat! Where are the moderators? JillJill????

Just go have ANOTHER death stick already! Einstein! :lmao:

I'm done with this.... I'm going to have a GREAT :cool1: vacation even if I get stuck near a smoker. I can promise you that! Now for you smokers that get all bent out of shape when you hear someone gagging and coughing :sick:, get over it.... it's natural ..... common sense..... smoke+lungs=cough and gag! :sick:

Ok an honest question here..

I am guilty of giving the evil eye to smokers, making fake coughing noises, and muttering 'whew, that stinks' in that passive aggressive way :goodvibes

From this thread I now understand that it is probably not the best way to go about it. How then do I say something to the smoker? I am very Southern, too polite, and do not want to cause a scene. But I also absolutely can not take the smoke smell.

We were at a children's playground once when this mom lit up right in the middle of the playgroup. I was astounded that she would smoke right in the middle of the little kids! I was very nice about it but did ask her to move way away from us and the kids.
How would I do that when someone is on a veranda? or sits down and starts smoking next to us at the Pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter