Should I do a split stay?

Bookworm715

Earning My Ears
We are going on our second Disney vacation in January. Last time, we stayed in a non-Disney hotel. I really love hotels- it's one of my favorite parts of vaca :cool1: We are renting DVC points and staying at AKL, but part of me thinks we should split our stay up and do a couple of days at another resort (perhaps BLT?) just to experience something else.

How much of a hassle is it? I know our luggage would be transported, and it seems like it's little hassle for the chance to experience another resort. (Plus, w/ 2 small kids, it would be nice to avoid the "no housekeeping in DVC property" issue ;) )

What do you think? If you were staying at AKL for 3 days, would you switch to another property for 2 days? And which one?

We did a split stay at BCV and BWV in May and we are going to do it again in October 2013...this time split between BLT and BCV. We are doing 4 nights and 4 nights. I'm a little torn if I'd do it for 3 nights and 2 nights but it really comes down to you packing up and unpacking. It shouldn't be any hastle for your kids. Mine weren't affected at all. In fact they liked trying out 2 different resorts and pools. In the morning you leave your bags with bell services, go to the parks and come back to your new resort later in the day and your bags will be there. So for me, no hastle on that end. The biggest hastle is packing up in the morning.

How much of a hassle is it? I know our luggage would be transported, and it seems like it's little hassle for the chance to experience another resort. (Plus, w/ 2 small kids, it would be nice to avoid the "no housekeeping in DVC property" issue ;) ) ?

I wouldn't call it a hassle; Disney is usually very great about helping you transfer your luggage from one resort from the next.

We have done 2 split stays in the past and we personally don't prefer it. Many on here love to experience multiple resorts in the same trip so i totally get it! To each their own, right?? For us, we like to be settled into one resort for the duration of our stay. If we want to experience another resort during a trip, we will go to that resort for shopping, a meal, or to just walk around.

Don't cancel your split stay because you're afraid it will be a hassle. Disney will assist you and its pretty easy. :)

We are going on our second Disney vacation in January. Last time, we stayed in a non-Disney hotel. I really love hotels- it's one of my favorite parts of vaca :cool1: We are renting DVC points and staying at AKL, but part of me thinks we should split our stay up and do a couple of days at another resort (perhaps BLT?) just to experience something else.

How much of a hassle is it? I know our luggage would be transported, and it seems like it's little hassle for the chance to experience another resort. (Plus, w/ 2 small kids, it would be nice to avoid the "no housekeeping in DVC property" issue ;) )

What do you think? If you were staying at AKL for 3 days, would you switch to another property for 2 days? And which one?

I have booked split stays and backed out for stays twice as long as yours. But, I still would love to take the plunge. You said you love hotels. I think that is motivation in itself. Also, AKL and BLT are at total opposite ends of the world. You could schedule your parks according to your resort locations. Sounds like a great split. The only thing we would do is take a taxi from one resort to the other with our luggage. Taxis are usually sitting right out front of every resort ready to assist. Even if the room is not ready, you can leave luggage with bell services. It would be about $22 to $25.00 from AKL to BLT. Have a great trip!:goodvibes

If you can get Bay Lake Towers, I'd absolutely do it. I thought AKL's bus service was very good but it is still a long way to the Magic Kingdom -- approximately 20-30 minutes after boarding the bus. With two small children, I'd even consider 2 days AKL and 3 days BLT -- simply for the MK convenience.

We have done alot of split stays and are good at it. Disney will help you make it transparent. We drive to Disney and park our van. On split day, we split :rotfl2:, in other words, the wife and kids went to the park of choice that day. I sent the luggage with Dis. I drove the van (with one suitcase with our swimsuits) to the new hotel and checked in, then joined them in the park. Usually we stayed until mid afternoon and went to our new hotel. Sometimes our room would be ready, sometimes not. If not, we changed and swam at the pool. If it was ready, we went up and changed.

I like you enjoy hotel stays and search out the unique aspects of every new Hotel. My two tips for you about splits

1. if you are going to split, save the best (higher price) hotel for last. Don't split down, from a mod to a value or a 1 BR villa to a regular room

2. Let Disney do the grunt work. That's what they are for.

WE have done split stays, but usually rent a car so it is effortless to get to the place we are going at the time we want to go. Still, Disney transportation is the right price :goodvibes so I would just plan a hotel swimming day on your "transportation day" to the other resort. Keep in mind that with DVC check-in is not until 4:00 pm and usually that means after 4. Have a wonderful trip!

We did a split stay last summer. I loved it!

In your case, spending only 5 nights, I don't think I would do it. I wouldn't do a split stay for anything less than 7 nights....The unpacking, packing, unpacking and packing again (to go home) would be a pain in the neck in that time frame.

Just my opinion.....

We've done it three times & will be doing it again on our next trip. As others have mentioned, the only real hassle (at least for us) is having to re-pack to move things to the 2nd resort. At resort 1 I just unpack the clothes & other items I'll be using there & leave the rest in the suite case. When the kids were little I packed all of our clothes/etc. for resort 1 in 1 suitcase & then packed a separate suitcase with the rest of our clothes/etc. for the 2nd part of our trip. It was never enough of a hassle to deter me from splitting my stay.

We've done a split stay three times. I love visiting multiple resorts. We are doing BC, AKL, and GF (or perhaps Poly) this summer and I find that we can make up the time it takes to move by planning to tour the parks most easily accessible to the resort we are staying at. AKL and BLT sounds like a great idea. I think each family has a comfort level with how many days before the move makes sense.
For us, we like to stay at least three nights at a resort, but for others it may be more or less. I also think 5 nights might make it a little rushed,but if I were to do it. We don't remove our clothes from our suitcases if stay 3 nights or less. Obviously, different families have different feeling or comfort levels with this, but we did a two night stay at the HRH at Universal once and just kept our bags in order so we could zip them up and head back to the Poly.

Since you said you love hotels, it might be worth the effort (packing, planning). As Singinglizee said, it might be easier for those of us who have a car onsite, it might take a while to get from one resort to another using Disney transportation (cab?). Because of this, it might be best to plan on going to a park (MK?) first on the moving day. Also what time you arrive and depart may impact the cost/benefit analysis. You might even consider two nights at BLT first if your little ones prefer MK.

I'd say go for it. In all the years of going to WDW we have never stayed the entire trip at one place. Surprisingly, our trip in March might be the first one to be completely at BWV. The latest one spent two days at POP, four days at SSR and one day at AoA. Transferring was not a problem because we never unpacked at either POP or AoA. We also had our own vehicle so that made things easier. As an earlier poster said, I would save the higher cost/bigger room until the end. This way it won't seem like a let down when you switch hotels. I would switch to a resort that depends on which park you plan to go to. If you are going to EPCOT, I'd pick the Boardwalk Villas and if you are going to MK, then definitely BLT. We haven't stayed at BLT (which is the only one) yet and I'm hoping to get to that one late next year. Have fun on your trip.

We have one planned for our upcoming stay as well. We've done it a couple of times. Like you, I like to experience the different resorts. It usually defines our vacation....as in our BLT 2010 trip! You just pack up, call for bell services and tell them where to move them to. Go to the park, then show up at your new place later and have them bring up your luggage. Easy peasy.
I also second the advice to move up in amenities. Sometimes it's also a good way to save money and experience resorts you may not have been able to afford normally. We got a good deal once on the Poly so we stayed there for a couple of nights.
Do it and enjoy!!

I also like split stays. Last trip we did one night at AoA (I just had to check it out), 5 at the THV, and 5 at Kidani in a 2 bedroom villa savannah view. Best trip to WDW yet. :thumbsup2 I love my resort time so where we stay is very important to me.

We did a Bay Lake Tower/Kidani Village split stay in Spring of 2012 for our first trip as DVC members. We started at BLT because it was more "action" and ended at Kidani for peace and quiet. 5 nights BLT, 3 nights Kidani. (not sure I would do it with a shorter stay) We had our car with us and left BLT at 9am, went to Kidani and our room was ready!! I think with the size of the resort, the chances are better that they would have one available. We aren't doing a split stay in 2013, but we would definitely do it again! It's a great way to see multiple resorts in one trip, and it was easier than I expected!

As long as you don't do the dining plan as it REALLY adds to the cost of a split stay because you need park tix attached to both stays. We used to love split stays between AKL (for theming) and the Poly (for the monorail) but when I priced it for our our upcoming stay it added several hundred dollars even when you attach the the whole stay to the first hotel and buy a 1 day 1 park ticket for the second stay.

You can defray the cost a bit by never using your second KTTW card to get into a park (only use it for dining) and exchange it for a a paper ticket that you can sell or use yourself at another time.

Go for it! We are doing our first split this trip - a triple split! 2 nights at Kidani, 7 nights at Coronado Springs, and then our final night at Art of Animation Little Mermaid!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter