Small contract

gmflash88

Mouseketeer
So scouring web info and this site (which has been invaluable), I’m wondering why I wouldn’t buy a smaller 75-100pt contract and rent/transfer the additional points from some of you fine folks when needed vs buying my own 125-150pt contract?
I get that there’s risk with renting and covid emphasized that, but why not just have the smaller contract with the smaller up front investment? Am I missing something?

Thanks all!

So scouring web info and this site (which has been invaluable), I’m wondering why I wouldn’t buy a smaller 75-100pt contract and rent/transfer the additional points from some of you fine folks when needed vs buying my own 125-150pt contract?
I get that there’s risk with renting and covid emphasized that, but why not just have the smaller contract with the smaller up front investment? Am I missing something?

Thanks all!
Transferring will cost a lot more in the long term than owning (same pricing generally as renting) if you're looking to do so regularly. Also there will typically be a premium price on the smaller contracts so your per point cost will be higher on the purchase side of things. Now if you're only thinking about doing it from time to time then yes it can make more sense to not purchase as many points.

Yep, demand for small contracts is high so they generally go for more per point than larger contracts. There also seems to be less of them so you have to search longer for one at your resort/UY.

I've actually looked at the opposite as we likely won't need a ton of points and the per point costs are a lot lower once you go into the triple digits.

Thanks for those replies. I appreciate it.

My thought is that we are looking for a low entry for now and are good with a studio 75% of the time. I figure as long as I can cover a studio at my home resort (still narrowing that down as we really like the newer Murphy bed trend) once a year in low/mid season, I’m good. Then, when we want a 1bd or to go during a more in demand season, we can rent/transfer points.

Gonna have to add another sheet to my workbook I think!

If you rent the points it has to be a different reservation. If use a rental broker than you have some recourse. But otherwise you're just hoping the other owner knows what they're doing. Then you may have to check out and back in.

You can transfer the points in but owners can only transfer out once. So you may not have many owners willing to waste their one transfer on the few points you need.

There are also one-time use points you can buy direct from Disney (as an owner) and use at the shorter window. Those will be expensive and risky depending on the season.

Or, you can do a bank and borrow strategy and go every other year.

If you rent the points it has to be a different reservation. If use a rental broker than you have some recourse. But otherwise you're just hoping the other owner knows what they're doing. Then you may have to check out and back in.

You can transfer the points in but owners can only transfer out once. So you may not have many owners willing to waste their one transfer on the few points you need.

There are also one-time use points you can buy direct from Disney (as an owner) and use at the shorter window. Those will be expensive and risky depending on the season.

Or, you can do a bank and borrow strategy and go every other year.
Thank you! That helps a lot. I understand what you’re saying and agree, I wouldn’t waste a one time transfer to a person needing 25-50pts when I might find someone who is looking for many more.

I think I’ll stick with the original plan and look at the 125-175 contracts that would better suit our actual (likely?) needs.

Do you know what Disney charges for points?

Also, you cannot book online if you have transferred points. You have to call MS to book that stay. You cannot modify a reservation with transferred points on line either. MS has to do that as well.

Thank you! That helps a lot. I understand what you’re saying and agree, I wouldn’t waste a one time transfer to a person needing 25-50pts when I might find someone who is looking for many more.

I think I’ll stick with the original plan and look at the 125-175 contracts that would better suit our actual (likely?) needs.

Do you know what Disney charges for points?

Most important thing is buy where you want to stay. Then you can add-on a smaller amount of points directly later if you need the 1 BR or 2 BR.

Most important thing is buy where you want to stay. Then you can add-on a smaller amount of points directly later if you need the 1 BR or 2 BR.
Oh for sure. While we are staying at OKW in Sept (was moved there by Dis due to closures), we are trying to figure out which studios have the Murphy beds and sort of decide from there since most of our stays will be short and in studios. That’s not a deal breaker, but a significant factor.

I'm considering a transfer as well for my stay this year. My contract (looks like) it will be Poly, does that mean my transfer would have to be from someone with poly points if I want to book 11 months out?

I started with just 25 points. I regret not buying at least 100 right off the bat. We bought another 100 last year and are now in ROFR for another 160. lol If we had started at 200 we'd be sitting pretty right now with no add ons.

Oh for sure. While we are staying at OKW in Sept (was moved there by Dis due to closures), we are trying to figure out which studios have the Murphy beds and sort of decide from there since most of our stays will be short and in studios. That’s not a deal breaker, but a significant factor.

Hi, gmflash88.

I own a small contract at BWV and I usually use a standard studio with a queen bed and a fold-out sofa bed and a small convertible tv table to a short bunk bed.

Otherwise, I usually stay in a Pop Century Resort with a queen bed and a fold-down Murphy queen fold-out that doubles when the fold-out is closed to a table.

I believe the Riviera studio has a fold-out sofa Murphy bed.

I think most of the other DVC studios use a queen bed and a fold-out sofa bed and a small convertible tv table to a short bunk bed.

I stayed in an Old Key West studio and it seemed small with an angular room shape with two beds and no fold-out bed. But I realize it was the first DVC resort. It is probably too difficult to place a sofa bed or Murphy bed.

At my age, I prefer to sit in a comfy chair with arms or a sofa instead of a dining chair. I

A long time ago, I stayed in an Old Key West one-bedroom and the living room was huge.

I'm curious about what you else you find and choose.

Good luck.

DVC Bed/Sleeping Configurations

DVC room occupancy limits:

Last edited:
I'm considering a transfer as well for my stay this year. My contract (looks like) it will be Poly, does that mean my transfer would have to be from someone with poly points if I want to book 11 months out?
Any resort you want to book at 11 months out must be booked with points from that resort. If you want to book the Polynesian at 11 months out, you need to use Polynesian points to do that booking. If you get a transfer, you'll need MS to book that for you. You can't do it on line.

I stayed in an Old Key West studio and it seemed small with an angular room shape with two beds and no fold-out bed. But I realize it was the first DVC resort. It is probably too difficult to place a sofa bed or Murphy bed.
The shape of OKW studios are very different and OKW was the first and those studios are also the largest DVC studio at 455 sq ft. Poly is next at 447. BWV has only 359 sq ft. It’s about 100 sq feet smaller than OKW.

Last edited:
OKW was the first and those studios are also the largest DVC studio at 455 sq ft. Poly is next at 447. BWV has 359 sq ft. It’s about 100 sq feet smaller than OKW. Since OKW has 2 queen beds and a lot of room to walk around them compared to other studios when you open the sofa bed, they get tight real quick. I don’t believe they can put in a sleeper sofa/Murphy bed at OKW. It fits no problem, but the contract states 2 queen beds written in it, so they have to keep them from what I understand.
OKW studios are 390. Poly is the largest at WDW (447), then Riviera (423). HHI is the 455.

I think this a a great strategy to get in the game and see if a larger contract is for you. Especially right now when prices are dropping and small contracts are sticking around a little longer. The other advantage is there is some really good deals on points right now.......

OKW studios are 390. Poly is the largest at WDW (447), then Riviera (423). HHI is the 455.
But most of the space in the Polynesian studios is taken up with bathroom, entrance and kitchenette. Leaving not so much living space. OKW seems like it has tons of living space in the studio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter