Silver Lake Resort

GunnarH

Earning My Ears
Has anyone had any experience with this hotel?

I have always stayed on property, but my mother in law has a timeshare with this resort and already booked rooms in June for that whole side of the family to stay on vacation.

Just curious if anyone has any advice on the good or bad there and around it.

It doesn’t appear from their website that they have any “in house” transportation options so it seems like the best route will be to rent a car and drive to the respective parks’ parking lots each day unless someone has any alternative advice.

Thanks!

You will definitely want a car, even if there is a shuttle. Offsite shuttles tend to be infrequent and not particularly convenient.

The location is great--very close to AK/AKL. It's on my "I would stay there" list, but i haven't done it yet.

DH and I have stayed there twice and liked it. The location is fantastic - literally around the corner from AK, and a quick ride down Osceola Parkway to the other parks. In the other direction is Hwy. 192, with many restaurants, grocery stores, etc.

We don’t swim, so I can’t say much more about the pool other than it looked nice and large. Our rooms were in the older part both times but had been renovated the second time, and the “1BR sleeps 6” we had was huge with a large, nicely furnished primary bathroom. We’d happily stay there again.

We’ve always had a car.

We own at SLR. Very nice resort, but we do prefer our Sheraton Vistana ownership so we trade SLR more than we stay. We stayed there last year in March 2023. I say yes, to all of the points above. A car is needed. Access to the Parks and DS is very good through the back door route, Sherbeth Dr to Osceola Parkway. Excellent shopping and good chain restaurants nearby along 192. Publix, Wal-Mart, Target, ABC Liquor all nearby for the essentials.

The units are all nicely updated (newer and older sections) but if trading look for the "Silver Points" listings as these are in the newer buildings - although the regular listing will often get you into the newer buildings as well. Not that there is anything wrong with the older buildings - the units there are updated and generally larger as well, but no elevators to the upper units. All the amenities of home in unit, and the beds are comfortable. Not a lot of great views from the units - our last one overlooked some undeveloped property at the side of the resort which turned out to be a great feature. Morning coffee or evening cocktails on the balcony watching the local wildlife.

There is a well stocked tuck shop/deli/grill in the clubhouse and the bar at the pool has standard fare snacks. The main pool is very large but can be busy on nice days. There is a smaller quieter pool tucked towards the back of the resort. BBQ grills are the old style charcoal grills with giant cast iron grates, but we still use them. Nothing better than a March BBQ when my grill at home is buried under a foot of snow.

The new management company at the resort (Capital Vacations) is a bit of a sore point. The only thing for you to be aware of as a guest is that they are VERY aggressive on the pitch to attend a presentation. You will be redirected to see them at check-in, generally to get your parking pass or keys. They will push hard and probably be quite rude. Just be firm with your No's and walk on as soon as you have your keys/pass. The one good thing is that they didn't bother us again after the first pitch (some other resorts keep trying all week). Five minutes of unpleasantness and then it's over. Whatever you do, don't attend a presentation and/or purchase - then the nightmares will really begin as they are a HORRIBLE management company. I was so tempted to burst the bubble of all the people at the pool bragging about their new purchases (and they were racking up lots of sales). Timeshares should always be bought on the resale market - we spent $10 on our 3BR lock-off there, although after 12 years I am now regretting that with the change of management.

Access to the Parks and DS is very good through the back door route, Sherbeth Dr to Osceola Parkwa
That back door route is no longer in best kept secret status. that general area appears to be verging on being severely overdeveloped IMO.

The haul to the parks when we stayed at a townhouse in Margaritaville took double the normal time of the past to clear Sherberth going either way, all due to traffic.

There are times when dining at the Millers in that location & staying at more further located DVC resorts than AKV, we will actually cut up and take western way, ending up near CS to save time, even tho it involves a toll roads.

Same with heading out of AKV several times each week over multiple trips last few years for dining & grocery purposes. tried different times each day & not to be confused with expected shift change/rush hour traffic we know to avoid. :confused3

That back door route is no longer in best kept secret status. that general area appears to be verging on being severely overdeveloped IMO.

The haul to the parks when we stayed at a townhouse in Margaritaville took double the normal time of the past to clear Sherberth going either way, all due to traffic.

There are times when dining at the Millers in that location & staying at more further located DVC resorts than AKV, we will actually cut up and take western way, ending up near CS to save time, even tho it involves a toll roads.

Same with heading out of AKV several times each week over multiple trips last few years for dining & grocery purposes. tried different times each day & not to be confused with expected shift change/rush hour traffic we know to avoid. :confused3
Sherberth road is definitely not the secret it once was. Going onto property isn’t bad from 192, but coming back can be long, at the light to turn left outside of AK. Definitely check the maps.

Silver Lake always looks nice and is also on our placed to consider for a stay off property. It’s good to hear some positive information about the property. We usually stay DVC or at Orange Lake.

coming back can be long, at the light to turn left outside of AK. Definitely check the maps.
I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to overshoot that light, turn around at AKL, and come back to turn right on Sherberth.

I've got a stay at Kidani next week, and will report back on what it looks like traffic-wise.

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to overshoot that light, turn around at AKL, and come back to turn right on Sherberth.

I've got a stay at Kidani next week, and will report back on what it looks like traffic-wise.
I may know someone who did this a few times. 😉 There is a way to turn around before AKL security, but I know it’s frowned upon. Sherberth just isn’t designed for cast member traffic and all of the new developement off of 192.

Sherberth road is definitely not the secret it once was. Going onto property isn’t bad from 192, but coming back can be long, at the light to turn left outside of AK. Definitely check the maps.

Silver Lake always looks nice and is also on our placed to consider for a stay off property. It’s good to hear some positive information about the property. We usually stay DVC or at Orange Lake.
I guess YMMV. We were there for a March break week 2023 and never experienced much of that. The light was generally pretty quick with two left turn lanes from Osceola to Sherbeth. On returning the turnoff into the resort is before things start backing up for access to 192. We only noticed traffic heading to the parks one morning, but it didn't take long for someone to let us in. It's less than a half-mile to Osceola Pkwy so that little bit of the drive was slow but short. The rest of the trips we didn't experience any heavy traffic at all.

So far, the left turn at Sherberth has been completely uneventful...except last night. I was headed in to MK around 5:30-6:00, and it was backed up. I suspect this was a CM shift change. Also, there is no "legitimate" turnaround point before the AKL guard shack, though you could do it by "mistakenly" using a service drive on the right to make the turn. But even then it is not going to help much b/c Sherberth was backed up almost to the light as well going towards 192.

So, timing is everything. For my typical park-visitation pattern, i wouldn't worry about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter