Slinkyman's Wishes Come True Trip Report:DAYS 8 & 9 Added post 193 & 194


<font color=royal blue>One day at a time.<br>Yeste
May 6, 2003
All Slinkyman’s Wishes Came True….

When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you

If your heart is in your dream
No request is too extreme
When you wish upon a star
As dreamers do

Like a bolt out of the blue
Fate steps in and sees you through
When you wish upon a star
Your dreams come true

No truer words can be spoken. For Slinkyman, Smalld, Bug and Bearz these words will forever have a new meaning. There was a bolt out of the blue for all of us and his name is YAVN.

It all began with a letter. I had to thank the people who helped us get through a very difficult time in our lives. At the top of that list were the creators and staff of VMK- the game that helped Ink get through his darkest days. So I sat down one night at 1 am, let my mind clear of all thoughts and wrote a letter to Yavn that came straight from my heart. 2 hours later and many tears I sat looking at letter I could not believe I wrote. It truly came from somewhere within me. Now the next step was to get the courage to e-mail it. I do not normally do things like this. It was a big step. But by this point Ink’s cancer had proved to me that never not take a chance. How would he know how I felt if I did not send it.

So the next day it went off and I proceeded to do my story about Ink for all of you here on the Dis. I thought about my letter for the first few days but since I had not heard back I was loosing hope that it had been read. It was during this time that the letter wring campaign started with all my wonderful friends here on the Dis( many hugs and thanks to all of you!). A week and a half went by and by that point I had put it out of my mind. Then one evening after we finished dinner, I settled at my computer ready to fire up VMK when I checked my e-mail. I had received a reply from Yavn. I sat there shaking. I wanted to open it but also had the fear that he might not be happy that I had e-mailed him directly. With trembling hands and hardly able to breathe I opened the e-mail and started to read. What I remember the most was the tears that just started. He was very kind and had been touched by Ink’s story. He told me that he was going to be in the area around our approximate dates and wanted to know more info on when were going to be there. He very much wanted to meet Slinkyman.

The next several hours were a blur that I don’t remember much. Finally 6 hours later I was able to stop shaking enough to type a reply to him. I gave him our dates and tentative plans and my contact information. The next morning I received an e-mail from a Tiki from Magic Kingdom guest services. Some very special, once in a lifetime experiences had been arranged for us for our trip. I sat in disbelief as I read the e-mail. They wanted it all kept a secret from the boys so they could “pixie dust” them properly. Once again the tears just flowed. I called Smalld’s mother told her and we cried together. Later in report you will hear about these wonderful surprises.

Two days went by with very little eating and sleeping when I received another e-mail from Yavn. This is the e-mail that would change everything. Yavn had adjusted his plans and was coming to spend an entire day and night as our personal tour guides and he was brining Caffdawg with him. Ink would have his dream his special meeting with Yavn and a meeting with a good friend of his on the game Caffdawg. I would have my chance to personally thank the people that made a HUGE difference in our lives. I sent off a thank you reply and tried to go about my day. Needless to say it seemed like my mind was just spinning. What should I do…do I tell the boys or not. Surprise is nice but this was big and I kept thinking they needed time to adjust to the shock so they could talk to him. So much to think about.

That evening during dinner my husband yelled to me that my cell phone was ringing. I ran down the hall to grab it from my computer room. Am I ever happy I answered it! On the other end of the phone was Yavn. I quickly shut my computer room door, grab my chair and managed to sit. I must say he caught me off guard which was good as I managed to carry on a conversation with him. We talked about 15 minutes. Those of you who want to know he was very easy to talk to and I felt comfortable right away. The poor man was probably tired of me thanking him as he said I had thanked them more then enough. We talked about several things one being whether or not to let boys know. We both decided it would be in their best interest to let them know now. Yavn said he wanted them to not be nervous, be relaxed and have fun. He said they were looking forward to seeing us and that the boys would have a blast.

Conversation ended and I came out of the room-time to break the news. I sat at the table and of course Ink asked who called. He must have been able to tell by my face that something was not right as he asked me if I was ok. I told him he was not going to believe who I just talked to. When he said who? I managed to say Yavn and it was like time stopped. He looked at me eyes getting bigger and said no way. I said I would never lie about something like this. I would say he went into a kind of shocked state. I then proceeded to tell him that Yavn was coming to WDW and would be spending an entire day with us. I could see the disbelief in his eyes and he saw the tears in mine. I gave him a big hug and the rest of the night was a blur of excitement and disbelief.

I must admit that the next 3 or 4 days were rough. I could not eat and I slept about 3-4 hours a night. I was excited, nervous, scared and amazed. I was on an emotional roller coaster with highs and excitement 1 minute and swirling down with tears the next. They were happy tears but still a wild ride. This man was giving us the greatest gift a person can give, the gift of time. He was taking time away from his family and his life to spend it with a boy he hardly knew. How would I ever begin to thank him? There are no words great enough for his kindness.

We now had just shy of a month before the big trip. Suddenly the focus went from the cruise to the 3 days at WDW. The joke became what cruise? All focus was on the meeting with Yavn and Dawg. I started to plan the details. I ordered the boys VMK shirts from Zazzle that they would wear for the big day and have Yavn and Caffdawg sign them. We got Silver markers so they could sign the boys Mickey ears and the special hats that Bearz had given both boys when Ink started treatment. I made a special photo that had the castle dream emblem on it. I added the VMK logo and thanks to antjewel who quoted the wish upon a star song in my other post I decided to add the lyrics to the picture. I added a picture of Jiminey cricket and it was done. We would have Yavn and dawg sign the photo-1 for each boy so they could be framed for their rooms.

I also made flats for our trip. I made several sets including a set of us all wearing our VMK dream shirts to give to Yavn. Bearz had said to me that if we give him a set of flats when he is having a bad day at work he can look at them and remember who he works for-our little peeps. I also made a Yavn flat for him to have and a Caffdawg flat for her to have. I have learned that the little details are what make things special.

Left to right: QA_Caffdawg, Host_Lily, CL_smalld, Yavn, CL_slinkyman, Acebugdozer, Laurabearz

During all this time we also made contact with the dream squad girl that we met last trip. She was taking the day off from work to spend with us along with her friend another dream member and a friend of Ink’s on VMK named Ladyvader. What an unbelievable group of people. We had nice talk with boys to explain to them that this was not a normal trip. This trip would not be about the rides but about the people we would be spending time with. This was truly turning into a dream of a lifetime.

Less then a week before trip we had a great phone call. I had mentioned to Yavn that it might ease the boy’s nerves if they talk to him before the meeting. He was kind enough to take the time to call. We had a great conversation. I put my cell phone on speaker so the boys and I could all hear and talk and Yavn and dog were on speaker on their end. Boys were nervous but did well. I really think this help put them at ease some.

The next installments of the report I will do by days. This trip was filled with so much it will be a long trip report. I will be including lots of pictures too. This is a spoiler warning- I will be including pictures of the boys with Yavn, Dawg and TikiT. If you don’t want to see them then please don’t read the rest of the report. I discussed this with Yavn and he said I could post some pictures. You all played an important part in Ink’s recovery and in my ability to make it through each day and it gives us great pleasure to share our great adventure with you all.
To be continued…


<font color=royal blue>One day at a time.<br>Yeste
May 6, 2003
Day 1 Wed April 18th

Cast: Bug-me
Slinkyman’s dad
Smalld Mom

Hard to believe the day had come! Seemed like we were waiting forever for it to arrive and then boom it was here. We were being picked up for our ride to the airport. Make a Wish would not tell us who or what was coming to get us just that a ride had been arranged. Well to the boys delight at 7:30 am a limo pulled up our long driveway. Now the boys and my husband had never been in a limo before so this was very exciting to them and a great way to start the trip off.

While waiting for the plane we decided to have a little fun with our flats and take their picture as they waited also:

And here they are on the plane ready for take off:

Plane ride was uneventful and once we landed we took Magical Express to our hotel- Pop Century and headed off for our first adventure. We were going to Epcot and to our first meeting.
The first meeting was with 2 girls that are dear to our hearts. The boys met one of them on our last trip and her bubbly personality, her love of Disney and her kind ways forever touched the boy’s hearts. Ink connected with her right away and loved her outlook on things. He talked about her all the time after our last trip. I knew I had to get us all together and they were more then eager to see us. The other girl is an avid VMK player like the boys. As you can see from all 4 smiles they were thrilled to see each other!

The next meeting was greatly anticipated by me! After 5 longs months I would get to see my Bearz again. We talk everyday in the game, on the phone, MSn but still nothing like seeing her in person. I was a little nervous to as I have seen her several times but this was my husband’s first visit with her. What would he think? I so wanted him to like her. We were to meet at the main pin station in future world. As we approached it I heard her yell from a distance. Well what was a Bug to do but drop everything and run to her Bearz!

Poor Bearz-I hugged her so tight an unopened bottle of Diet Pepsi she was holding popped spilling soda over the too of us. It was worth it to finally see my Bearz~!!
Also with Bearz were 2 other VMK players she had arranged a meeting with. Nanarules and her grandson Bobthemighty. It was so great to have so many VMK players together. Here is a picture of the 6 of us VMKers:

We all went to dinner together in the Land Pavilion and chatted away about VMK and then we went off to do some rides including the newly refurbished Mexico ride. Was mixed reviews on the ride. I liked it but some did not. After a few hours of fun we watched Illuminations together. Then it was big hugs and goodbyes and back to the hotel with great anticipation by me of the exciting things about to happen the next day!
What’s a kid to do after a day full of excitement?

To be continued…


<font color=royal blue>One day at a time.<br>Yeste
May 6, 2003
Day 2 April 19th

I woke up early anxious to start the day as I knew whet lay ahead but the boys head no idea. Today was Magic kingdom day from open to close. There was a lot going on today and the boys did not know most of it. Today the 5 of us were to meet up with Bearz and her friend, our 2 “dream’ girls and luvthattink and her family. Would be a huge gang today! The first order of the day of course was our stop at VMK central to get our quest cards. Sadly no new quests were outL. I decided it was time for a flat picture and found the perfect spot:

We rounded everyone up and decided to try and get something done. We proceeded to Monster’s Inc Laugh Floor. Everyone thought it was a great hit and loved it. Here is Bearz and my husband waiting in line-I really like this picture of them and they seem to hit it off great yay!

The next thing we decided to do was to get the VMK players in the group together for a picture in Tomorrowland. So here we all are:

By this time it was time for lunch. We had reservations at Tony’s Towne Square and headed there. The boys like to each lunch at this restaurant an Ink’ favorite is the baked Ziti. While waiting I pulled out the flats and looked for a good place for a picture:

The food was great but not as great as the company. Not everyone went but we still had a great group and had lots of fun!

Unfortunately we finished lunch a little to fast. We had to be at town hall at 1:15 and it was 12:40 and needed to stall. We knew we did not have time to walk to a ride and then come back. Of course the boys were driving us crazy as they wanted to go on rides and had no idea something was about to happen. We stalled best we could and said we had to go into the emporium and they could wait but I think they stated to think something was up. Here is ink finding a nice way to kill some time:

Finally it was near 1:15 and I rounded up the gang and we headed to Town Hall. We were meeting someone there. Someone the boys know from the game who works at Magic Kingdom. I could see him waiting for us as we approached-Finally the boys would know. As we got closer and the boys spotted him and recognized him from a picture they saw of him on his website. They both got big smiles as they realized they were about to meet TikiT.
TikiT has been on Ink’s friend list a long time. I knew he would be thrilled to be meeting him. I had managed to keep it a secret but it was not easy and the beans were almost spilled a couple of times. The meeting went great. The boys loved him right away.

Tiki had a very special surprise for us. He had a bag and out of it he pulled some special Mickey ears. They were the blue dream ears with the blinking lights. What made these hats so special is what was on them. For a year and a half the boys have wanted their VMK names on ears and I was unsuccessful at getting them. Well when he pulled them from the bag I heard bears scream first lol. We were so excited. These ears were going to be worn for a special surprise the boys did not know about yet.

Tiki told the boys he had some special things planned and we were to follow him. We all proceeded to walk down main street towards the castle. I could see the look in Ink’s face he was dying to know what was going on. We went into the area of the castle and he told us to wait against the wall. He disappeared for a few minutes and then came back to break the news. He told the boys that we were going on a special tour of the new Cinderella Suite that is given away each night by the Dream team. Here was the look on ink’s face:

We were all taken up into the castle via a small elevator to a foyer area. Ink was given a room key and the honors of letting us in:

The room was beautiful. There were deep rich woods and beds that had massive head boards and beautiful bedspreads on them. There was the main bedroom, a sitting area and the bathroom with beautiful mosaic tile murals on the wall. All was beautifully done. The only real thing that surprised me was the size of the space. It was much smaller then I had imagined it would be. Here are a few photos from inside:

We decided to do a group photo of all of us up in the castle.

We looked around for a while asked a few questions. Then it was time for us to pull a surprise on Tiki. You see Tiki is an artist. He designs some of the VMK pins our peeps wear. While exploring his website I discovered he had a print he designed for sale. We decided to buy 2 copies and have him sign them and we would frame them for the boy’s rooms. You should have seen the look on his face when we pulled them out. I think he was very excited that we asked him to sign them and the boys now own their first signed artwork.

Well the castle tour had to come to an end we all left the beautiful suite. However the surprises were not over yet. Tiki told us to follow him and we headed out to Frontierland over by Splash Mountain. I could see the puzzle look on the boy’s faces and I got the camera ready. Tiki came up behind them and started to give a speech to the boys about their bravery and kindness of thinking of others during our ordeal and that he had a special treat for them. I caught the look on the boy’s faces just after he announced to them that we would be the Grand marshal’s in the parade that day!

At this point I could feel the tears wanted to come and I had to fight them back. This was a happy moment no tears needed. The boys worked hard to get to this point and I wanted to enjoy every minute of it. The boys were in disbelief but also sheer excitement. We were taken backstage given a quick lesson on eye contact and waving and put into one of the Walt Disney Cars. We were told the entire route would take about 14 minutes to cover and they would be announcing our names!

Those of you who wonder what the view was like from in the car Bearz snapped a picture as we were going down main street and to me it was the most emotional part of the ride as we rounded the bend and I could see the train station up ahead and we were really going doing main street in the parade!

Here are a few random pictures of us in the parade-a memory we will never forget and oh by the way waving non-stop for 15 minutes is not as easy as you may think. Luvthattink was up on the train station and she befriended a man next to her who sent her some shots he took so the following pictures are from her and him:

When the parade was finished they had a special viewing area for us and we met up with the rest of our group there. Here we all are in our matching dream shirts that we made with our matching ears:

Sadly the time had come to say goodbye to our new wonderful new friend TikiT. But to us it is not goodbye but until we meet again. We posed for one last picture had hugs all around. Tiki thanks for a most wonderful day full of lifelong memories and filled with so much Disney Magic. Once again thank you is not enough

With the parade behind us it was time to continue our day. Bearz really wanted to see the pirate show over by the Pirates ride so we headed that way. I have seen this show twice now and it is not to be missed. It is wonderful. Jack is awesome as well as the other pirate playing with him. I would easily sit and watch it again. Here are a few photos from the show:

After the show the rest of the time was spent as a group doing rides. Slowly as the evening wore on the group started to dwindle as people left. We were going to stay for wishes but the excitement of the day had got to the boys and they were tired so I said I was fine with going back to the room. I have wishes memorized in my heart and will see it again soon. Going back turned out to be a wise choice. We all went to sleep that night with great anticipation of the next day, Friday was “the” day. We would be meeting Yavn and Caffdawg at Magic Kingdom in the morning. They had all ready called to tell us they arrived safely and we were just waiting for morning to arrive. Little did I know it would turn out to be the longest night of my life……
To be continued
  • SorcererDonald16

    DIS Veteran
    Mar 19, 2005
    Bug, I'm sitting here with tears running down my face. Such a magical story for such deserving people. I can't wait to read the rest. :grouphug:


    <font color=blue>Did the Tag Fairy see POTC2?</fon
    Jun 4, 2006
    I've got a wide grin on my face...

    I'm not one to enjoy Trip Reports, but here I am: anxiously awaiting the next installment. What a trip! :wizard:
  • birdmom

    Aug 12, 2006
    Just in case you were wondering tears do not run off a parrot like they do a duck! All my neck feathers are soaking wet!:sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: that is such a great story I cant wait for the rest


    DIS Veteran
    Mar 12, 2007
    I can't WAIT to see the pictures of you guys with Yavn and Dawg!!!!! :yay:

    That must have been so amazing to get all those special tours. And to be in the parade! :woohoo: You TOTALLY and COMPLETELY deserved it!


    <font color=deeppink>I cant load my bobbin!<br><fo
    Nov 25, 2001
    I love hugging bug bug!!! YAY

    Here are a few more photos from that day...

    This one is of luvthatink's son and myself with a familar character..

    THE Slipper and crown, worth over a million dollars!!

    And two shots looking out the castle windows...



    <font color=deeppink>Not invisible to the Tag Fair
    Sep 5, 2005
    I'm sitting here reading and trying not to cry. I'm not being to successful at it.

    This is truly a magical story so far!

    Can't wait to read the rest and cry some more!:goodvibes
  • dudekittycat

    Earning My Ears
    Apr 15, 2007
    THE Slipper and crown, worth over a million dollars!!

    oooo me like....i think i will tell daddy to get this for me for my wedding day!!

    It seems so far everyone has had a wonderful time and cant wait to hear more!! I am thinking about volunteering for Make A Wish to make peoples wishes come true like great people like you all!!


    I'm Penny, The Cheese and "Dude.all" King!<br><fon
    Nov 12, 2005
    :sad: :sad: :sad:

    I was and still am crying at my computer reading this. It's a good thing these are all not up at once - I'd flood my room!

    Dreams really do come true :) That trip would probably be one of the most magical moments on ink's childhood life.

    Diva of Dragons

    <font color=brown>Tiger here!!<br><font color=lime
    Oct 5, 2000
    So far, sooooo incredibly amazing!!!! I am so happy for Ink and all of you!! I think this will go down in history as the best WDW trip report ever....and it just got started!!!:yay:


    DIS Veteran
    May 23, 2005
    This is so cool, thanks for the trip report, can't wait to read more of your magical trip. Sooo cute that you guys made "flats" of your avatars ... please post more pics too.


    Sep 17, 2005
    I cried with happiness while reading this because all of Ink's dreams are coming true. I was happy to see all of your faces now I can recognise you when we meet in October 13th I can't wait! We have to go on Splash Mountain and get a photo together with our flats! Have fun on the rest of your trip. Best wishes to all of you.


    DIS Veteran
    Mar 12, 2006
    I'm sitting here reading and trying not to cry. I'm not being to successful at it.

    This is truly a magical story so far!

    Can't wait to read the rest and cry some more!:goodvibes
    Exact same situation here!

    I...don't know what to say. I just can't believe someone would do something like that, just after you telling him a story and how much it meant to you? WOW!

    At first I think of it as you just being excited...but then I realized just how much it means to you to see someone be that generous without even knowing you. I know personally that yavn is a really nice person, but never thought that someone would ever do something like that.

    As everyone else said, I can't wait for the next installment! Especially because this is like the climax.



    TPAS Moderator
    Sep 17, 2004
    I got the opportunity to meet Ink in person, on day 2 of their trip. Ink's story and the part smalld played in it are truely inspirational. Ink's braveness and courage, and smalld's incredible selflessness and friendship are truely touching. So glad their wishes and dreams came true on this trip! They are 2 very wonderful and deserving boys.

    I had planned to get on top of the train station early to get pics of them as the parade marshal. When I got there, the best spots were taken. I asked a wonderful couple from Ohio if I could possibly take their spot to take pics of the parade marshal, then I'd leave. This couple was incredible. Not only did they allow me to squeeze in, they asked for my email addy, and they said they'd email the pics to me.

    As I stood there between them, we saw the car coming, then heard the announcement for the parade marshall. Tears streamed down my face and my hands literally began to shake at the announcement of his name.

    The other day I received an email, and sure enough it was the pictures from that couple from Ohio. So the pics posted already of the parade with the date on them, are courtesy of those dear people.


    Mouseketeer and DIS Veteran
    Aug 17, 1999
    Tissues for everyone!

    Thank you so much for sharing this amazing trip with all of us. I can't tell you how happy I am that Ink's "Dreams" came true.

    I am anxiously waiting to hear more of your magical journey. :hug:


    Disney News and Updates

    Get Daily Email Updates