Should I consider OKW to be the DVC version of CBR???

Figaro30

Proud to be an American
I have stayed at CBR several times but never at OKW. Somebody said that being near the hospitality house was not a factor for him. Now that I think about it...depending on what part of CBR you stayed at could be a walk to the main food court. That never bothered me before. So should I not be bothered if I not close to the Hospitality house at OKW??? It sounded like the same scenario. Anybody know the similarities between these two resorts?

figaro1.jpg

'81 - Cont.
'88 - Disneyland
'89 - Maingate East
'91 - CBR
'94 - CBR
'95 - CBR
'98 - BC
'00 - WL
'01 - OKW

Personally I don't think the two resorts are similar at all. As far as walking to the main recreation area, there is one huge difference between the two...layout. CBR is a big circle and there are only one or two locations on the property where you would need to cross roads to get to the main recreation area. At OKW there are lots of roads and even the locations close to the Hospitality House may require crossing a road. For adults this may not be an issue, but with kids it could be.

Just my thoughts, having stayed at both...

Lesley

1979 Contemporary
1992 Off-site
1994 Carribean Beach
1999 Fort Wilderness and Coronado Springs
2000 Polynesian and Old Key West
2002 Boardwalk Villas

I wouldn't call it the CBR equivalent but I would call it CBR on steroids!! There are a lot of similarities in feel but it has definitely been kicked up a notch or ten!

Yes, just like CBR it is in no way a problem not to be right at Hospitality House. I've never felt a need myself. Unlike CBR the buses run through the area where you would be walking so it is very easy to hop on any bus at any stop and get a ride part of the way. (Sometimes housekeeping also picks up hitchikers.) It doesn't take much more than a 10 minute walk to get from any point of the resort back to the main area anyway.

The golf course just makes OKW incredibly beautiful. I think you'll be very happy.

My 1st disney trip in 95 we stayed at CBR and loved it.But where we stayed was the 1st bus stop,both getting on and off. I remember how jammed the bus was at the last stops-sometimes we had to drive by because no more could get on. The one big advantage at OKW is if you have a car-we always do- you park right at your door. The only disney bus we ever take is to MK because if you drive over you wait for parking lot shuttle to get to monorail or boats.Bus drops you right out front.Size wise CBR and OKW are very similar.

when I was first looking at OKW (in 1992) I was told that the OKW was modeled like CBR (I did not like the CBR, I liked the DL) - that almost stop me from buying - then I looked at the property. that sold me, in some ways they are the same - such as the hospitality house, and the only one entry, and the further you are from the action (hospitality house) the more you will probably complaint. But until the 60's were build the further away the newer, and that has advantages. DVC listened to what members wanted and the 40's and 50's are a little different floor plan than the 10's & 20's

There is no food court at OKW. Most do not eat all of their meals at Olivia's and there are pools at every bus stop area, so the Hospitality House is not an important component of OKW for me....except when I want to check in!

Every bus stops at Hosp House before leaving OKW, so it is a simple matter to get their if the 10 minute walk will be a hardship. Other than checking in and maybe one meal at Olivia's, we rarely spend any time at the Hosp House area.

For those who intend to eat all meals at Olivia's (or the Gurgling Suitcase ;) )- by all means seek a room nearby. Enjoy!

Doc
doc@wdwinfo.com

We stayed at CBR shortly after it opened, and we did not like it much. I would say OKW is nothing like CBR. It has a whole different feeling, and I thought the check in area at CBR was nearly inacessable. The only advantage CBR had was the walkway around the little man made pond.

Disneydiane
mickey36.gif

The styling is similar because of the caribbean/key west type of theme, and the colors in CBR reflect that island feel, but the interior is another story, OKW has the different size units from studio to GV where as the CBR is just motel rooms

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter