Slinky Dog Coaster

If you use the technical definition, BS is not a mouse coaster. It'd be called a junior coaster. You'll also see SM occasionally referred to as a mouse coaster or mouse-style coaster (even though it doesn't fit the definition either). Best guess is that these all have similar thrills (going back to the OP) - small profiles, small drops and lower speeds than traditional coasters that are spread out, go faster and have big drops. So the terminology gets lazy. Plus it's Disney - we want any excuse to call something a mouse.

I've never seen either of those coasters referred to as mouse coasters.

Remember that this coaster has two launches, so even though it will slow down as it reaches the launch, it should be moving pretty fast through most of it.

Considering the top speed of every coaster at WDW is around 35 mph (exception being RnRC), I would say looking a the layout, the launches won't be much more than that. I good comparison is Knott's Pony Express: https://www.knotts.com/play/rides/pony-express

Nothing more than the video(s). Seems hardly worth sending out the media package for that.
I suppose it got people talking about Toy Story land and not Star Wars for a few minutes.

Yes, I was hoping for an opening date. Was also particularly hopeful, since with how quickly construction appears to be progressing, that they would move it up to March/April instead of Summer.

Considering the top speed of every coaster at WDW is around 35 mph (exception being RnRC), I would say looking a the layout, the launches won't be much more than that. I good comparison is Knott's Pony Express: https://www.knotts.com/play/rides/pony-express

I believe Expedition Everest gets to 50 MPH, but point made

I think the Pone Express isn't a bad comparison - though with a 2nd launch and looks a bit longer. Plus the turns are more banked so could feel a bit more thrilling

I think the Pone Express isn't a bad comparison - though with a 2nd launch and looks a bit longer. Plus the turns are more banked so could feel a bit more thrilling

It does officially. I'm always amazed Space Mountain doesn't hit 30mph. I can ride my bike faster than SM, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

No Yeti - EE doesn't exist. LOL! That one skipped my mind....

And yes, Pony Express is quite short, but it's geared for families. Light launch, airtime hills and gentle banked turns. On the larger scale, would be Cedar Point's Maverick. I'd say Slinky falls into the thrill level or Pony Express, but the length of Maverick.

On the larger scale, would be Cedar Point's Maverick. I'd say Slinky falls into the thrill level or Pony Express, but the length of Maverick.

Slinky isn't anywhere close to the length of Maverick, which is 4500 feet long. I'd guess Slinky is pretty close to around half that, maybe 2500 tops. 7DMT is about 2000 feet, for comparison.

It does officially. I'm always amazed Space Mountain doesn't hit 30mph. I can ride my bike faster than SM, but it sure doesn't feel like it.
Space Mountain just feels so much faster though, and more intense to me than Everest and Rip Ride Rockit in Universal if we're speaking

Slinky isn't anywhere close to the length of Maverick, which is 4500 feet long. I'd guess Slinky is pretty close to around half that, maybe 2500 tops. 7DMT is about 2000 feet, for comparison.

I'm comparing coasters with launches (Intamin).

Yes, I was hoping for an opening date. Was also particularly hopeful, since with how quickly construction appears to be progressing, that they would move it up to March/April instead of Summer.

Disney knows better than that. You open two months early you did a nice job. You open one day late you are completely incompetent. They aren't going to adjust or set a date until they are 100% sure they can hit it.

Disney knows better than that. You open two months early you did a nice job. You open one day late you are completely incompetent. They aren't going to adjust or set a date until they are 100% sure they can hit it.
If Disney really wanted they could have this land open by Christmas but they will stick to their Memorial Day weekend opening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter