Skyliner issues a week in??

DVC Fanatic

Mouseketeer
Saw this on social media, does anyone think this will be a larger issue going forward?441804

Probably going to be a few weeks to work out all the kinks, I’m sure they did their best before people were loaded on, but like anything else, until it goes “live” little things always turn up.

Probably going to be a few weeks to work out all the kinks, I’m sure they did their best before people were loaded on, but like anything else, until it goes “live” little things always turn up.
Uhhhh it is “live” and this seems like a major incident. People are reporting they’ve been stuck for almost two hours, and there are pictures on Twitter of people being taken away in stretchers (probably due to heat but still...)

I know it is “live”, and things like this were bound to happen, that’s why you wouldn’t find me on these till after a few months. I hope everyone is okay.

I hope everyone is ok as well, as it does seem like the evac process is taking longer than many expected. I wonder if the Skyliner will be shut down tomorrow, or if it will resume normal operations?

Anyone who has witnessed or had to deal with a ski lift evacuation, would know that it always takes longer than they say it will, and of course the bean counters always cut the response team manpower to the bare bones.

I’d think the Epcot / Riviera /CBR line will be down indefinitely until they make a full investigation of the Riviera station (it’s different than the other stations)

I’m sure the whole system will be taken off line until bombadiers engineers can take a look at it, along with a whole lot of state inspectors.

Hopefully its not anything too serious.
But, I bet it will be down for a while as they fix it.

Wow. 3 hours waiting for evacuation? :oops:

I loved the photos posted on Twitter of the notepad found in the emergency kit.

Can you imagine a 3 hour mishap in August during the heat of the day? Notes would be small potatoes ... it would be a public relations nightmare

Yeah this isn't a good development, I hope they can figure out what went wrong so it doesn't happen again. I wouldn't want to be stuck in one of these gondola's for a few hours in the heat of the day or anytime for that matter. I hope everybody is ok.

Another post says they were directing the riders from IG to BW to get busses to the other resorts. As a BW owner this doesn't make me happy, this will greatly impact the boat transportation to the Epcot resorts. Also they should be directing the stranded riders to the front gate, BC/YC/S&D as well as BW, BW shouldn't have to get all the extra foot traffic. I know that this may come off as selfish but I'm being honest and this was always a concern for me when this whole project was announced. What would the impact be to IG for the guest staying at the Epcot area resorts? Well I guess we are getting a glimpse into what may be and it doesn't look good to me. :sad2:

Last edited:
Yeah this isn't a good development, I hope they can figure out what went wrong so it doesn't happen again. I wouldn't want to be stuck in one of these gondola's for a few hours in the heat of the day or anytime for that matter. I hope everybody is ok.

Another post says they were directing the riders from IG to BW to get busses to the other resorts. As a BW owner this doesn't make me happy, this will greatly impact the boat transportation to the Epcot resorts. Also they should be directing the stranded riders to the front gate, BC/YC/S&D as well as BW, BW shouldn't have to get all the extra foot traffic. I know that this may come off as selfish but I'm being honest and this was always a concern for me when this whole project was announced. What would the impact be to IG for the guest staying at the Epcot area resorts? Well I guess we are getting a glimpse into what maybe and it doesn't look good to me. :sad2:

I’m with you, but I think It will happen again... it’s man made. I would bet that Disney gondolas will be the most heavily used system ever installed which will require strict maintenance. They need speed for air flow but congestion in the station looks like they don’t have room for error. Maybe space the cabins out on the cable wider until employees and technicians understand it’s flaws

Wow!!!!
This is NOT good!!!!
A ton of money was spent on the Gondola and a big selling point of Riviera.
If this is not fixed quickly....there will be a ripple effect felt thru Wdw...

I’m sure the whole system will be taken off line until bombadiers engineers can take a look at it, along with a whole lot of state inspectors.
Doppelmayr is the maker of the gondolas. Bombardier makes the monorail. We had just left WDW earlier in the day. Rode the Skyliner from HS all the way to Epcot and back. Just a couple of pauses. This is not good. Hopefully they can figure out what went wrong fast and fix it.

Testing out the system this morning. CMs at the EPCOT station said they probably won’t be back up today.

I also found out that when Rivera opens, that they have a plan in place at busy times to make sure cars come empty from CBR to ensure it’s not full with guests from Pop and AoA.

They can radio ahead to add more empty cars, or will be loading only every other one so people at Rivera will have cars to get in. This was my concern and glad to know that they have a way to ensure that the loading at Rivera will be okay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!