Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

You and me both. EVERY. TIME. I get on the monorail heading from the MK to the TTC I stare at this path and just wish this would make the "to-do" list.
Yeah, this one seems like a quick hit. Wonder what the concerns are preventing it....water frontage/gators? The canal crossing that the electrical floats come through? Lighting for evening use?

Yeah, this one seems like a quick hit. Wonder what the concerns are preventing it....water frontage/gators? The canal crossing that the electrical floats come through? Lighting for evening use?

I think it also has something to do with the ferry boat as that is the access point used to get it in and out of MK.

You and me both. EVERY. TIME. I get on the monorail heading from the MK to the TTC I stare at this path and just wish this would make the "to-do" list.

I had this same thought staring at the path that almost goes from MK to the GF...So close, but no enchiladas...

I think it also has something to do with the ferry boat as that is the access point used to get it in and out of MK.
I'm not sure about the relative sizes of the different boats but they solved this same issue in Epcot with a draw bridge.

I had this same thought staring at the path that almost goes from MK to the GF...So close, but no enchiladas...

We were missing tortillas once...Had everything thing else...So close

Kind of like that walkway under the monorail...Just need a bridge...So close, but not quite... Although I'm not sure they could use a drawbridge likebthe one at Epcot, due to the monorail...They might be able to do a swing out type bridge

We were missing tortillas once...Had everything thing else...So close

Kind of like that walkway under the monorail...Just need a bridge...So close, but not quite... Although I'm not sure they could use a drawbridge likebthe one at Epcot, due to the monorail...They might be able to do a swing out type bridge

Or a gondola ;)

The ferry boats park behind BLT. I have seen them go by on several stays. I think the only thing back in that little canal is the water pageant barges.

The ferry boats park behind BLT. I have seen them go by on several stays. I think the only thing back in that little canal is the water pageant barges.

I have the feeling that Disney would like to avoid the problem (i.e. cost) of patrolling and maintaining a large network of footpaths and bridges. As much as people would enjoy a casual hike or jog around the lagoon and between all the parks and hotels, it wouldn't exactly lead to revenue enhancement. Unless they position beer carts every 100 yards ... but dedicated walkers and runners are not exactly the beer-drinking, souvenir-buying types ... more like "frugal and fitness conscious".

The entire greater Orlando area seems to be anti-pedestrian by design. Did you ever try to use online maps to find a resort so close to an attraction that you could walk to it, only to zoom in and find that there are no sidewalks, crosswalks or pedestrian traffic signals? The authorities would prefer that you stay inside your nice, safe vehicle and do your walking only inside the theme park or mall. With wallet in hand.

I have the feeling that Disney would like to avoid the problem (i.e. cost) of patrolling and maintaining a large network of footpaths and bridges. As much as people would enjoy a casual hike or jog around the lagoon and between all the parks and hotels, it wouldn't exactly lead to revenue enhancement. Unless they position beer carts every 100 yards ... but dedicated walkers and runners are not exactly the beer-drinking, souvenir-buying types ... more like "frugal and fitness conscious".

The entire greater Orlando area seems to be anti-pedestrian by design. Did you ever try to use online maps to find a resort so close to an attraction that you could walk to it, only to zoom in and find that there are no sidewalks, crosswalks or pedestrian traffic signals? The authorities would prefer that you stay inside your nice, safe vehicle and do your walking only inside the theme park or mall. With wallet in hand.

Beer carts please. I like to walk and spend money.

Does anyone find it odd that the proposed route avoids going over any existing structures except for the entirety of CBR Aruba section (buildings, pool and beach) and Jamaica? If this indeed is the route, do you envision these structures staying as is?

Does anyone find it odd that the proposed route avoids going over any existing structures except for the entirety of CBR Aruba section (buildings, pool and beach) and Jamaica? If this indeed is the route, do you envision these structures staying as is?
Well we do know based on some permits that some buildings are being demolished so it's possible they could be demolished. However the gondola can go over buildings.

Well we do know based on some permits that some buildings are being demolished so it's possible they could be demolished. However the gondola can go over buildings.
Yes, gondolas can go over buildings. See image below that shows direct route over beach, pool and buildings. Just strikes me as odd that the would build the gondola system with towers through here.

Disney_CB_over.png

What I can imagine, is additional DVC buildings.
Disney_CB_DVC.png

Yes, gondolas can go over buildings. See image below that shows direct route over beach, pool and buildings. Just strikes me as odd that the would build the gondola system with towers through here.

View attachment 223486

What I can imagine, is additional DVC buildings.
View attachment 223487
Do they necessarily need all of those towers? A lot of gondolas don't have that many towers especially when hey go over something like a lake.

Do they necessarily need all of those towers? A lot of gondolas don't have that many towers especially when hey go over something like a lake.
Was thinking the same thing, I was wondering if they would need many (or any) other than the main junction points.

based solely on distance, towers aren't necessary. I read about a rough limit of 1km between points depending on factors. The distance here is less than 700m.

If you want to gain elevation, though, at least one tower would be necessary, probably two (but likely not three). The plans don't show the height of the proposed gondola buildings, but I presume that loading/unloading would be close to ground level thus requiring a tower(s) to gain some elevation.

But it would just be Disney's style to raze Jamaica and Aruba, build more DVC and have the gondola go through those buildings:

Disney_CB_through.png .

Also wondering, I know this is PURE speculation and just thinking of cool stuff disney likely wont do. But depending on the height of these things ... and a rumor I read somewhere recently that CBR is going to be 10 stories high ... couldn't these things potentially run right through the building ? or Stop on top of if or something as a loading/unloading station ? Ala monorail at contemporary ?

Would be neat, no idea if thats even possible though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter