• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should I have waited?

KaterBell

I've been Pugged!
We put down a deposit on 200 points at the BCV yesterday with our guide over the phone, sight unseen. We decided to take the 5 free nights incentive over the $5 per point discount.

After discussing with our neighbor, who has been in DVC since 1997, he said they signed on their vacation one year, and were able to apply up to $3000 of their vacation cost towards signing DVC.... He said it was something called "Magical Beginnings", and they let you apply it if you're staying onsite at a Disney Resort.

We're going down June 2 (the day the points go up to $80) and staying at the GF - so I know we would probably get the full $3000 off if we could apply the discount - anyone know if they still do this?

The program your neighbor was talking about, where you could apply the cost of your stay towards the downpayment, was something offered years ago and discontinued. They have offered other Magical Beginning programs that allowed you to "sell back" some of your points, thus reducing your downpayment. In my way of thinking, the current offer of $5 off or the free stay when buying BCV is one of the best they've ever offered. I think you should be pleased with your decision.

Oh I am very pleased with the decision. Since I heard about the DVC program and all its goodness, it's ALL I can think about! I can almost say that I own a piece of the magic. ;) But I wasn't sure if we should have waited to get the additional $$ off.... but it looks like we did the right thing afterall!! :)

Thank you!! :)

Hi Katerbell,

I just wanted to agree with PamOKW on this one... right now, buying on site (at the BWV's through the waitlist for an add on) I was offered $5.00 per point AND I had to give first years points BACK... Was it worth 250.00 to lose my first years points? NOPE... Not at all... The most Magical Beginnings has been worth on site in recent years has been $10.00 per point AND you had to lose first years points....

You get your first years points AND they took $5.00 off... you did okay :D

And by the way, WELCOME HOME!

chris1gill,
Just for information purposes.....We did MB's for VB 3 months ago, and got $13 off per point ($62). And we know we don't get our points until Sept 2002. ......But we have them for the next 39 1/2 years...:D

I agree, the $5 without sacrificing points is a better deal than magical beginnings. The best magical beginnings I've seen is $13 per point, which we used at one time for Vero Beach. If you wanted to sacrifice your first year's points, you could always consider gong to the rent/trade board and sell your first year's points at about $9-10 per point. When you add that to the $5.00 deal per point, you'll come out way ahead. I I agree with the views ahead, why give up the points for magical beginnings if you don't have to, in my opinion, you got the better deal.

As a fellow BCV owner, let me also say - "Welcome Home." We'll look forward to seeing you at SAB sometime.

YAY!!! KaterBell.... buying into the DVC!!!!! Whooo-hoooo!!! Just don't use your points when we are there in October, we already have ressies at the Grand Jasonian (inside joke) ;)

Thanks buddy! :) Someday you can stay at BCV with us! :)

Thank you to everyone who reaffirmed that I did, indeed, make the best choice. :) It sounds like got a great deal, and I'm SO very excited about our future years in the DVC!!

I can't wait to hear the magical words on site, "Welcome Home!" :)

It may be early, but I wanted to be the first to "Welcome You Home";)

Consider buying 10 more points, and I believe you would get 2 more nights for free!! Talked to our guide today and he said that at 210 points you got 7 nights free! Something to consider....

Trying to talk DH into doing an add on at BCV. We are swaying between BCV add on or waiting and buying a VWL resale.(Already own at VWL) Hope we can decide before the incentives are gone or the price goes up!!!!

Welcome Home!

Oh the TEMPTATION! hehe... Gonna discuss it with hubby... will call tomorrow if we're gonna add 10 more... :) hehe....

Thanks for planting the bug in my head!

No problem.... It is definitely an addiction. Sooner or later they may have to issue a Surgeon General's warning on the drive to want more points!! Good luck! I can't tell you how much we LOVE our DVC membership!

Just give in now and get the 400 points that you really want before the price goes up!

Oh, TOO TRUE! Do you think it would or could stop at 400, or will it be never ending?!? I feel no end in sight!

You people are BAD INFLUENCES on people like me!! :)

I laughed out loud when our guide faxed us the financing charts, and I saw that the examples went up to 2000 points for $150,000. I thought, "WHO buys 2000 points?"... then I honestly answered myself and said, "I would, if I had the money and vacation time!"... heh... it *is* an addiction.

I upped our points to 210. 7 Free nights. :)

Our guide is going to resend out the paperwork , should have it by end of the week, so we can finish the deal in the coming month or so. ;)

Thanks to the DIS! :)

Good for you!!! You'll need those 10 extra points anyways & you got yourself two more free nights :D

Just wanted to share with everyone today that we got our paperwork notarized today and dropped it in the Fed Ex box.... It's on the way - almost official. I'm so excited I could just pee my pants. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter