Skipper Canteen vs. Liberty Tree Tavern

hllb

DIS Veteran
Which would you recommend for dinner at MK? We had planned on Chef Mickey that night, but I think I'd rather eat in the park and catch the fireworks (we have other character meals).

We've eaten at Liberty Tree Tavern before and it was good (my family liked it more than I did as I'm not a big fan of turkey). But, the dessert they have now looks amazing! I think it was the apple thing when we went (and I don't like cooked apples).

But, I keep hearing good things about Skipper Canteen too and the menu looks good.

Boy. I can't think of any two places that are more dissimilar, so comparing them is difficult. I would think that one's culinary leanings would have them favoring one over the other quite strongly, with neither choice being wrong. For us, when we dine out, we prefer going to places that use and serve ingredients and preparations that are not typical. So we would choose "Fish Collar" over "Roast Turkey" every time. But I can easily see how others would come out on the exact opposite end of that scale.

We ate at LTT 2 weeks ago. The food was good, nothing special. Good comfort food. The dessert was really good.
We prefer the atmosphere and food at Skipper Canteen much better, but we also like food other than typical that you can get anywhere. We also love the Jungle Cruise and all of their bad jokes and you get more of the same at this restaurants.
I think it really depends what style of food you prefer to eat.

I like Liberty tree for lunch, of the two for dinner I would go with Skippers canteen good food and fun experience!

We ate at both on our trip last month. I think all of us preferred Skipper Canteen, but LTT was good also. They are just totally different. If you like basic American food, LTT is your choice. If you like Asian or African spices and flavors, Skipper Canteen would be your choice. One example - if you get Mac and cheese at LTT it’s Mac and cheese. If you get the pasta at Skipper, it is spiced so it tastes a bit like a bowl of chili. Both are good, but they are totally different.

We ate at LTT 2 weeks ago. The food was good, nothing special. Good comfort food. The dessert was really good.
We prefer the atmosphere and food at Skipper Canteen much better, but we also like food other than typical that you can get anywhere. We also love the Jungle Cruise and all of their bad jokes and you get more of the same at this restaurants.
I think it really depends what style of food you prefer to eat.

I am curious about the experience aspect of Skippers....you mentioned the Jungle Cruise jokes. Is there wandering entertainment? Or is it the CM wait staff providing the humor? Is it a large part of the experience of just a minor diversion?

I am curious about the experience aspect of Skippers....you mentioned the Jungle Cruise jokes. Is there wandering entertainment? Or is it the CM wait staff providing the humor? Is it a large part of the experience of just a minor diversion?
I have eaten there twice for lunch and it was the CM staff providing the humor. The theming, though, is very detailed and I would recommend spending a few minutes looking at the stuff on the walls

I also love the food and would recommend it. But keep in mind the menu is quite different than the typical MK fare

As mentioned, the jungle cruise jokes are told by the CM staff. Both times we have had really fun CM wait on us. They could toss out really bad puns in rapid succession. Really fun. My wife and daughter also went in the spring and had a similar experience. There are 3 different rooms, so make sure you wonder around and check out all the rooms.

I have dined at both we great meals at each. However I thought the food was better at LTT.

we liked Skipper Canteen. I find a la carte to be generally less expensive (if you aren't on the dining plan) than the family style/buffet/aycte places... food quality is better too. I had the tastes like chicken.. Kids had their version of chicken nuggets. My mom was grossed out by the head on shrimp.. and I was like, "Mom, it said head on? What part of that didn't you understand??" She said it was tasty but she couldn't get past the heads. LOL. I'm not put off by things like that... bring me a whole fish and I will dive right in. MMM.

Also our skipper was really great. He had great delivery and quick on his feet responses!

I ate at Skipper Canteen once this past May and would never return. I thought the food was horrible but this might've been just a really bad experience I had. I ate at Liberty Tree Tavern a bunch of times. It's nothing special but good food. Based on my experiences I would go with Liberty Tree Tavern.

The food is very different that is true. I am a person who isn't the biggest fan of turkey dinner either, so if it were me i would have to choose skippers every time. I think it is the best restaurant in MK besides CRT and well maybe BOG. Skippers just has unique foods that i was not used to having and i am always up for new flavors, so if youre the type of person that likes to get away from the "norm" i would highly recommend skippers :)

I ate at Skipper Canteen once this past May and would never return. I thought the food was horrible but this might've been just a really bad experience I had.
Just curious, what did you order? I have eaten there twice and enjoyed it thoroughly both times

DH and I have eaten at both restaurants and we would choose Skippers Canteen. LTT is good comfort food. We just enjoyed the variety at SC.

we liked Skipper Canteen. I find a la carte to be generally less expensive (if you aren't on the dining plan) than the family style/buffet/aycte places... food quality is better too. I had the tastes like chicken.. Kids had their version of chicken nuggets. My mom was grossed out by the head on shrimp.. and I was like, "Mom, it said head on? What part of that didn't you understand??" She said it was tasty but she couldn't get past the heads. LOL. I'm not put off by things like that... bring me a whole fish and I will dive right in. MMM.

Also our skipper was really great. He had great delivery and quick on his feet responses!

How was the chicken? Their menu looks good to me. I mean, I don't do food with heads either, but plenty of other things on there LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter