Should I Get a New Use Year on a Resell Contract? Does it Matter?

Pluto 32

Mouseketeer
Hi DVC Family!

I am going to purchase a resell contract sometime in the near future and it is going to result in a separate membership number. I currently own two contracts direct from DVD both have a Dec. use year which has worked out well. The resell contract, which will be at a resort than I do not currently own, will generate a new membership # because the name on the deed will be different the two that I currently own.

So the real question is should I only look for resell contracts that have a Dec. use year or since it's going to generate an new member # anyway does it even matter? Say a Feb. use year pops up. We usually travel March-August.

What are your thought on the con and pros for keeping all the same use years or having 2 or 3 different use years?

Thanks and Happy Disney Days!

~ Pluto 32 ~

Last edited:
I'd say it doesn't matter much since you'll have a separate membership anyway. I'd probably look for a UY that is different to better give some protection against a last minute cancellation of an Aug or Sept trip. So Feb, Mar or April.

One thing is if you decided to purchase at the same resort you own then if you do buy a contract in the same UY you could have them transfer the points every year and as long as that's done correctly you'd be able to see and use them online. If it's a differennt resort then they wouldn't show up online so then UY doesn't really matter either.

I'd say it doesn't matter much since you'll have a separate membership anyway. I'd probably look for a UY that is different to better give some protection against a last minute cancellation of an Aug or Sept trip. So Feb, Mar or April.

One thing is if you decided to purchase at the same resort you own then if you do buy a contract in the same UY you could have them transfer the points every year and as long as that's done correctly you'd be able to see and use them online. If it's a differennt resort then they wouldn't show up online so then UY doesn't really matter either.
It will be a different resort for sure. But at the 7 month window can I still transfer points between memberships?

Last edited:
Since its a different resort, and titled differently, I would say get a better UY for your travel window.

Dec is not great for Sept travel. Its past your banking deadline, and if points ever go into holding, you are looking at trying to get a room during the busy season 60 days out.

Seems like April would be ideal

Since its a different resort, and titled differently, I would say get a better UY for your travel window.

Dec is not great for Sept travel. Its past your banking deadline, and if points ever go into holding, you are looking at trying to get a room during the busy season 60 days out.

Seems like April would be ideal
(Revised) We usually travel March-August.

It will be a different resort for sure. But at the 7 month window can I still transfer points between memberships?

You could transfer and use them all together at 7 months or the other option is to book reservations in each membership and ask MS to link them together as a continuing stay. It doesn't 100% guarantee you wouldn't have to change rooms but it's rare to have to move. We've had 2 memberships almost since the start and I've booked and linked many many times and we've never had to move. Every now and then people do have to though.

We have two different use years. Have done a transfer one time from one number to the other and almost had a heart attack when member services said oh it didn’t put it in the right year or something and she had to manually change it. If I had it to do over again I would NOT buy a contract with a different use year. It’s just not as convenient. Since the one transfer we have just booked two different reservations at different resorts - this summer will be the first time tho we will actually stay at same resort so have asked them to link so that we don’t have to move rooms (hopefully).

We have two different use years. Have done a transfer one time from one number to the other and almost had a heart attack when member services said oh it didn’t put it in the right year or something and she had to manually change it. If I had it to do over again I would NOT buy a contract with a different use year. It’s just not as convenient. Since the one transfer we have just booked two different reservations at different resorts - this summer will be the first time tho we will actually stay at same resort so have asked them to link so that we don’t have to move rooms (hopefully).
Thank you for the input. On a separate note, I've noticed multiple signatures like yours. Are those the trips you've taken?

we have three separate use years and love it - but we tend to take several smaller trips during the year. we don't transfer / combine - each contract gets used for a different trip.

definitely think about how you intend to use the new points, and make the decision based on that. =)

I look at it is IF someone knows how to use & manage points, then different UY's aren't an issue.

The unfortunate realty with all timeshares is that a vast majority of the members/owners have no idea what they purchased or what they're doing ;)

(BTW, I mean no disrespect at all by that comment. I work in the timeshare industry and am always stunned by how many people I encounter who don't have a clue, didn't do their due diligence or simply believe what their salesperson told them) ;)

Last edited:
Hi DVC Family!

I am going to purchase a resell contract sometime in the near future and it is going to result in a separate membership number. I currently own two contracts direct from DVD both have a Dec. use year which has worked out well. The resell contract, which will be at a resort than I do not currently own, will generate a new membership # because the name on the deed will be different the two that I currently own.

So the real question is should I only look for resell contracts that have a Dec. use year or since it's going to generate an new member # anyway does it even matter? Say a Feb. use year pops up. We usually travel March-August.

What are your thought on the con and pros for keeping all the same use years or having 2 or 3 different use years?

Thanks and Happy Disney Days!

~ Pluto 32 ~
Just realize those with the new name won't get owner perks unless they do now string with you. You could change all deeds then do the add on and they would get the perks but there are obviously other downsides.

Just realize those with the new name won't get owner perks unless they do now string with you. You could change all deeds then do the add on and they would get the perks but there are obviously other downsides.
The other contracts have my name and someone else's name on them. The resale contract will just have my name on it.

The other contracts have my name and someone else's name on them. The resale contract will just have my name on it.
OK the wording made it sound like it was a new person on the new contract who wasn't already a member. If you could get the other changed, you could get them all combined but if circumstances won't allow that, and I suspect they won't, then they will functions completely indpendently with no ability to directly use points for each contract.

OK the wording made it sound like it was a new person on the new contract who wasn't already a member. If you could get the other changed, you could get them all combined but if circumstances won't allow that, and I suspect they won't, then they will functions completely indpendently with no ability to directly use points for each contract.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think DVC allows one transfer points per year from one contract to another.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think DVC allows one transfer points per year from one contract to another.
That’s correct but you can’t use them online, yet have to call.

Yeah, wish they would change that.
They have several times over the years but you might want to be careful what you wish for. In keeping with their push to control resales they could take that option away completely. If I understand correctly you can do it online with transferred points if it’s the same home resort and use year but I don’t know for certain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter