Should Chickens Stay Away??

Lothlórien

Living the Mouse Dream
We have been to Disney more times that I can count. Many, many times. :)
I have never been to Universal, though I am always here.

I have watched quite a few videos of Universal rides on YouTube, but most are dark and you cannot make a lot of it out.

My father-in-law is taking the whole family to Florida in the fall. We are going to go to Universal for 2 days, at least that is the current consideration.

Our group has ages 10 - 70. Everybody loves Disney. We have people in the group who are (depending on which family member we are talking about) claustrophobic, afraid of heights, prone to motions sickness, scared of drops in rides and not a fan of "dropping simulations". We also have some that just do not coasters or rides with drops. Again, we all love Disney and find plenty to do. I think the rides that a good portion of us avoid are Tower of Terror, Rock n Roller Coaster, Everest, Triceratop Spin, Splash Mountain and some avoid Space Mountain because of the hard quick tossing about.

Taking that into consideration, will there be enough for us to do for two days? We are clearly not thrill seekers. :) The youngest, 10, he is scared of anything he is not familiar with. The two oldest are 70 and do not like being tossed around. Even Big Thunder is a bit much for them.

There are so many differnet kinds of rides (and a lot of the lines are worth seeing)...I would say do the rides people want to do, and the ones that don't like that particular ride can use the chicken exit & browse the gift shop.

There are a lot of shows (especially on the Studios side), and many kiddie rides in addition to many thrill rides. Theming is great as well. Unless you have group member who will grumble and moan all day, I'd say go for it, and have a blast!

Maybe just check out which rides would be best for different members of the group & try not to clump too many of the same kind together :D

Yes, you can still stay occupied for 2 days, and an enjoyable 2 days. Keep in mind, exploring/eating at the hotels is very accessible and a great way to get away for a little bit!

Check the UO website and get ride info there

Sounds like you are very hesitant to try a park you have ever been to before

May be just do one day at the
Darkside instead of two

I can't imagine not just trying it. Even if you just walk around and take it all in, you'll still have fun. You never know, you might like it.

Darkside instead of two
I'm not at all hesitant to try something new. I'm not sure how you got that out of my post? :confused3 I just don't want my FIL spending a bunch of money if Universal is pretty much for people who like thrills...Or all geared to small kids.

Last edited:
There are so many differnet kinds of rides (and a lot of the lines are worth seeing)...I would say do the rides people want to do, and the ones that don't like that particular ride can use the chicken exit & browse the gift shop.

There are a lot of shows (especially on the Studios side), and many kiddie rides in addition to many thrill rides. Theming is great as well. Unless you have group member who will grumble and moan all day, I'd say go for it, and have a blast!

Maybe just check out which rides would be best for different members of the group & try not to clump too many of the same kind together :D

Thank you. That is very helpful. Looking at their website, it seems like it is either for small kids or thrill seekers. No in-between. Perhaps I need to seek out a fan site instead the official page to get a better idea. I appreciate the helpful response.

hey there! there's a lot of different types of rides at universal, and even though there's more thrill rides overall there's still plenty for the weak of heart!

the coasters you want to avoid are rip ride rockit, the incredible hulk, and dragon challenge. the mummy and escape from gringotts are both part "dark ride" and part rollercoaster. they're still scary but a bit tamer... also, avoid dr. doom's fearfall; that's akin to the tower of terror.

islands of adventure has a few water rides. jurassic park and ripsaw falls both have a big drop at the end like splash mountain, while popeye is a river rapids ride that's a bit tamer. you'll be soaked either way!

continuing, there's two types of simulators: "tracked" ones and "theater" ones. both have effects to simulate flying, falling, etc. (as well as tactile fog, water, and heat effects) but are not all that scary. the tracked ones are comparable to toy story midway mania, and the theater ones are closer to star tours.

spider man, escape from gringotts, and transformers are all tracked simulators. forbidden journey is similar, but the ride vehicle is on an arm, so it feels a lot like flying; it's a bit scary, but great fun! (but if you suffer from motion sickness, you'll probably want to skip it...)

minion mayhem, simpsons, race through new york, and shrek are all theater based. you'll tilt and move a little bit in your seat, but you're mostly staying put. there's also stationary seating for all of these except for simpsons, i think. if you'd rather do that, it's about the same experience!

there's kiddie coasters and rides too! the two kiddie coasters are flight of the hippogriff and woody woodpecker, which are both comparable to big thunder mountain in terms of thrill. some fun "flat" rides that aren't scary include kang & kodos (basically dumbo), storm force accelatron (teacups), E.T. (a dark ride, like peter pan), men in black (a shoot em up ride like buzz lightyear, but with spinning) and the hogwarts express (a ride that links the two sections of harry potter)!

there's also a lot of live entertainment and shows that don't have a fear factor. i'd really recommend seeing the blues brothers in new york, the horror makeup show (though it's a bit gory), and terminator 3D (likewise).

it's even fun to just look around you and take in your surroundings! there's plenty of fun details in both parks, especially islands of adventure. actually, this is a lot of the fun of the harry potter sections, since there's so many secrets to uncover!

hope that helps! have a fantastic trip!

Best advice above from mac.........check out the website and see how many of the rides appeal to you and your group........

What anyone else can do you might not want to. Everyone's perceptions of rides are very different. I find Dragon Challenge tame and smooth, others don't.

I would disagree there's nothing for the inbetweeners........lots of friends don't have little kids and are not all thrilled seekers and all love Universal. Gringotts for example isn't bad. No big drops, its a bit dark in bits, but it doesn't induce motion sickness in people.......it kinda swooshes you around after the initial part.......it's a little fast but not terrifyingly so. Fabulous ride.........for everyone.

I am timid towards rides by nature. And still find lots to do. Love Gringotts, spiderman, transformers. All of Suess Landing. Plus Both parks have some cool areas to just explore. Jurassic Park has a neat area to run around.

There are only a couple major coasters. There is still lots to do without doing them.

hey there! there's a lot of different types of rides at universal, and even though there's more thrill rides overall there's still plenty for the weak of heart!

the coasters you want to avoid are rip ride rockit, the incredible hulk, and dragon challenge. the mummy and escape from gringotts are both part "dark ride" and part rollercoaster. they're still scary but a bit tamer... also, avoid dr. doom's fearfall; that's akin to the tower of terror.

islands of adventure has a few water rides. jurassic park and ripsaw falls both have a big drop at the end like splash mountain, while popeye is a river rapids ride that's a bit tamer. you'll be soaked either way!

continuing, there's two types of simulators: "tracked" ones and "theater" ones. both have effects to simulate flying, falling, etc. (as well as tactile fog, water, and heat effects) but are not all that scary. the tracked ones are comparable to toy story midway mania, and the theater ones are closer to star tours.

spider man, escape from gringotts, and transformers are all tracked simulators. forbidden journey is similar, but the ride vehicle is on an arm, so it feels a lot like flying; it's a bit scary, but great fun! (but if you suffer from motion sickness, you'll probably want to skip it...)

minion mayhem, simpsons, race through new york, and shrek are all theater based. you'll tilt and move a little bit in your seat, but you're mostly staying put. there's also stationary seating for all of these except for simpsons, i think. if you'd rather do that, it's about the same experience!

there's kiddie coasters and rides too! the two kiddie coasters are flight of the hippogriff and woody woodpecker, which are both comparable to big thunder mountain in terms of thrill. some fun "flat" rides that aren't scary include kang & kodos (basically dumbo), storm force accelatron (teacups), E.T. (a dark ride, like peter pan), men in black (a shoot em up ride like buzz lightyear, but with spinning) and the hogwarts express (a ride that links the two sections of harry potter)!

there's also a lot of live entertainment and shows that don't have a fear factor. i'd really recommend seeing the blues brothers in new york, the horror makeup show (though it's a bit gory), and terminator 3D (likewise).

it's even fun to just look around you and take in your surroundings! there's plenty of fun details in both parks, especially islands of adventure. actually, this is a lot of the fun of the harry potter sections, since there's so many secrets to uncover!

hope that helps! have a fantastic trip!

That helps immensely!! Grazie Mille.

Darkside instead of two

Best advice above from mac.........check out the website and see how many of the rides appeal to you and your group........

What anyone else can do you might not want to. Everyone's perceptions of rides are very different. I find Dragon Challenge tame and smooth, others don't.

I would disagree there's nothing for the inbetweeners........lots of friends don't have little kids and are not all thrilled seekers and all love Universal. Gringotts for example isn't bad. No big drops, its a bit dark in bits, but it doesn't induce motion sickness in people.......it kinda swooshes you around after the initial part.......it's a little fast but not terrifyingly so. Fabulous ride.........for everyone.

I believe the in-laws did check out the official website first and they felt there was not enough information. I also looked and can understand why they felt it was vague (at least for the details they are looking for).
I tried to tell them to go to YouTube, but they are 70....afraid of the internet. :rotfl2:

I found a fan site this morning and sent them a link. It is not as comprehensive as something for Disney, but it will have to work. Honestly, I think in the end, my FIL wont care about the money he is spending since he is doing this for his family, but to me - $2300 on tickets for very little entertainment is a lot. I guess as long as we are all together that is the biggest thing.

The website isn't as good as it used to be, it's not as easy to find things anymore.

Park maps, the layout and all ride descriptions are there.

Hope you have a great time whatever you decide to do.........:)

I would also add that there are some fun interactive things. The Wands that you can buy in Harry Potter and do spells all day. The Spitting fountain. The Hogwarts express has an atmosphere too. It is a train ride with lots of great interaction. No drops at all.

Also Celestina Warbeck and her Banshees are always worth seeing. I am neither thrill seeker or a child but I love Universal. One Fish two fish also like Dumbo. The Suess Trolley in the sky is a great ride and you are very secure for anyone afraid of heights. The Raptor interaction at Jurassic park.

Pick up the Unofficial Guide if you have some time. Their guides are loaded with information.

https://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-G...ds=unofficial+guide+to+universal+orlando+2017

I totally get your hesitation. We are a family of 3. I have motion sickness and DD, 12, loves coasters but is terrified of anything remotely dark or spooky. We love Disney but haven't ventured to Universal yet because, like you, we're just not sure how much of it we'll have to skip. I find the Universal Orlando website to be very unfriendly and confusing in information and booking so the Unofficial Guide was a big help for us.

The old website for UO worked fine

I'm not satisfied with the new one yet

Going from link to link slows me down and gets on my nerves too

I constantly try new approaches to get a better handle on it

Some things are best left alone for ease of securing info quickly

I do find what I am looking for eventually but rather it be more precise and streamlined

The old website for UO worked fine

I'm not satisfied with the new one yet

Going from link to link slows me down and gets on my nerves too

I constantly try new approaches to get a better handle on it

Some things are best left alone for ease of securing info quickly

I do find what I am looking for eventually but rather it be more precise and streamlined

Yes, that's the annoying thing, all the info is there in the website........finding it isn't always simple.

Older website wasn't perfect, but I do miss it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter