Slinky Dog Coaster

Probably for the better. Maybe it will help the crowds a TINY bit that it won't be open for summer.
It could be as hot as Tatooine on a summer afternoon, as cold as a blizzard on Hoth at midnight, as wet as Dagobah during a hurricane - and the Coruscant-level crowds will STILL blow up SW:GE when it opens like Alderaan on a bad day.

I doubt that. The crowds will come for this no matter what.
Oh I know that. It still will be nothing I, personally, am willing to bear for probably at least a year. But there might be a few people who can't make it due to time of year! Any little bit of relief.

I've never managed to be at Disney during a soft opening before, but it looks like it could happen for this one! I'm not getting my hopes up - we'll be there the 13th-19th, and I imagine odds are better the following week. But it would be nice!

How does Disney usually do soft opening? We caught one at IOA once when we just happened to be in the Kong area as they were opening it up to let some people try it out - I'm assuming it's a similar process at Disney?

I've never managed to be at Disney during a soft opening before, but it looks like it could happen for this one! I'm not getting my hopes up - we'll be there the 13th-19th, and I imagine odds are better the following week. But it would be nice!

How does Disney usually do soft opening? We caught one at IOA once when we just happened to be in the Kong area as they were opening it up to let some people try it out - I'm assuming it's a similar process at Disney?
It depends. Sometimes it will be just right place right time. Other times they'll have scheduled previews for people like AP and DVC.

It depends. Sometimes it will be just right place right time. Other times they'll have scheduled previews for people like AP and DVC.

My only soft opening was summer 1999 (I think early July).. Rock'N'Roller Coaster. I was there after not being there for many years, or the way to the Tower of Terror and it was real low key. There was a sign that said something to the effect that you could tour the building, walked in (no one else was walking in.. we were alone in there), there was 1 ride operator helping people onto the ride. Rode it about 5-6 times without even getting off. It was absolutely amazing.

I'm sure these days with all the social media and forums soft openings aren't the same as that (I imagine they get crowded?).

We went to Sea World San Antonio this past weekend and tried their new roller coaster Wave Breaker: The Rescue Coaster. After riding it, I thought SDD could be very similar, especially since Wave Breaker has 2 launches. It was a very fun ride!

I've only been to one and it was for Nemo subs at Disneyland. We had been there on our last planned day adn they were doing previews for AP holders. That evening we got a packet in our room for passes to ride it the next day and tickets into the park for anotehr day as DVC members.

We went to Sea World San Antonio this past weekend and tried their new roller coaster Wave Breaker: The Rescue Coaster. After riding it, I thought SDD could be very similar, especially since Wave Breaker has 2 launches. It was a very fun ride!

i could see that - though the height restriction for that is 48", I would think Slinky Dog would be more like 7DMT which is only 38" (though perhaps it is more to do with the seating style vs a more traditional seat in Slinky Dog) - make me think it might be slightly less intense

Slinky Dog Dash will get consistent 2 to 3 hour waits and from the concept art, the queue looks mostly outdoors...

I can't shake the feeling that this thing is gonna be disappointing. The whole land just seems cheap and quick.

I can't shake the feeling that this thing is gonna be disappointing. The whole land just seems cheap and quick.
Really? I love all the detail they are putting in, and it looks to be quite a bit to see and look around. By all reports the saucer ride will be almost exactly like Mater's in DCA, but I am hoping beyond hope at times the "claw" comes down like its going to get you. That would be fun.

Its not perfect, but it looks pretty good from the model pictures that are out.

Really? I love all the detail they are putting in, and it looks to be quite a bit to see and look around. By all reports the saucer ride will be almost exactly like Mater's in DCA, but I am hoping beyond hope at times the "claw" comes down like its going to get you. That would be fun.

Its not perfect, but it looks pretty good from the model pictures that are out.

Yeah, I am more excited with what we see - i think it will be really neat to be in the land and the coaster is zipping by. I do think the land as a whole is still short an attraction or 2 (even something small like a play area or spinner) but I think the details should be great!

I agree. I think it looks great overall, and especially when compared to the other Toy Story lands at other parks. Those ones a look pretty cheap with just 3 small flat rides. Tis one le has a dark r, roller coaster, flat ride, and quick serve food. Would like to see at least one more ride added eventually though to round it out . Looks like there would be room for another flat ride.

I agree. I think it looks great overall, and especially when compared to the other Toy Story lands at other parks. Those ones a look pretty cheap with just 3 small flat rides. Tis one le has a dark r, roller coaster, flat ride, and quick serve food. Would like to see at least one more ride added eventually though to round it out . Looks like there would be room for another flat ride.
I think they haven't confirmed another ride because of height limitations/capacity. I know porting over RC and the parachutes from the other lands would've violated that imaginary height policy since every tall thing they tore down was for galaxy's edge. That would leave slinky, which I believe shanghai is either retheming to woody or is the alien ride, but regardless would be too low capacity. Irks me to be honest because it's a short land but I'm looking forward to it

I think a ride like th eSlinky Dog Spin woudl be fun. Obviously it owuld need to be rethemed since we have a Slinky Dog coaster but maybe theme it to Woody's Round Up. Could make it a little different too and use a simlar style ride liek the Mack Sea Storm. It looks alot of fun and has good capacity and still fit in with the family level thrills for the area being something the whole family could enjoy.

I think they haven't confirmed another ride because of height limitations/capacity. I know porting over RC and the parachutes from the other lands would've violated that imaginary height policy since every tall thing they tore down was for galaxy's edge. That would leave slinky, which I believe shanghai is either retheming to woody or is the alien ride, but regardless would be too low capacity. Irks me to be honest because it's a short land but I'm looking forward to it

could have taken something from a Bug's Land and rethemed it - could have done Flick's Flyers but made out of Toy parts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!