• We live close to a beach - driving distance

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • We do not live by a beach - if you go to the beach, please post when

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
This!

We are like Minnesota here in Manitoba with 100,000 lakes. I have camped and swam in Minnesota lakes (Detroit lakes for one!) too and they are awesome!

I HATE swimming in the ocean - will wade only. I hate the feel of salt water and the fear of things that may hurt you. Give me a Manitoba/Minnesota lake any day!

(I do like looking at the ocean....just not swimming in it...)

It seems so odd to hear people here talk about flying for a beach vacation when we are surrounded by so many lovely beaches here within an hour's drive.

Fun fact - we have the world's 10th largest lake here - Lake Winnipeg.
Love this :)

Love Detroit Lakes area - we used to vacation up there a lot. I spent my summers, when young, at a cabin in NW Wisconsin. Absolutely nothing like living in the northwoods of our areas in the summer - pretty much heaven! And, no gators, sharks, jellyfish, or venomous snakes! :)

Love this :)

Love Detroit Lakes area - we used to vacation up there a lot. I spent my summers, when young, at a cabin in NW Wisconsin. Absolutely nothing like living in the northwoods of our areas in the summer - pretty much heaven! And, no gators, sharks, jellyfish, or venomous snakes! :)
I think both Minnesota and Manitoba use to have "Land of 100,000 Lakes" on their license plates. We love Minnesota! If I had to move to the USA I would move to Minnesota as so similar to Manitoba in so many ways.

I live in West Coast Canada close to many beaches and less than 15 minutes away from our closest beach. We tend not to go swimming at beaches unless we go somewhere on vacation ( too much hassle to drag everything there) but will go for walks along the beach. When my girls were younger sometimes we would go to play in the sand,

We live in the “Ocean State”. We go to the coast quite a bit. Don’t lay in he sand-more like sit in rocks, go to dinner.

Until last year we lived about 10 hours' drive from our favorite beach destination. We'd been about about 5 times in the previous 10 years. We're now about 2 hours from several Florida beaches--went to the Atlantic side (Ormond Beach) about 6 weeks ago.

Live on Long Island and use to go to the beach all the time. The last few Nor esters have severely eroded the good beaches, so they are now small and crowded so if you not there by 10 am you're not getting a good spot or even a parking spot.

I live within about an hour-and-a-half's drive to several beaches, and my grandparents lived at the beach in Wildwood, where I spent my summers up until I was 16. As a kid, me and my younger cousins were sent to the beach weekly, sometimes daily if the pool at the hotel where my grandmother and aunts worked wasn't available for one reason or another.

I hate the beach, sorry to all of you who love it. If I could have just sat on the blanket and read a book or people watched I probably would have a different view as an adult, but I was in charge of my younger cousins (3 of them.) It was like herding cats all day. I had to go swimming in the ocean with them. I was really afraid of the ocean because out past your knees you couldn't see the bottom and one time I had stepped on a horseshoe crab and was scared of stepping on another one. I don't like sand in everything, either.

Everyone says to me just wait until you go to the Caribbean or to Mexico. The water is so blue and clear and the sand is pure white. You'll love it. Maybe. But I can't see myself any time soon taking that sort of vacation. I just don't like it. Maybe Hawaii, because there's a lot of other stuff to do and I always wanted to visit Pearl Harbor.

I live about 1 1/2 hours away from the closest beach so I don't go super often. Last year my sister and I did drive to Rehoboth Beach in Delaware which is about 2 hours 40 minutes from where we live for a weekend trip and we loved it. No plans to go back to Rehoboth this year though. However, my entire family and I are doing a week at Disney's Hilton Head resort in August and I am VERY excited! My family jokes that I'm a semi aquatic mammal due to how much I love the beach and swimming LOL

We live close to several beautiful beaches, but we hardly ever go. Maybe once in the last 10 years. Just not interested.

We have a number of (ocean beach) options within a 2-4 hour drive. Some years we might get there a few times and other years none. Last year we made 2 long weekends and 2 day trips, but this year we don't currently have any plans to get there - at least not the coast near us - we will be in the PNW area and do some small amount of beach hiking on olympic peninsula - if that counts. We are okay with the beach in small amounts. 3 nights is pretty much enough for us, we would never be okay spending a whole week there. Freshwater lakes w/ beaches are also good for me for a day as long as they are further north than where we are. We've been in the finger lakes, lake michigan, etc and that has been nice. The southern lakes where we are seem too hot and stagnant for me.

Nope. Not worth it, and the waters here have flesh eating bacteria. The good news about Necrotizing fasciitis is that the beaches are never too crowded.

I see tourist couples hand-in-hand walking barefoot on the beach, not knowing that tomorrow the skin of their feet with slide off like socks.

"Dance today, my lovers, for tomorrow thy feet shall fester!" That's what they'll hear me shouting on days when I visit the beach dressed in my best Family Dollar reaper costume. (I've picked up some unconstructive hobbies to compliment the constructive ones.)

I'm with others I've read here, beach means ocean.

I have Presque Isle in Erie "local" to me. We do take trips there for picnics, about 1.5 hour drive. To me, that's not "going to the beach." That's "going to the lake/Erie/Presque."

I wish I could vacation every year, multiple times a year, because vacation is always at the beach. My vacation partner in crime is broke right now and I can't fund the entire vacation so pretty bummed out there's no beach vacation this year. Maybe later in the fall without any kids, but can't make the plans at this point in time.

I do want to take a solo trip to Ocean City so I can ride my bike up the coast to Rehoboth and back to OC. It looks like it would be a beautiful ride with water on either side of the road for many stretches. Had it planned to drop mom off at our family friends' place in Salisbury and heading by myself to OC, but that was planned in 2020. Well, we know what happened with that.

And, am I the only one who clicks on these, reads the poll selections and wonders all the time what the question is?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 9
I grew up very near a large beach on Lake Erie and I rarely went to the beach as a child. As an adult, I still don't go to the beach too often. I do love a water view, but just don't enjoy the beach.

And, am I the only one who clicks on these, reads the poll selections and wonders all the time what the question is?

Nope! The bar above the choices hasn't worked right since the last board update. Just scroll down to the first post - she always repeats the question there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter