Should Disney acquire a large theme park chain?

TresGriffin

Mouseketeer
So, this is an interesting thought that was sparked by discussion in another thread:

How would y’all feel if Disney one day announced that they’re acquiring a larger chain of theme parks, like Six Flags or Cedar Fair?

Personally, I don’t think it’s too far fetched an idea. They could buy these parks and spruce them up a bit. Now, here’s the thing. Unlike their current parks, it won’t be “Disney”. You won’t see a Mickey Mouse or a castle or anything like that in these. These will still be coaster-heavy parks, but with improved service and theming. I can imagine this being a good place to use some of their newly-acquired Fox IP that might not fit well in WDW or Disneyland. But I do see Disney thinking of it as a way of making some revenue make money from people who are “between trips” to WDW and Disneyland.

Just an interesting thought.

The idea is frightening. There is something special when Disney builds something from the ground up. I just imagine as a local, Disney buying Cedar Point and throwing up some basic themeing and changing the name of the rides how off putting that would be. Imagine if they just added a few things and changed the name Star Tours to Smugglers Run, I venture to say that most Disney fans would be disappointed if that is what we got for Galaxy's Edge.

I don't necessarily see the point - their parks division makes money and all they talk about is making the existing parks "more Disney" and adding more IP to them

I know there are a lot of thoughts out there about how Disney can deal with crowds and having "more parks" is often an answer, but I think it needs to be something they would build ground up and even if it is a smaller park, still needs to be a true "Disney" park to have the impact

I don't see it either. You're talking more overhead, more potential lawsuits if something goes wrong, more labor squabbles, etc. IPs are a lot safer acquisition, at least from a liability standpoint.

I don't necessarily see the point
Same here. I don't really see how it would benefit them. It wouldn't ease crowding at existing parks. It wouldn't drive new guests to the existing parks. I assume those regional parks are profitable but Disney makes gobs more money with one popular movie than those parks probably make in 10 years.

And I don't see it benefiting those parks either. Disney would probably hike prices which could actually hurt their business. And even if they don't introduce full Disney stuff to the regional parks, they might clean them up to make them more Disney-like, which would fundamentally change the nature of those parks.

I don’t think this wouldn’t make much sense for Disney in any way.

The only possible one I could see would be SeaWorld but even then it doesn’t make much sense.

SeaWorld does seem primed for someone to buy them eventually though.

Last edited:

I this wouldn’t make much sense for Disney in any way.

The only possible one I could see would be SeaWorld but even then it doesn’t make much sense.

SeaWorld does seem primed for someone to buy them eventually though.
I could see a Herschend/SWE Merger at some point, actually. (With Dolly retaining her share of Dollywood)

Why would they want to take over all the rides and then have the liability of systems potentially not built to their spec. Having an engineering team go out there and assess everything? No way.

What a great conversation starter - as you can see most are not in favor.

I'm not in favor of it either, BUT, oddly enough, I could get behind Universal getting involved with some of the local Six Flags parks....hmmmmm

What a great conversation starter - as you can see most are not in favor.

I'm not in favor of it either, BUT, oddly enough, I could get behind Universal getting involved with some of the local Six Flags parks....hmmmmm

Yeah it’s just a random thought I had. Nothing I’m either for or against. Just wondering if I was the only person who ever thought about that kind of thing. I should point out that in my mind, the “Disney-Owned Six Flags” scenario would be a different division from Disney Parks. I was thinking of something like a “21st Century Parks” division. Not saying it’s something that should happen but it’d be interesting how it would play out if it did.

Actually the Universal thing sounds interesting too.

I know I wouldn't want it happen. I love my high thrill coaster parks. Would hate to see Cedar Point become a more little friendly park. Disney would never build something like Dragster. Who doesn't like to ride a coaster that goes 120 mph in 4 secs and up 420 feet.

Disney would never build something like Dragster. Who doesn't like to ride a coaster that goes 120 mph in 4 secs and up 420 feet.
Isn't Dragster the same ride as Kingda Ka at Great Adventure? I was actually disappointed with that because it's basically just the launch, the climb and drop, and back to the station. I'd like it a lot better if there was more to the track than that, maybe some loops or corkscrews or something. It's not worth waiting in line for.

Honestly I'd kind of like it for certain parks. King's Island here used to be nice. Went every year as a kid up until I was into my twenties I've been to it twice under Cedar Fair ownership for 70$ each day and will not go again. Maybe Disney could do something with it.

So, this is an interesting thought that was sparked by discussion in another thread:

How would y’all feel if Disney one day announced that they’re acquiring a larger chain of theme parks, like Six Flags or Cedar Fair?

Personally, I don’t think it’s too far fetched an idea. They could buy these parks and spruce them up a bit. Now, here’s the thing. Unlike their current parks, it won’t be “Disney”. You won’t see a Mickey Mouse or a castle or anything like that in these. These will still be coaster-heavy parks, but with improved service and theming. I can imagine this being a good place to use some of their newly-acquired Fox IP that might not fit well in WDW or Disneyland. But I do see Disney thinking of it as a way of making some revenue make money from people who are “between trips” to WDW and Disneyland.

Just an interesting thought.

They’re already having enough trouble keeping up their standard of service in the current parks... expanding would be very stupid.

Isn't Dragster the same ride as Kingda Ka at Great Adventure? I was actually disappointed with that because it's basically just the launch, the climb and drop, and back to the station. I'd like it a lot better if there was more to the track than that, maybe some loops or corkscrews or something. It's not worth waiting in line for.

Dragster is close to the same. I find Dragster much more intense as it's only a lap bar. Makes it a much better ride. I would love to see Big Thunder Mountain made into a ride like Steel Vengeance. It has a 90 degree 200 foot drop with 4 inversions. It only uses a lap bar. You only need to be 48 inches tall to ride.

I heard Disney inquired on buying either Tampa or the Marlin's. If Tampa they would move the team to ESPN wide world of sports in 3 years. Contractor said wide world of sports stadium would be expanded to 43000 and ready to go in 2 years. Count on it.

Honestly I'd kind of like it for certain parks. King's Island here used to be nice. Went every year as a kid up until I was into my twenties I've been to it twice under Cedar Fair ownership for 70$ each day and will not go again. Maybe Disney could do something with it.

I was there a couple of years ago and I loved the park. They have some really good coasters. Mystic Timbers is a great coaster and looking forward to Orion next year. After Cedar Point, King's Island is the 2nd best park in the chain.

What has changed that you don't like?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!