Siatica or spinal fracture?

vhoffman

DIS Veteran
Ok, I know, whay am I even posting this here on a Disney Board? If I read this post I would write back to get to a doctor, don't fool around!

I have RA (rheumatoid arthritis) and have had problems for years with my lower spine. It comes and goes. Its been diagnosed as siatica (sp?) nothing really much can be done about it, except for rest, use a back brace, increase antiinflammatory meds (I take close to the maximum dosages now). It bothered me a lot last December and I went to physical therapy, got good results. However, its bothering me again, and at first I thought its just the siatica acting up again.

Then I realized its affecting me differently. It usually felt like a hypodermic needle/shot in my butt. However, this time its a burning sensation right in my lower spine/tailbone area. It comes and goes, but usually has never lasted this long. I have had spontaneous fractures in my feet before, and I described it as a burning sensation. This has been bothering me for about a month now. Surely if it were a fracture it would show some progression by now? I guess the only prudent thing to do is to see my doctor. I'll call tomorrow, hope I can get in, better do something before the long weekend. Just wondered if anyone else has had similar symptoms?

Yup, I've had sciatica and arthritis in the spine since an accident 4 years ago. I broke my pelvis and tore hip muscles and had a couple of bone chips. The hip damage healed slowly but now is leaving me with back issues. Pilates classes have worked wonders on regaining flexibility. I can now sit and lie down on the floor somewhat comfortably again, which is something I thought I'd never again be able to do. All this at the ripe old age of 30!
Let me know how you're doing. I'm glad I'm not the only one out there! :yay:

I can feel your pain.

I'm 37 and have mild scoliosis, spinal stenosis, and had back surgery for a splintered disc (was paralyzed temporarily) about 13 years ago (yes, at the ripe old age of 24).

Yes, you need to get to a doctor and get that checked out. An MRI will probably be ordered. Don't fool around with the spine.

I just want to encourage you that you will find a treatment and you will find relief. I can remember some pretty dark days when I felt that it would never be better. But . . . it will. Just get your appt and then treat it aggressively. It may take some time, but in the end you will have a better understanding of what is going on and how to address it.

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter