Should Disney acquire a large theme park chain?

I think it needs to be something they would build ground up and even if it is a smaller park, still needs to be a true "Disney" park to have the impact

I wish they had the vision to find a place with year round decent climate (probably west of the Mississippi for the Marvel IP) and build a third Disney venue in the US to complement WDW/DLR. But Walt has been gone a long time.

No they shouldnt.

For one thing, there are no "large Theme park chains". Six Flags and Cedar are large AMUSEMENT park chains. there is no THEME, there is just a bunch of rides.

For Disney to add theme, they would have to invest more than building from scratch.

Prior to the new Coaster at Universal, Expedition Everest was the most expensive coaster to build, at 100 million. The amusement parks spend like 15 mil to build something bigger, higher, steeper, but with next to no theme.

I think it’s kind of silly to compare Six Flags and Disney because they aren’t comparable - at all.

Six Flags operating hours outside of summer are very limited, their rides are much shorter, most lines involve you waiting in an area that isn’t even shaded, food is terrible...

with that said, it’s ridiculously cheap. $60-70 will get you a season pass and parking. Another $50 will get you a meal and a snack with every visit.

Six Flags is like Motel 6 and Disney is more like Marriott.

Nobody compares Motel 6 to Marriott even though they‘re both in lodging. Six Flags and Disney Parks, while theme parks, are not the same.

I wish they had the vision to find a place with year round decent climate (probably west of the Mississippi for the Marvel IP) and build a third Disney venue in the US to complement WDW/DLR. But Walt has been gone a long time.

I've put a lot of thought into this, and the only place that logistically makes sense is outside Houston, Texas. When you think about infrastructure, being able to staff a park, weather, etc, Houston is one of the few areas that would work. Dallas might, but winter weather could affect things. That being said it'll never happen, the cost to build another park in the US would be insane. Shanghai was almost 6 Billion, and thats with China labor rates.

I've put a lot of thought into this, and the only place that logistically makes sense is outside Houston, Texas. When you think about infrastructure, being able to staff a park, weather, etc, Houston is one of the few areas that would work...
Disney already has two U.S. parks with horrific weather for most of the year. I would be far more interested in a 4 season park in the Midwest (or southern Ontario). Why should Parisiens be the only fans to enjoy real snow on Main Street?

Disney already has two U.S. parks with horrific weather for most of the year. I would be far more interested in a 4 season park in the Midwest (or southern Ontario). Why should Parisiens be the only fans to enjoy real snow on Main Street?
You consider California weather to be horrific? Just curious, I find that surprising. I do agree the wind can mean frequent firework cancellations, but I am curious what you mean?
I don’t live in California, so I find it really pleasant/mild?

Last edited:

Tokyo can and will get snow.

You consider California weather to be horrific? Just curious, I find that surprising. I do agree the wind can mean frequent firework cancellations, but I am curious what you mean?
I don’t live in California, so I find it really pleasant/mild?
Which parks are you talking about?
I am referring to Disney Land and Disney World.

Horrific may be an overstatement so far as Anaheim is concerned. I find the daytime unbearably hot from April through November, but the evenings there tend to be more tolerable than they are in Orlando.

I am referring to Disney Land and Disney World.
I was thrown off by you specifying 2 parks. So you think the weather is awful at all 6 US parks. There are certainly times when Orlando is oppressive but also lots of times when it’s not that bad.

I was thrown off by you specifying 2 parks. So you think the weather is awful at all 6 US parks. There are certainly times when Orlando is oppressive but also lots of times when it’s not that bad.
Sorry, should have said two resorts.

Putting my idiosyncratic weather preferences aside, if Disney ever were to build the third resort in the United States, I would like to see something a little different from what they already have here. Houston is essentially Orlando with better BBQ (NASA. near beaches and a cruise port. potential huricanes, ....).

Sorry, should have said two resorts.

Putting my idiosyncratic weather preferences aside, if Disney ever were to build the third resort in the United States, I would like to see something a little different from what they already have here. Houston is essentially Orlando with better BBQ (NASA. near beaches and a cruise port. potential huricanes, ....).
They did try to build Disney’s America in Manassas, VA but the locals shot it down. I think of that every time we pass the exit on 95.

The only chain I could see that has near enough quality would be Busch Gardens (Tampa and Williamsburg). They are a distant second to Disney of the parks I've visited. Six Flags is much too far off quality-wise and would have to be re-built from the ground up. Love Cedar Fair, especially Cedar Point but not much themeing there either. Could be an individual park like Hersheypark or Dollywood would work.

All that said...
No - can't see it ever happening. Of course, I don't think Marvel is a good fit either but Disney is shoe-horning that in wherever they can.

As someone who goes to Busch a lot (Williamsburg) I wouldn't want it to be Disney run. I feel like they're doing a pretty good job as is.

I agree that it would cheapen the brand and would be disastrous for the brand. I do agree with building a new park in Southeast Texas with the same high quality that would attract crowds, make money forDisney and make Orlando less crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!