Should Disney offer a Non-Alcoholic Compromise on Dessert Parties?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure there are exceptions but for the majority, larger people eat more than thinner people. For the majority, weight is based on calorie consumption. I know some have thyroid or other medical issues that might make them overweight but that is not the majority. The point is, everyone is getting charged the same and some eat a little and some will sit and consume large amounts of food.
Once again, these are biases, not based in proven fact.. Perhaps many people fit your profile. But As a medical professional I can confidently tell you that weight is based on many factors, calorie consumption being only one of them. I am not going to debate with you..I just find your original statements narrow minded and offensive

I see no reason to offer that comprise. If I want to spend the money and find value, I make a purchase. Most of my family does not drink alcohol (They say I make up for all of them! LOL!) however I have never asked for a discount at the events that included wine and beer in the cost. I also never assumed I should have a discount since I won't drink that stuff and order what I will drink.

There will always be something that is not of value as it is sold, and those offers should not be removed in order to make a segment of the population happy.

Once again, these are biases, not based in proven fact.. Perhaps many people fit your profile. But As a medical professional I can confidently tell you that weight is based on many factors, calorie consumption being only one of them. I am not going to debate with you..I just find your original statements narrow minded and offensive

Not looking to offend anyone and I don't think my thinking in narrow minded. I think it is a known fact that the majority of overweight people intake too many calories and probably do not get enough exercise. I have overweight people in my extended family and have overweight friends. I see how much they eat. I myself am not thin and have to watch what I eat. When I over eat, I gain weight. Like I said before, there are exceptions but this is true for the majority of people. I have 4 cousins who had gastric bypass, they all lost a considerable amount of weight due to the fact that they could not overeat anymore.

Not looking to offend anyone and I don't think my thinking in narrow minded. I think it is a known fact that the majority of overweight people intake too many calories and probably do not get enough exercise. I have overweight people in my extended family and have overweight friends. I see how much they eat. I myself am not thin and have to watch what I eat. When I over eat, I gain weight. Like I said before, there are exceptions but this is true for the majority of people. I have 4 cousins who had gastric bypass, they all lost a considerable amount of weight due to the fact that they could not overeat anymore.

You would have been quite surprised had you been around me before I turned 45. I could eat 4 sandwiches for lunch, or perhaps a who box of Kraft Mac and Cheese. I used to eat before I went to dinner when I was dating my DH because I thought he would have fainted had he seen my appetite.

Now at 62 things have changed, however I still consume more food than any of my children and they all work harder than me (I do not work at all) at keeping weight down. I am not a health professional, however I wonder where you get your information because while calorie intake plays a big part in weight management, there are a whole host of factors that are dancing around in that equation as well.

I also need to say that while you say you do not want to offend, you can take it to the bank that your blanket statements regarding weight, etc are offensive. It is like prefacing an offensive statement with "With all due respect." We all know that the rest of that little comment will not be respectful.

I hope your family members who had that bypass do not regain their weight, because with that surgery weight gain is not related to just calorie intake. Their body's digestive functions are altered forever with that surgery so your premise that their inability to overeat has everything to do with their weight loss might fly in your face.

You would have been quite surprised had you been around me before I turned 45. I could eat 4 sandwiches for lunch, or perhaps a who box of Kraft Mac and Cheese. I used to eat before I went to dinner when I was dating my DH because I thought he would have fainted had he seen my appetite.

Now at 62 things have changed, however I still consume more food than any of my children and they all work harder than me (I do not work at all) at keeping weight down. I am not a health professional, however I wonder where you get your information because while calorie intake plays a big part in weight management, there are a whole host of factors that are dancing around in that equation as well.

I also need to say that while you say you do not want to offend, you can take it to the bank that your blanket statements regarding weight, etc are offensive. It is like prefacing an offensive statement with "With all due respect." We all know that the rest of that little comment will not be respectful.

I hope your family members who had that bypass do not regain their weight, because with that surgery weight gain is not related to just calorie intake. Their body's digestive functions are altered forever with that surgery so your premise that their inability to overeat has everything to do with their weight loss might fly in your face.

Just to be fair - caloric intake is the biggest factor in obesity. Any successful weight loss plan that is sustainable boils down to eat less or exercise more. Eat less calories (500 less a day) to lose weight, or exercise more to burn off the 500 calories.
You may be blessed with whatever a fast metabolism means, but for most people (outside of medical/psychological issues) - eat less or exercise more is the answer. Science.

Edited to add:

I'm 44, I can't eat as much as I used to and not gain weight. What I posted above still works for weight loss, but rather at this point instead of taking in less calories, I upped my exercise to burn the extra 500, or whatever I need to stay at maintenance.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited:
I do think that if Disney priced these special events accordingly that more people would book.

Which only becomes an issue if they can't get people to book. I don't believe that they have that issue right now. If they don't, there is simply no reason to lower prices to attract people. You charge what the market will bear and for as long as it will bear it, that's what they will charge. Whether it's fair or not or whether it's difficult to police if you added different tiers is irrelevant. Can they charge it? Will people book it up? That's all that counts in the end until it's no longer true.

With all due respect your entire posts sounds like you have (A) appointed yourself judge and jury and (B) you are judging just as much as those you accuse.

Since you are not a health professional maybe you should quit playing one on the DIS??????

With all due respect your entire posts sounds like you have (A) appointed yourself judge and jury and (B) you are judging just as much as those you accuse.

Since you are not a health professional maybe you should quit playing one on the DIS??????

With due respect, I don’t see it that way. I find it offensive that people judge eating habits by a persons size. The person I quoted insists that is so, and I do not agree.

I think this was mentioned up-thread, but if the pricing structure was as proposed, I doubt I'd drink $30 worth of alcohol during the course of a dessert party. It would serve me better to buy the non-alcoholic ticket price and just bring in a drink of my choosing, or grab one before or after the dessert party. Because of this possibility/mentality (among other things), I doubt we'd ever see Disney do a tiered pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter