Should I use AKL this year?

kbender23

Earning My Ears
First, I just received the paper work to become a DVC member and would love the chance to talk to some members who don't actually work for Disney. I have questions and I do feel since they are sales, they tell me what I want to hear and not the reality. If there is anyone who wouldn't mind letting me call them to talk DVC please PM me a phone number or an email address where I can reach you.

Second, I can get a room at my home resort (studio for my wife and I) in the Kadani Village. We are going while Disney is offering free dining. Should I use the free dining and stay at All Star or use my points and have to pay for dining? Since we are in a studio and don't have a full kitchen we will probably still get the dining plan. So use points and pay for dining or stay at all star and get free dining.

Please help!!! Thanks!!

You can find all the help you need by reading the posts here on the DVC DIS Board. You can't receive a PM because you don't have enough posts.

I suggest that you cancel the contract until you have enough time to understand the DVC, rules, regulations, policies, pluses and minuses.

We took two years to start buying and that was after attending the sales meeting and visiting all of the WDW DVC resorts.

:earsboy: Bill

I have questions and I do feel since they are sales, they tell me what I want to hear and not the reality.

feel free to ask questions on this forum. you can also do searches for terms that you are curious about.

it sounds like you could have saved a significant amount of money buying resale, so i'd focus on whether that is a good option for you first if you still have the option of canceling your direct purchase.

Should I use the free dining and stay at All Star or use my points and have to pay for dining?

that's something that depends entirely on you.

i'd much rather stay at AKV. i love it. while i'm losing enthusiasm for disney dining in general - and don't find the DDP to be a good value for me - i still love to go to boma and jiko at jambo house on every trip if possible... but i like having the freedom to go to more normally-priced dining outside of wdw proper - there are several great restaurants in celebration.

I would pick the deluxe villa resort on points over free dining at a value resort, but that's just me. As a DVC member you get a lot of great dining discounts just for being a member or the abililty to buy the Tables in Wonderland card for $100 which is awesome. I say go with your home resort....

I think only you can decide what works for you. Personally I do not think a value and AKL are comparable so if I had the points, I would use them to stay at AKL. Free dining is not exactly free since you have to pay rack rate for the room. When you bought into DVC was your plan to stay at a value on some trips and use your points on others?

Our Disney vacations are as much (or more) about the resort as the parks. Staying in a value would not be worth the "free dining". Just my 2 cents. The reason we bought DVc was do that we could enjoy the beautiful resorts we could not justify paying for otherwise. We are now quite spoiled and really only stay deluxe. If this is not important to you, DVc might not be a great choice for you.

Fi Should I use the free dining and stay at All Star or use my points and have to pay for dining? Since we are in a studio and don't have a full kitchen we will probably still get the dining plan. So use points and pay for dining or stay at all star and get free dining.
Please help!!! Thanks!!

Apples to Oranges comparison:

Choice one:
pay Rack rate for a Value to get the Quick service (Counter service only,Snacks and a resort mug) dining plan for free for two people(assuming only 2) (if you want the standard plan you pay extra $$)

Choice two:
Utilize your points (that I am assuming you purchased already) for a studio at a Deluxe Villa and pay for the Standard Disney Dining Plan (1TS,TCS,1Snack) for each day of your stay

So it looks like me the choice is between two different experiences each with their own cost (monetary and non-monetary)

So, Value vs Deluxe Villa for accomodataions
and QS meal plan vs Standard Meal plan

Or another option that I would suggest (and what we do) is:
Deluxe villa and no meal plan and pay for meals OOP (Out of pocket). This allows you to have more flexibility in your meals and the amount you wish to eat. (TIW card is also an option here) It would also allow you to go to restaurants and order appetizers if you wish (not on the DDP anymore) ,skip desserts (mandatory on the DDP), share a meal, do small plates, not automatically pay 18% gratuity, get snacks at places that do not take snack credits, get snacks that are not on the DDP, etc Reheat take home in the resort and not feel guilty about using a meal credit for a meal. Do a continental breakfast at your resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter