Should we Leave Kids Ipads at Home?

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
On our first trip with our triplet boys in January, 2017, we let our boys bring their iPads. They never used them at the parks or brought them to any of our meals, but used them at night or in the morning, or for down time. On that trip, they were 7–nearly 8, and while there were some moments where they asked to go back to the room for a break, and we knew it was an iPad break, it was rare. For the most part, they didn’t detract from our visit. This Trip, though, DH and I don’t even want them to have the option to use them. They will be 9–nearly 10, and seem to be more into iPads and gaming then a couple years ago. Are we wrong to take the stance “No iPads at all on this trip”? Our rationale being that we are spending a lot of money and don’t want them even tempted to waste it on an iPad. My biggest concern with not bringing them at all, though, is that it did serve as a means for DH and I to get ready for the day, pick up the room, whatever else needed to be done in the morning or evening, or while we were waiting at the airport. I have visions of missing a flight or even a flight delay for hours with no way to entertain them.

Last edited:
Hi! We have debated the same thing. We have a 15 yo, 12 yo and 8yo. All boys. We do let them bring electronics on the trip as its especially helpful on the flight, but after an issue on one vacation where it was just too much we now have strict time limit rules. They can play with devices in the morning only after they are totally ready and just waiting for us. Then they can have them for 30 min after we return from the park for the day. Any whining when time is up and we cut time off the next day. This seems to work for us. Good luck with whatever you choose.

My 7yo has an iPhone and my 5yo has an iPad, both girls. We let them bring them but I don't think they were on them at all during our stay. Being at Disney was more important to them. They did help for the 7 hour drive.

I totally get your situation, we have DS 14 and 9 and they are electronics obsessed. However, I don't think I would leave them home, as they do come in handy on flights, drives, and like you mentioned, getting ready and such. And, playing devil's advocate, it is their vacation too, and kids at a certain age now, that is what they love to do, so I wouldn't leave them home, but would perhaps set major limits while there. Now my 14 year old, I may even consider allowing his phone in the parks as he loves to 'help' out, so can look up things on the MDE for me and stuff like that so that's actually helpful :-)

There is no wrong answer. If you do not want them to bring their electronics then the electronics stay home. Personally, I see no harm in having them along as long as the kids are prepared to follow any rules you have on place. My DGD always has her phone with her, and uses it during downtime. I look at the iPads the way I looked at games back when my own children were growing up, so if you are relaxing on the balcony or by the pool, or getting ready to head out, or watching TV, and the kids are either ready or just hanging around with you, what is the harm?

I will say that a few years ago my friend and her girls came with us. The girls were really into the games on their iPads, and Mom hated the parks. That was a recipe that ensured the kids missed a lot, and if I take them again, while I will allow them to bring their iPads, I will leave mom home! LOL! Not really, however if they come with me, there will eb some new rules in place, and one of those rules, while not stated out loud will be tht when Nana goes to the parks, the girls go. WHen Nana is ready to head back to the resort, we go. No more lure of iPads and games keeping them occupied so Mom does not need to go to the park.

Hi! We have debated the same thing. We have a 15 yo, 12 yo and 8yo. All boys. We do let them bring electronics on the trip as its especially helpful on the flight, but after an issue on one vacation where it was just too much we now have strict time limit rules. They can play with devices in the morning only after they are totally ready and just waiting for us. Then they can have them for 30 min after we return from the park for the day. Any whining when time is up and we cut time off the next day. This seems to work for us. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thank you. We do have Kidslox in their iPads, so could easily establish time limits. We are still debating and discussing, but both definitely agree that we have to say no iPads during the daytime at all.

I would only consider it if you are leaving all of your devices at home too.

And honestly, I would let them bring them, but set limits on when and for how long they can be used. Long wait for a table for dinner? Haul it out. In line for Slinky Dog Dash? Nope. Chat with the family. That sort of thing. But then you and your spouse have to make sure you are doing the same thing. Not watching videos on your cell phone or anything like that.

I see you posted again, and I think you are being a bit too strict. There are times they can come in handy and keep everyone occupied and happy.

And honestly, I would let them bring them, but set limits on when and for how long they can be used. Long wait for a table for dinner? Haul it out. In line for Slinky Dog Dash? Nope. Chat with the family. That sort of thing. But then you and your spouse have to make sure you are doing the same thing. Not watching videos on your cell phone or anything like that.

I see you posted again, and I think you are being a bit too strict. There are times they can come in handy and keep everyone occupied and happy.

I’m so glad you posted this. My husband has been so firm of the no iPads this trip, but he is honestly the biggest abuser. I posted because I wasn’t feeling right about our super strict, unreasonable policy. I asked DH just before you posted how he would feel if he had to leave his phone home, and got an interesting look after. This is exactly how I was feeling—that they should be allowed to bring them, but with strict limits. We don’t want the temptation, but I can’t help but think we are just trying to make our job easier by removing them, and that’s not the solution either.

Our reason for not wanting iPad use during the daytime is that on a recent trip, the boys would say they wanted to go back to our room to swim, but it was really to get on their iPads. It could be that DH and I are overkill, but we tend to do all we can on our visit. That said, we obviously want our boys to have pool breaks and relaxation time. If they say they want to swim or need a break, we get it. We just felt that constant iPad breaks is not why we go on a Disney vacation. We are hoping to at least minimize that.

Like I said, there are times they can come in handy. More than once I've waited 20-30 minutes past the ADR time to be seated for dinner. And you all have to wait there, they won't take your name until your whole group is waiting. IPads would be great to keep the kids occupied in cases like that. Easy enough to say No to them while you are seated at the table.

Set rules about when ALL electronics can be used and then everyone has to follow them. You could also give them 30 minutes or an hour at night, that way they won't feel totally deprived. And then dad could use his phone or lap top then too.

Yes, I think you're being far too strict. Sure, they shouldn't be staring at their screens while you're boarding a ride, but IMO there's no reason to force them to leave them at home. If that's what brings them enjoyment and is part of their regular lives, it would almost seem like a punishment to tell them not to bring them. Again, let me be clear...I 100% agree there should be time limits and usage guidelines set for the trip. However, not only do we allow our kids to bring their phones, we encourage it. It gives them something to do when we do have some down time, or before bed, or when they wake up (sometimes DW and I are still asleep).

I don't think kids rules should ever be comparable to adult rules. My kids don't pay the bills and are not "equal" members of our household in that respect. And I don't ever want to set the precedent for them that they can govern or dictate what we do based on what their rules are.

On our first trip with our triplet boys in January, 2017, we let our boys bring their iPads. They never used them at the parks or brought them to any of our meals, but used them at night or in the morning, or for down time. On that trip, they were 7–nearly 8, and while there were some moments where they asked to go back to the room for a break, and we knew it was an iPad break, it was rare. For the most part, they didn’t detract from our visit. This Trip, though, DH and I don’t even want them to have the option to use them. They will be 9–nearly 10, and seem to be more into iPads and gaming then a couple years ago. Are we wrong to take the stance “No iPads at all on this trip”? Our rationale being that we are spending a lot of money and don’t want them even tempted to waste it on an iPad. My biggest concern with not bringing them at all, though, is that it did serve as a means for DH and I to get ready for the day, pick up the room, whatever else needed to be done in the morning or evening, or while we were waiting at the airport. I have visions of missing a flight or even a flight delay for hours with no way to entertain them.

I would bring them, but have rules when they could be used. We always limited electronic time so the kids would get physical exercise with other activities.

Our reason for not wanting iPad use during the daytime is that on a recent trip, the boys would say they wanted to go back to our room to swim, but it was really to get on their iPads. It could be that DH and I are overkill, but we tend to do all we can on our visit. That said, we obviously want our boys to have pool breaks and relaxation time. If they say they want to swim or need a break, we get it. We just felt that constant iPad breaks is not why we go on a Disney vacation. We are hoping to at least minimize that.

But if they really do want a break, why does it matter if they're swimming or using an iPad (again, with the caveat that it's not ALL they do all the time)?

And AgentMama...you rock!!!! :thumbsup2 :jumping1:

But if they really do want a break, why does it matter if they're swimming or using an iPad (again, with the caveat that it's not ALL they do all the time)?

And AgentMama...you rock!!!! :thumbsup2 :jumping1:

It doesn’t matter I guess. I just don’t want them to not swim if it’s a hot enough day and choose to use the iPad instead, when they can do that anytime. (we are going next week so it may not be). We are staying at the Polynesian and Portofino Bay resorts. My parents could only afford camping when I went to Disney, which I still loved and never minded. I just don’t want them to miss out on an opportunity for a great experience, simply to be on an iPad. And, honestly, one if our boys choose that all day if we let him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter