Should I do it???

MickeyMonstersMom

DIS Veteran
Help! I really need objective viewpoints on this!

I took my children on their first WDW trip last August for DD's 8th birthday, with the understanding that we'd come back for DS's 8th in 2006. I truly did not expect to return before then, but the Fairytale Package being offered this summer has made me think twice about it.

The IRS was particularly generous this year, so I have the cash to pay for the trip right now - an unanticipated gift, in a sense. However, we'd have to go again the same week as last year, and this would mean that my ex-husband would likely miss his daughter's birthday two years in a row. I asked his opinion, and he did not mention missing her birthday (I did suggest that he and his wife could also take advantage of the discount and book the same week), but he did comment that DD would celebrate 2 birthdays in a row at WDW, while DS does not have that opportunity, and wondered if that would seem unfair. He also said that the extra IRS money would be better used toward the kids' college funds.

I think the birthday celebration thing can be worked out (after all, who would complain about going to WDW??!) The second argument makes a lot of sense, though, and I wonder if I'm being shortsighted to consider a vacation over college planning.

The unexpected financial windfall makes the trip seem almost fated to happen, but I am truly conflicted over whether to do the responsible thing or the amazingly fun family-bonding thing. I can't be objective about it, so I'd greatly appreciate hearing from people who can. Thanks to all who read and respond - I appreciate it greatly!

I am not sure how objective this sounds but--your kids are kids for only a little while and you should enjoy that time together. You never know what tomorrow will bring. Of course, I am not very financially responsible and would ALWAYS choose a WDW vacation over anything!!!!

I'd take the kids and go to WDW. Explain to your son that he'll still get to celebrate when you come back in 2006. I'm sure he'd be happy just getting to go to WDW again so soon.

As for me, I pick vacations (to anywhere) over anything else!:cool:

I would go! I'm sure your son will understand about the birthday if you explain it well to him. Maybe you could make one day 'his day', and let him choose some special activities even though it isn't actually his birthday.

bev

Thanks for validating my own opinion! ;) It occurred to me that, with the low cost of the vacation, I could make a matching deposit into the kids' college funds by Christmas as long as I budget carefully. As for the birthday thing, how about this idea (if we do go, which seems more and more likely!): since last year was a celebration of DD's birthday, this year could be an "Unbirthday" Party for DS.

Hehe, I'm already getting all kinds of great ideas for t-shirt designs!

How close is the time you are going to your DS half birthday? A lot of folks I know celebrate these. Just a thought if it works out.

I say go for it:) Of course your ex would want you to spend the money on the kids college, that means less that he has to pay for. We are in a similar situation. We did not even bat an eye at my ex missing my ds's b-day. But we were never married & there is nothing in our custody agreement that says anything about it.

I'd go ... kids are only kids for a short while. Maybe play down your daughters birthday this trip (after all it's not the reason you're going this time) and plan something special for your son to do ... maybe the pirate cruise at the GF.

As for putting money away for college ... yes that's important, but so is building family memories ... and who knows, maybe they won't go to college ...

Please note, this is being written by a grandma who used her 2001 tax refund to take the g'kids to WDW last summer, is using her 2002 tax refund to go back this summer, and is planning on using her 2003 tax refund to pay for the Disney Land/Sea vacation she's already booked for August of 2004!!!

Cheryl

Let's face it, you just really wanted someone to tell you it was OK, didn't you? Well you came to the right place - Go for it!

You've got time to save for college - Have you enrolled in UPromise yet? You sound like a great Mom. Let each of your kids enjoy a B-day in the parks.:bounce:

As the QUEEN OF RATIONALIZATION, I say go for it. When you consider all you get with a Disney vacation, I think it's a deal at almost any price. We're taking advantage fo the FT package as well. Enjoy the time with your kids, experiencing it through their eyes is like no other experience.

As long as you'll be putting money in the "college fund" by December anyway, like you said, I'd definitely go for it. If it would make you feel better, maybe you could take a small amount from the tax refund & put it in the college fund before you leave.

Have a great time!!! :p

I say go too!! :) Tax refunds are made for trips to WDW!!! :teeth:

I TOTALLY agree with what dahess said:
Of course your ex would want you to spend the money on the kids college, that means less that he has to pay for.

My ex is responsible for my son's college fund....it's in the decree.;) I had a smart friend make sure I had that put in like she did in hers.

Who knows maybe a few years down the road your kids will be in the college program at WDW!! Wouldn't that be cool?!? :smooth:

I think your ex is right.

Four years at my husbands alma mater right now is over $100,000 - and goes up every year. Every year there is less and less financial aid - we are expecting it to be pretty unavailable by the time my kids are in. It doesn't sound like its his responsibility in the divorce decree - sounds like the burden of college costs will be both of yours. And, even if its in the decree, if your ex husband doesn't have the money, he won't be paying.

If our kids decide not to go to college, they will be able to use the money set aside for college for a downpayment for a house.

My divorce decree is exceptionally vague. No provisions were made regarding even visitation, let alone future considerations like college funding. Even so, I take my own responsibility seriously. As the only member of both our families to attend college, I want the same opportunity for my children.

I also attended one of the most expensive colleges in the nation, one that is not known for its generosity RE: financial aid. My children already know that my alma mater is beyond our reach, even with stellar grades. The SUNY system has excellent academic programs and a lot of diversity of choice, as well as a much better set of programs offering financial help to students, something my daughter and I have already discussed.

My initial "high" at hearing the news about the Fairytale Package has abated, and I am leaning more toward not going. We'd been considering a whale watch this summer, and both children have said that they'd rather have the new experience and wait for WDW until our previously scheduled visit. Huh. I have until 5/28 to make up my mind, though.

Ya know WDW will be around for a long time so if you're feeling that you're not using your money the way it should be ,it would be best not to go.I'd hate for you to regret it later and come to dislike WDW.

The whale watching is AWESOME!! I lived in Oregon for awhile and got exprience this.I'm hoping someday to take my son Erich and step son Jonathan to do this. I want my boys to get a taste of everything life has to offer!

Let us know what you decided,okay?!? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter